Free charger - PEV Pilot Program

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferdball

In a nutshell, you purchase a $600 charger, then you get it back when send your charging data to the utilities.

Customers can access PEV Time-Of-Use (TOU) electric rates by either installing separate electrical service and meter dedicated to PEV charging or enrolling their house or facility with a TOU rate. According to a recent survey of participants in the Clean Vehicle Rebate Program, while a majority of drivers (65-80%) know about special rates for PEV charging, only 62% use them. The State of California has set goals to ensure that customers charge their PEVs in a way that minimizes their impact on the grid and maximizes their fuel and cost savings.

http://www.cpuc.ca.gov/PUC/energy/altvehicles/Plug-In+Electric+Vehicle+Submetering.htm

One of the participants in the program is emotorwerks. There is still room to sign up if you're in the SDG&E service area. If you need, they will rent you a charger (for $10 per month) while you wait for your charger for the PEV Pilot program.

http://emotorwerks.com/latest-news-hidden/170-pev-pilot-faq

I was part of that project for my Focus Electric. Great deal, but it's only a 30A charger, so it may be suboptimal for B-class owners.

phototrek said:
I was part of that project for my Focus Electric. Great deal, but it's only a 30A charger, so it may be suboptimal for B-class owners.
Was? When did you get your charger?

Ferdball said:
I just got confirmation from George at EMW that the PEV pilot charger will be 40A.
Thank you for starting this thread, Ferdie. Yes, the PEV Pilot JuiceBox will be a 40-amp charging station. To be clear, the original pilot offer was a 32-amp station with an optional 50-amp upgrade. eMotorWerks later transitioned to a UL-listed 40-amp cable for all its products. Since not everyone has enough spare capacity to support a 40-amp EVSE, there will be a 30-amp station as well. It will be the same hardware, but current settings will be different and not changeable by the user.

Ferdball said:
phototrek said:
Was? When did you get your charger?

In June 2012 :) I had the first FFE in the Bay Area. I am still paying dearly for it every month.

Ferdball said:
I just got confirmation from George at EMW that the PEV pilot charger will be 40A.

And does it have a built-in timer? If not, then it is of not that much use, thanks to the braindead programming of the charging module of the B.

Not entirely. If you have the opportunity to add a relatively inexpensive timer, then the problem is solved.

http://www.mybclasselectricdrive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=263

But . . . this is only for people who do not have existing service - moreever - the TOU-EV program from SCE is now broken down into 2 levels - A and B - and this tariff only apples to dedicated chargers.

So if you are like most people . .. . and dont want to spend $2500-5000 to install a separate EV meter - its completely worthless.

Comanchepilot said:
But . . . this is only for people who do not have existing service - moreever - the TOU-EV program from SCE is now broken down into 2 levels - A and B - and this tariff only apples to dedicated chargers.

So if you are like most people . .. . and dont want to spend $2500-5000 to install a separate EV meter - its completely worthless.
Comanchepilot, this is very true. A separate submeter installed by the utility will be quite expensive. However, the entire point of this pilot is to figure out if submetering could be accomplished at a much lower cost by utilizing charging stations with integrated meters or standalone WiFi meters installed at a nominal cost by electrical contractors.

The latter is readily available to you or anyone interested. The UL listed WiFi-enabled submeter will cost you a whopping $49.99, which includes up to $100 toward its installation. Please see our WattBox FAQ for any additional topics not covered in this post.

JuiceBox, our charging station with integrated metering, has entered the final round of UL testing, which commenced at the end of June. This program should get underway in early August or as soon as JuiceBox has received the UL mark. Additional program details are covered in the JuiceBox FAQ.

fusiondynamics said:
I use roughly 300-400kw a month not including charging the car, so if I was on the tiered rate, I would see a substantial savings versus being on the EV-A rate plan from PGE. Too bad I dragged my feet with getting in on this program.

Those that are on the EV-B rate now with the wattbox. Is the billing separate showing your car charging? I'm wondering how PGE shows it on their billing.
It's not too late to get in, but you would have to act today.

Please fill out the sign-up form below and create an OhmConnect account. Then email Kris or Dorian asking if you could place a pilot WattBox order today. The email address is their first name @emotorwerks.com. We would need to these steps completed so that OhmConnect can generate an enrollment form. This form will need to be signed and deposited with your utility on Monday. This is the last day they will be accepting applications.

Sign-up form (will create a CRM record):
http://emotorwerks.com/free-wattbox

OhmConnect account (needed to generate the CEA):
http://login.ohmconnect.com/register/pev

For those who have signed up and are waiting to get enrolled with their utility: please make sure that you have signed and returned the enrollment agreement. OhmConnect has re-sent this PDF form to everyone a few days ago. The subject of that email should read "Please Review PEV Agreement".

This form must be executed and deposited with the utility by Monday. Thank you for your cooperation!

Here in CA, the utilities are required to give you a 2nd meter "at reasonable cost". After 6 months of fierce fighting, I got PG&E to install a 2nd meter - for $150. However, the number of phone calls and letters that it took was so high that it was ridiculous. I basically eroded their desire to prevent me from having the 2nd meter.

Is this offer over? The only way I can get the"apply" button to appear is to click the box that I already have a charging station.

Back