S vs E+ mode efficiency difference

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnewbie

I have been driving exclusively S or E+ mode with manual regen control and everything else same over the last few weeks to see the impact on efficiency (mpkwh) on my commute (about 50 miles round trip). I have only see at most 10% difference between S and E+ modes. It's smaller than I expected. Has anyone else seen bigger efficiency difference?

Based on my observation, I would rather drive in S mode except for when I need the extra range which is not often.

It depends how you drive. If you keep your foot in it in S mode you will definitely see worse range. If you drive conservatively in both the ranges will be very similar

Yes I agree I like to drive conservatively in E or S mode, knowing I have the power if I need it. E+ really limits your acceleration. I would agree you can do just as well in S mode and D- vs. E+ mode and D-. There are reasons to be in D+, sometimes too. But overall I like D-. In winter, I tend to go E+. Especially driving to work, and then E mode or S mode on the way home.

I've noticed the GOM snips something near 10 miles off the range prediction when you switch to Sport mode but in practice it doesn't really have that kind of impact. Once you are up to speed and gliding along it uses the same power to keep speed, and regen works normally in Sport mode so there is no lost efficiency there either.

Around town when I don't need any extra range, I drive S and D- and still manage 3mpKwh.

Yes the GOM goes down when you switch to S mode, but I think the regen in D- is even stronger in S. I just pay attention to the "from Start" mpkWh. In winter after at least 25 miles I hope for 2.2-2.5 in winter, and in summer 2.8-3.3. Of course that is wall to wheels so multiply by 1.2 and then the kW charge (28 or 31.5 for extended) to get total range.

In general, efficiency seems to be most dependent on the proportion of coasting on a trip Worst efficiency seems to occur on heavy stop-n-go trips so traffic condition has much greater impact than S vs E+ mode. So, my default driving setup now is S mode with D+ and try to maximize coasting with shift to D/D- when slowing down is necessary and minimize using the wheel brakes. This driving setup combined with new conventional tires with better traction and comfort than the original run-flat tires I find it a lot more fun to drive the car with great power when I want it while still getting good efficiency. It reminds me of driving a sporty manual transmission car.

BTW, I have tried D-auto in S and E+ modes and I find it pretty dumb and I don't use it anymore. The biggest issue that it does not seem to know when the car is going up or down slopes.

Well, when you use the brakes gently then it should be about the same as D-. And I agree, D-Auto seems quite brainless.

In my three years, 40k mile ownership of my Electric Focus not once did I see brake dust on my wheels. I drove it in its equivalent of D-, for the most time "one pedal driving". With the BEV I had visible brake dust on the first day... so clearly I'm not yet in tune with the car.

phototrek said:
In my three years, 40k mile ownership of my Electric Focus not once did I see brake dust on my wheels. I drove it in its equivalent of D-, for the most time "one pedal driving". With the BEV I had visible brake dust on the first day... so clearly I'm not yet in tune with the car.

I also had a Focus Electric and never had any brake dust on the wheels. With my B-Class I have noticed a small amount of brake dust as well. I am pretty good at maximizing the regen to stop the car, so I don't think it is the driving style in my case. My guess is the MB seems to leave the braking to the regular brakes for the last few MPH of stopping. Also German cars notoriously have heavy brake dust due to the material makeup in the brake pads.

Back