32A Deluxe OpenEVSE is Sold

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlennD

I have an OpenEVSE I just constructed for sale. A tested timer is available for $10 additional. The photo in MNL shows it charging my B Class at 32A.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=18992

I am not replacing it at all. I am retired and I build OpenEVSE's as a hobby. There is a photo of my installed EVSE in the missing charge timer thread. This is the first EVSE I have constructed with the enhanced meter.

I like the 4 active displays. The KWH is resettable so it can keep track of your energy use. I have built 3 units with its little brother that only displays one reading at a time. The only downside of the meter is that it is huge and will not mount in the boxes I usually use.

Ferdball said:
Is there a delay timer that can be added to this?

What is a 14-40 plug? Is that a typo?

Yes it i really a 14-50 plug. It was a typo. As it exists it does not have a timer. One can be added for $10. It is a stand alone board with a DS1307 timer chip.The one I normally use at home has this timer chip and it works very well. I left the timer and color display off to keep it at $400 but it certainly can be upgraded. A color display is nice but a monochrome works well.

It seems to me most B Class owners will want the RTC. I will include it for free. It works well on my B Class.

Well, I had some spare time so I added the RTC. You can see it in my MNL for sale. It does not change the price. This makes it the thing to have for a B Class delayed charge or a Nissan stripper Leaf S.

I have been charging my B to burn it in and so far it is flawless. I have charged over 100KWH according the the meter.

Today I used the range option and I made it home from the TRW swap meet with energy to spare. Quite a change from my old Leaf SL. After a week I love my B Class! Unlike my Leaf I did not go 55 mph to insure I could get there and back. (39 miles each way) When I pulled into my driveway the GOM said 37 miles and the energy gauge was at quarter scale.

Glenn, if I didn't already have two prospective chargers, this would have been a great option for me. I hope you're able to sell a few to keep the effort going.

Ferdball said:
Glenn, if I didn't already have two prospective chargers, this would have been a great option for me. I hope you're able to sell a few to keep the effort going.

I am thinking about stopping construction. I have made 40-50 OpenEVSE units and demand has slacked off. It was a good hobby and kept me busy in my retirement.

stu1021 said:
Are you still selling these? Do you have any pics available?

I am still building OpenEVSE units. I usually post them on My Nissan Leaf since they have a for sale area. I usually make 30A units since everyone can use them.

For 40A units like the one in my garage I have the user purchase the cable from Quick Charge Power and have it shipped to me. That way they can have a length that works for them. When I had a Leaf I needed a 25 foot cable to head in. For my B Class a short cable works fine. I used a 20 foot cable but a 15 foot one would work fine. My EVSE is at the left front of my garage.

OpenEVSE is just that, open. I have used a variety of add on meters. The basic is a display and a combo volt amp meter from China for around ten dollars extra. There is also meters that measure more, for of course, more money. In its most basic state it has nothing, it just works. Most people want at least some indication of its state.

At Chris Howell's store he offers up to complete kits.

Back