Is there a onboard Timer on B Class? and the best EV charger

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
If a NEMA 14-50 is on a 30 amp circuit, IT IS UNSAFE and done incorrectly. Please don't use it. I seriously doubt that Mercedes will allow adjustable amperage (like Tesla does on their cars),

JELSA ships with NEMA 14-50 and NEMA 5-15 plugs, a padlock, plus a carrying bag. Additionally, you may want to buy the correct plug for the amperage requested.

...........................................VOLTS / AMPS.....kW
NEMA 5-15* ......Standard Outlet.. 120 V / 12 A...... 1.4 kW
NEMA 5-20 ...... Motel A/C .......... 120 V / 16A....... 1.9 kW
NEMA 10-30......Older Dryers........ 240 V / 24 A...... 5.8 kW
NEMA 14-30......Newer Dryers...... 240 V / 24 A...... 5.8 kW (out of stock)
NEMA 14-50*.....RV Parks ........... 240 V / 40 A...... 9.6 kW

*included plugs

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JESLA-is-THE-40-amp-J1772-portable-charging-solution-JESLA.htm

As I said, Tony supports his products. It looks like he responded as soon as he saw the message.

The Mercedes B Class EV can only reduce the L1 current. The L2 current is the full 40A if the pilot says that is available. The default plug will indicate more current is available. THIS IS DANGEROUS AND IT COULD CAUSE A FIRE IF THE BREAKER FAILS TO TRIP!

The modified Tesla EVSE sets the current to match the plug installed. A 14-50P would require a 50A circuit. That is far more than a dryer requires.

So just to be clear, If I use the 10-30 special UMC adaptor with the Jesla the Jesla gets dialed down to 30 amp rate?

Also, wouldn't it be more typical for a 14-50 socket to be on a 40 Amp breaker? I have 6 gauge wire and a 50 Amp breaker.
-William

wtzouris said:
So just to be clear, If I use the 10-30 special UMC adaptor with the Jesla the Jesla gets dialed down to 30 amp rate?

Also, wouldn't it be more typical for a 14-50 socket to be on a 40 Amp breaker? I have 6 gauge wire and a 50 Amp breaker.
-William

An EVSE is considered a continuous load. a 40A EVSE requires a 50A circuit. 80% of 50A is 40A. A 40A circuit can handle 32A and a 30A circuit can handle 24A. Since the EVSE could charge for loger than 3 hours the NEC requires the circuit to be 125% of the charging current.

A 40A EVSE should have the L wires at #6 and the ground and neutral can be #8. It requires a 50A breaker.

wtzouris wrote:
So just to be clear, If I use the 10-30 special UMC adaptor with the JESLA the JESLA gets dialed down to 30 amp rate?

I also believe that the Tesla adapters only allow an 80% charge rate. So it 10–30 would allow for 24 A.

Edit: Just checked the Tesla website and the 10-30 adaptor will only charge at 24A.

wtzouris said:

-William

NEMA 14-50, like any 50 amp outlet, should be on a 50 amp breaker. The NEC allows 40 amp breakers, since there are no 40 amp outlets. It's a dumb move on NEC's behalf, but that was the compromise.

When you plug into a NEMA 14-50 with JESLA, and plug into your B-Class ED (or Toyota RAV4 EV or Tesla), it will pull 40 amps continuous.

THIS IS NOT SAFE ON A 40 AMP CIRCUIT BREAKER.

...........................................VOLTS / AMPS.....kW
NEMA 5-15* ......Standard Outlet.. 120 V / 12 A...... 1.4 kW
NEMA 5-20 ...... Motel A/C .......... 120 V / 16A....... 1.9 kW
NEMA 10-30......Older Dryers........ 240 V / 24 A...... 5.8 kW <<<<<######
NEMA 14-30......Newer Dryers...... 240 V / 24 A...... 5.8 kW (out of stock)
NEMA 14-50*.....RV Parks ........... 240 V / 40 A...... 9.6 kW

All Tesla products (Model S, RAV4 EV and B-Class ED) will pull up to 20 amps maximum on 120 volts, and 40 amps maximum on 200-250 volts. Above 250 volts, the amperage drops to 36 amps at 277 volts max.

The exception to this is the newest firmware Model S now correctly allows 24 amps at 120 volts for TT-30 "30 amp" trailer park service.

Plugzin said:
Anyone know if Mercedes implemented the charge scheduling feature on the 2015 model year?
Absurd that this has not been provided on the 2014's.

2015 B-ED does not have charge scheduling feature. I am using JuiceBox Pro for charge scheduling but it requires Internet connectivity and the JuiceBox Internet service which seems to go down occasionally and causes charging to start immediately. It's annoying when that happens.

evnewbie said:
Plugzin said:
Anyone know if Mercedes implemented the charge scheduling feature on the 2015 model year?
Absurd that this has not been provided on the 2014's.

2015 B-ED does not have charge scheduling feature. I am using JuiceBox Pro for charge scheduling but it requires Internet connectivity and the JuiceBox Internet service which seems to go down occasionally and causes charging to start immediately. It's annoying when that happens.

Oh I had no idea that when the network goes down, the damn thing starts charging! That's really pretty sad.

My 2015 BED still has E+ (some say that new firmware disables that) and naturally no charge scheduling feature.

We just bought the Blink unit - when the wife gets home at 630-7p she punches the 4 hour delay times and at 32A she's fully charged by 1230a. . . .

Back