Anyone using Juice Box?

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stu1021

I picked up my Mountain Grey/Ash "B-ED" on Saturday. Have been struggling to get thru the week with the stock charger. I ordered a Juice Box Pro and was curious if anyone has experience on charging times. I have installed a 50A 14-50R at home and the office in anticipation of it arriving next week.

Looks like Juice Box pro is 40a / 10kW, so expect a full charge from near dead in about 4 hours. Most of the time you don't run the charge nearly that low and charge times are much faster. Extended charge adds 30 minutes.

Either way you have the right outlets installed and a charger that will allow the max charge rate MB / Telsa gave us.

Did you buy 2 chargers for home and office or moving it back and forth?

My plan for now is to carry it with me instead of the stock Mercedes one and have adapters to utilize other outlet configurations that I run into.

stu1021 said:
My plan for now is to carry it with me instead of the stock Mercedes one and have adapters to utilize other outlet configurations that I run into.

I put the thousand dollar reeking pile of junk EVSE on the shelf. I built up a 24A OpenEVSE and a 120V adapter. If you are really lucky and plug into a 20A circuit by yourself you can up the L1 current to 16A (80% of 20A).

My first week with the new charger has been great. I use between 40-45% on my commute - car is back at 100% in less than 2 hours. I am much happier with the car now!

I got my JuiceBox installed on Saturday. I was using the level 1 charger for a few weeks, and I am really glad I upgraded to level 2. I didn't like the documentation for setting it up on my home Wi-Fi, it got the job done but was felt rather complicated. Now I can charge in the middle of the night.

I've go my JuiceBox Pro hooked up to a 40amp 220 circuit that was originally used for an electric oven ( we use gas now). I charge at a rate of 10.5kW. Set it to start a midnight so i get lower rates from PG&E (8 cent per kwh)

Lots of B-Class ED drivers use our JESLA 40 amp (9.6kW) J1772 / Type 1 premium portable charging cable works at up to full power on every known J1772 equipped vehicle in the world.

JESLA was designed specifically with the unique 40 amp Tesla onboard charger that is in a Mercedes B-Class ED, Toyota RAV4 EV, and of course Tesla cars, but it also works equally fantastic with cars like the BMW i3, Fiat 500e, Chevy Volt, Kia Soul EV or Nissan LEAF. It is ultra flexible, light weight (only 8 pounds total!), and portable, PLUS it adjusts from 100 to 250 volts and 12 to 40 amps, automatically.

JESLA is not a hobbyist product. There is no "nerdy" programming required, no wifi, no Bluetooth, no "version 136z.2a" software update, and no technical jargon required. JESLA does have a simple light that indicates it is working. JESLA also does NOT use very heavy and stiff Chinese cables of other products.

You (and me) bought a premium electric vehicle; you and your car deserve the very best charging equipment. You don't have to know anything about electricity and no installation required. Full power, lightweight, portable, super flexible, and can plug in anywhere...

Just Plug-N-Chargetm!!!

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JESLA-is-THE-40-amp-J1772-portable-charging-solution-JESLA.htm

JELSA ships with NEMA 14-50 and NEMA 5-15 plugs, a padlock, plus a carrying bag. Additionally, you may want to buy the correct plug for your dryer (handy for visiting friends or relatives at their house) or for motel air conditioners:

...........................................VOLTS / AMPS.....kW
NEMA 5-15* ......Standard Outlet.. 120 V / 12 A...... 1.4 kW
NEMA 5-20 ...... Motel A/C .......... 120 V / 16A....... 1.9 kW
NEMA 10-30......Older Dryers........ 240 V / 24 A...... 5.8 kW
NEMA 14-30......Newer Dryers...... 240 V / 24 A...... 5.8 kW (out of stock)
NEMA 14-50*.....RV Parks ........... 240 V / 40 A...... 9.6 kW

*included plugs

Oh yeah the JuiceBox will handle up to 60 amps, for your future needs and if you can program a TIVO you can program a JuiceBox.

Johnsie said:
Oh yeah the JuiceBox will handle up to 60 amps, for your future needs and if you can program a TIVO you can program a JuiceBox.

No, that unit DOES NOT handle 60 amps.

It has a relay that is rated at 60 amps, but all the other components are for less than 60 amps.

You would have to replace every power component (except the relay)... inlet cable from wall, J1772 cable, J1772 pins and plug, etc, in order for it to be "60 amp" capable. In other words, the only thing left is the box and circuit card.

By the way, you can buy a "60 amp" relay from China for about $10.

Using that "60 amp" logic, every charge station is 80 amps, since that's what the J1772 standard is in the USA, "with enough upgrades".

It's just dishonest advertising. We don't do that.

Our JESLA will handle 40 amps ALL DAY LONG, without modification and without blowing smoke up your six o'clock.

No car exists that takes more than 40 amps in North America except the Tesla Roadster, and Model S/X with "twin chargers". They take 70 and 80 amps, respectively. Tesla actually stopped shipping new cars with twin charger from the factory (service center installed only) and, of course, the Roadster is no longer in production.

Johnsie said:
How much is a JESLA? :lol: :lol:

If you have to ask you can not afford one.

As I understand it, Tony buys them from Tesla at retail and then he puts a J1772 plug on it. With everything plus profit you are looking at around a grand. A lot for a very nice small charger.

Many Mercedes owners can afford it with pocket change. I AM NOT ONE OF THEM! After all, lose the L1 charger and Mercedes wants a grand for a replacement.

I have a Juicebox Classic 40. It works very well. It's not as portable as a Jesla, but it's also much less expensive ($500 vs $1100). For those who want/need portable charging options or the option of having multiple plug-in adaptors, Jesla is clearly the winner. For home charging, I would highly recommend the Juicebox. By the way, if you order directly from eMotorwerks (http://www.emotorwerks.com/products/online-store/category/listing/23-juicebox-ev-charging-stations), you can request a longer 25 ft cord instead of the previous 20 ft cord for the same price.

Johnsie said:
I've go my JuiceBox Pro hooked up to a 40amp 220 circuit that was originally used for an electric oven ( we use gas now). I charge at a rate of 10.5kW. Set it to start a midnight so i get lower rates from PG&E (8 cent per kwh)

Do you have a 50amp breaker to charge at 40amps? 10.5kW seems high for 40amps. With 85% efficiency, I thought the numbers would look like this:

30A (7.2kW) is 24A continuous =5.76kW
40A (9.6kW) is 32A continuous =7.68kW
50A (12kW) is 40A continuous =9.6kW

Do you have a 50amp breaker to charge at 40amps? 10.5kW seems high for 40amps. With 85% efficiency, I thought the numbers would look like this:

Those figures are correct for 240V. As it happens, the voltage at my home registers at 250V, so my power numbers are slightly higher.

The Jesla is a superb piece of engineering, and I am extremely happy with its performance and incredibly compact size. I guess the only other brand I would consider is Clipper Creek but with the JampJR coming out I think I would just pick up one of those as a second EVSE. Tony Williams is there a picture of the JAMPJR yet?

Why the Jesla ir a superb EVSE, Many are like me where price matters. You can buy the JuiceBox essentials for $100. Add cables and a box you are in the $350 range. I built two to prove the JuiceBox concept,. Both passed the safety checks. I normally build and support Open EVSE but the JuiceBox works as a no frils evse. I would like at least a charging indicator.

OftheSeven said:
Johnsie said:

This is the correct power.

No EVSE, not even JESLA, will allow you to charge faster than 10kW (250 volts * 40 amps). Power remains the same through 277 volts (max) at 36 amps.

Back