Using B Class as a backup power source during a power outage

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joneng22

Hi,

Is there a way to use the B Class as a backup power source during a power outage? I was thinking along the lines of powering a refrigerator.

I came across this product:

http://www.goalzero.com/p/140/goal-zero-yeti-1250-solar-generator

It made me think, is there a way to use the B Class as a power source?

Thanks.

There is no mechanism to do that with any EV today I've heard of, let alone one like the B Class that lacks the DC charge port.

There is a video around somewhere where Nissan was showing a home power station (inverter) that could connect to the DC charge port on the Leaf and power a home for quite a while in theory. Not sure that is actually available to purchase, but either way the B lacks the connector.

You can use a commonly available 1000 to 1500 watt inverter connected to your 12 volt battery with the car ON (READY).

It will run a refrigerator and / or freezer just fine.

Do not pull more than about 1200 watts continuously, as the DC to DC converter is rated at 100 amps (100 * 13.8v = 1380 watts)

Interesting Tony, so the high voltage (propulsion) battery will just keep supplying / charging the 12V low voltage or accessory battery.

That would be a high powered inverter, and connected to the 12V battery under the hood with something like jumper cables sized wires.

Back