Malfunction - Visit Workshop

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rdavis0521 said:
I may be in the minority on this. But it doesn't seem that this mode get you anything that cannot be accomplished with standard E mode. I really don't need to be forced from doing jackrabbit starts, and I can turn down the fan manually. So to me the E+ mode seems to be a bit of a nonevent. I have gotten almost 100 miles out of a standard charge driving in E mode. I really doubt that it would do much better. I guess time will tell as others get a chance to try this mode.

"I don't need that..."? That's a slippery slope. Sure, and power windows don't accomplish anything you couldn't do manually.

But conveniences are nice and even to be expected from a luxury brand.

"I don't need that..."? That's a slippery slope. Sure, and power windows don't accomplish anything you couldn't do manually.

Indeed you are correct. I'm just saying for me, my vehicle doesn't have it. I get great range without it, so I won't miss it. I certainly understand those who feel it's important to have. Power windows to me are much more important that an E+ mode. :D

It appears that Mercedes has a software update campaign for the B Class Electric. This was in my Repair Order when I got the car back from the dealer:

242 SOFTWARE UPDATE CAMPAIGN
Story: 1446 CAMPAIGN 2015010004 PERFORMED SOFTWARE UPDATE OF PTCU

Unfortunately, it took them a whole day to figure out that was the problem. I wonder if they check for software updates before they hand the new cars over to the customers. That would be a good thing to do as cars are getting more and more dependent on computer technology. And, yes, the E+ drive mode seems to have gone bye bye.

I asked about that before delivery yesterday and was told by the sales rep that it is part of the delivery checklist that all software updates and service bulletins be performed before delivery.

No E+ mode to be found on mine, so I assume it was done.

I had a similar error message, which then disappeared after turning the car off and then on again. I noticed that the range decreased after the error message (even though it was 20 degrees outside and the car had 150 miles on it total). I took it into MB who told me the problem was a SW upgrade. They did the upgrade and charged it in their warm basement garage. It showed more range (even though the range meter is not that realistic). It went from 46 miles on a full charge to over 70 miles on a full charge. I also initially had the E+ option. I too noticed that after the upgrade, that option was gone, and I think it was a very nice feature. Anyway, I took it back to the dealer and the E+ option is gone and cannot be put back according to the dealer, which was very disappointing and strange to get an upgrade but lose a feature!! This was February 3, 2015. It is now February 27, 2015 and I got a "Urgent Recall Notice" that "Recall #242 SW update is needed". I am hesitant to take it in anymore. Does anyone know what this update does?

Also, has anyone had experience with using a Clipper Creek HCS-60 EVSE with the B Class?

I just got the campaign letter and spoke to my dealer. The Campaign No. is 2015010004 , February 2015

Subject Model 242 (B-Class), Model Year 2014
Update Powertrain Control Module

This is a required software update for about 880 vehicles according to the letter and corrects a condition where he fault message "Visit Workshop" or Do not shift gears" appears in the instrument cluster.

The fix is a software update.

Well, I went to my dealer today. On my 003426 vin that firmware does not apply. I have received the error once and a power cycle fixed it. Hopefully it will soon be resolved.

First thanks to those who post problems, helps greatly when you have a similar occurance. So at around 500 miles my Visit Workshop warning light went on. Just prior got a red light display on the included 110 charger. Unplugged from the outlet replugged back in car charged fine. Turned the car to aux position and got warning. Turned car off and then on again without incident. Drove the car without issues for the past day. I also have the E+ mode and not only like it but believe it gives the car a unique regen feel and an additional 15% range. Would hate to lose it to an unnecessary SW update. Will bead over to MB over the weekend if it occurs again.

First thanks to those who post problems, helps greatly when you have a similar occurance. So at around 500 miles my Visit Workshop warning light went on. Just prior got a red light display on the included 110 charger. Unplugged from the outlet replugged back in car charged fine. Turned the car to aux position and got warning. Turned car off and then on again without incident. Drove the car without issues for the past day. I also have the E+ mode and not only like it but believe it gives the car a unique regen feel and an additional 15% range. Would hate to lose it to an unnecessary SW update. Will bead over to MB over the weekend if it occurs again.

From what I have read here the software update fixes a serious bug, MB wouldn't be reaching out to owners and drawing attention to it otherwise. Enjoy E+ while you can, at some point i bet you have to give it up or risk more serious problems.

Also I got the visit workshop day two of owning the car by plugging into what was a non functional charger in a town parking lot. Never happened again since.

TheStig said:
From what I have read here the software update fixes a serious bug, MB wouldn't be reaching out to owners and drawing attention to it otherwise. Enjoy E+ while you can, at some point i bet you have to give it up or risk more serious problems.

Also I got the visit workshop day two of owning the car by plugging into what was a non functional charger in a town parking lot. Never happened again since.

Good point in noting that MB has reached out to customers, a sign for sure of what could be serious. You did mention you yourself had gotten the "malfunction" message only once. Did you bring it in for updating?

My car was delivered with the update applied (no E+ mode), dealer said all cars are 100% current on software at delivery / sale. I suggest you get it done, who knows what other bugs that are fixed in that software update they just don't tell us about them.

The visit workshop error I chalked up to a bum charger my town isn't maintaining. I emailed the mayor to see who or how they can be repaired. We have 3 "free" Clipper Creek 7Kw chargers in a town garage near shopping, 2 were dead and the 3rd threw the error message on the car. We pay to park in the garage, so at least let me charge for my money....

Back