152 miles service engine light came on

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took mine into Mercedes; they have the software update, even in Atlanta, where the car is not yet sold. They did the update two weeks ago, and I haven't seen the error since. I was getting it everyday prior to the update.

I had this message come up few times, always right after I pulled out of garage. Turning car off/on would make this go away so I didn't worry too much and I assumed it was a software glitch.

Same as with Nissa Leaf that I had before, I purchased this car with an attitude of being an early adopter, expecting some issues and hopefully helping manufacturer to fix them. Trying to do my part to get more electric cars on the road.

Limus

Have any of you experience abrupt shifting or breaking?
I purchased a B Class for the wife on Nov 2nd and after driving it home got the same error message: "Service Required, do not change gears, visit the dealer" . like everyone else figured it was a software glitch or user error so turned off the car and then turned it back on and it went away... or did it?

This is a case of the little BClass called, "wolf!"

I'll get into the other issues in another post but for now lets just say I agree with many of the other comments that "the product is not ready to be on the market". The dealers is bending over backwards to learn what they can but they are a far cry away from holding a light to Tesla's representatives and the blame should be pointed to the manufacturer. How dare Mercedes to introduce a new product without properly training their representatives... its like they put the Model T for sale in a Horse and Buggy lot and expect a bunch of cowboys to be able to represent the new technology!

So here is the major problem that we've experienced... on any incline with the car in P rested on the motor brake, shifting the car into gear (with foot on the brake) it pops abrasively. More concerning, my wife came to a stop in a parking lot and the car lunged forward briefly! We reenacted the scenario on video and forwarded it to the dealer, had the car towed, and told them to keep it, destroy it; it's unsafe to be on the road!

The incident happened at a time that the "Service Required, do not change gears, visit the dealer" warning came on the dash. The dealers response; there's a film ware update that they need to download, so they did so and fixed the problem. -Really? this update issue posts back to May on these blogs, 4 months later they are delivering vehicles with outdated software? Can outdated software make the car unsafe!? Have any of you experience abrupt shifting or breaking?

Again the dealer is extremely courteous and understanding and presently putting together the option of exchanging the car or unwinding the deal. I blame Mercedes for failing to master this vehicle before putting it out on the road. We are just a bunch of test projects... I certainly hope that they don't try to resell this white BClass with white interior.

Bgrade:
When you experienced the "pop", was the car facing down hill and, to confirm, you did not have the parking brake engaged, just had the car in park?

@bgrade:
This is brand new technology. We're early adopters. Hiccups are expected.

As of today, I just passed the 4k mile mark. I have experienced the 'abrupt braking' you are mentioning a couple of times. Basically, what I've discovered is: sometimes, when the vehicle almost comes to a full stop (as in letting go of the brake just before being fully stopped), the abrupt braking happens and the vehicle will lunge forward a bit. Why I think this happens is because when you're braking, the inverter motor stops and regenerative braking takes over. Keep in mind that creep is activated when the vehicle gets to ~2-3mph, and in certain circumstances (I haven't been able to find a pattern, yet) when letting force off of the brake pedal right after creep is activated- the lunging affects happens. It is extremely rare and very hard to duplicate (I keep trying).
Perhaps a later software update will fix this. Software is vital for EV's- the entire vehicle is ran by computers.

In addition, the pop you experience when shifting out of Park is largely due to how the vehicle was put into Park. The best method in parking this EV (imo) is to: come to a full stop, push on the brake pedal further down until 'Hold' appears in the instrument cluster. At that time, take the key out of the ignition. The vehicle will apply the parking brake while shifting the vehicle into park, simultaneously. When shifting the vehicle back into Drive/Reverse, the parking brake is still applied (and therefore no abrupt shifting) and once you accelerate, either forwards or backwards, the parking brake will auto-disengage.

I started getting the "Service required...do not change gears...visit dealer" warning intermittently last week. Left car with dealer in Santa Monica and it took 'em 24 hours to figure out it was, indeed, a firmware issue and round up someone qualified to fix it. Shouldn't the whole service department be trained to deal with this sort of thing as cars get more and more dependent on computer technology? And for that matter, shouldn't they check for any upgrades and do them before they deliver the cars? All of our other electronic gizmos... computers, DVD players, fitness monitors, etc. etc, often require software and firmware updating.

There is an open campaign for a software fix for some 2014 B Class cars. It is to take care of the "Visit Workshop" or Do not shift gears" messages that appear on some cars.

Campaign No. 201510004.
Model 242 (B-Class), Model Year 2014
Update Powertrain Control Module Software.

limus said:
I had this message come up few times, always right after I pulled out of garage. Turning car off/on would make this go away so I didn't worry too much and I assumed it was a software glitch.

Same as with Nissa Leaf that I had before, I purchased this car with an attitude of being an early adopter, expecting some issues and hopefully helping manufacturer to fix them. Trying to do my part to get more electric cars on the road.

Limus

I have also had this message twice. Like you turning the car off and on cleared it. My car was made 10/14 so I do not know what firmware is in it. Unless it happens frequently I will just live with it for now.

I have had this message 20-30 times. I just press ok and it the message goes away. No need to restart.

I am not concerned with it and it is not worth a trip to the dealer for me. It is clear it is not effecting the function of the car and is just a false error.

Stretch2727 has it right, it is a meaningless error. I've had it about a dozen times in 6 months/6500 miles driven. Just press the OK button and keep driving!

JupiterRed said:
There is an open campaign for a software fix for some 2014 B Class cars. It is to take care of the "Visit Workshop" or Do not shift gears" messages that appear on some cars.

Campaign No. 201510004.
Model 242 (B-Class), Model Year 2014
Update Powertrain Control Module Software.
What's the status of these two bugs for the 2014 B? I read this entire thread, and some said there was a firmware fix, but some said no, or they had other issues after the firmware update. Some are ignoring the messages. Are 2015 owners seeing these two bugs as well? I wonder what % of owners saw these messages.

Back