EPA range, + comparison of bclass and 30 kWh Leaf

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlsoaz

Hi -

Does anyone know if or when the EPA will issue range data for the B-Class Electric when charged to the full 31.5 kWh usable, 90% SOC area that Tony Williams has talked about? At the EPA site I see only a range estimate of 87 miles and this note in the spreadsheet for the 2015 model:
"...[Tested in the default mode only (the "E-mode")]..."
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/download.shtml

If I look at the spreadsheet for 2016 models, it doesn't say anything about a B-Class electric per se, but does talk about a B250e where it has the same exact note, and the same exact 87 mile range estimate.

So, is the 2016 B250e essentially the B-Class Electric? More importantly, if the range package became standard for 2015, then why doesn't the EPA issue a range estimate that incorporates the longer usable range? I had allowed myself to hope that this would get done, even if Mercedes isn't 100% behind trying to make good sales numbers with this car.

If or when an EPA range number does ever get issued, I'm curious to see if it will be higher than the 30 kWh Leaf EPA range estimate of 107 miles. Even though that Leaf will have a lower number of usable kWh, perhaps it will technically have a bit better efficiency and so have a bit better range.

Note, I did try to research this before joining and asking, but wasn't quite able to find the answer on the EPA range question, so I decided to ask directly.

Yes the 2016 B250e appears to be the same car as all the ratings are same and there is no known new MB electric short term.

The range on the MB electric is very under rated. Both the EPA ratings and what you will see from the GOM (Guess o Meter) in the car.

In mild weather you can expect 100 miles of range without the range extender and about 110 using the range extender. Of course results will vary depending on how you drive and the route you take. I have found the MB is pretty consistent with 1 mile using about 1% of charge whether I am on the highway or in stop and go.

If you drive in E+ mode, you get a range of 105 miles in summer (temperature +70°F) and about 90 miles in winter (temperature -26°F). That's the range based on my own experience in Minnesota (first 10,000 miles) in the 2014 MBED with range extender option.

Thanks for these prompt helpful answers.

I was a bit surprised they didn't come with mph (i.e.: range @ x mph) but Stretch2727 did say they seem to get roughly the same on highway as in stop/go. I am a bit skeptical about this (my 2012 Leaf definitely is very different from this), but Stretch2727 does seem experienced and perhaps things are different with the Mercedes.

I didn't see anything about when the EPA might issue a proper number. I guess right now it's not a topic of much discussion. I guess the reason this doesn't surprise me that much is that for now this seems to be a compliance car. Even though at least one of the Mercedes folks' statements in at least one of the articles pointed to their striving for the 100 mile number, they don't seem to be super-focused on pressing this with the EPA (or else why not make a stink out of it for 2016?). When the Leaf had that sort of purgatory they were in with the 80%/100% numbers, I think they took expeditious measures to try to address it so that the EPA could apply a higher number within their rules. Wasn't this one thing that helped increase the EPA numbers on the Leaf or was it not related to the 80%/100% issue and just the many other improvements? I can't quite gauge what the 2016 or 2015 Mercedes is like once they changed the range extender "option" to standard. Do you still have to hit some sort of button if you want to charge the vehicle to the 31.5 kWh level? Does this approach in effect discourage filling up to the higher kWh mark more than once in awhile? Maybe that would explain, or partly explain, why the EPA has not moved to provide a range estimate for the higher number?

It sounds like, in effect, the EPA range of the 2016 B250e would be almost identical to the EPA range of the 2016 30 kWh variants of the Leaf, but I fear we will not get a straight answer on this soon (if ever), from the EPA.

Regarding guess-o-meters - I'd like all of these companies to provide a statement on estimated # of kWh left. However, if the company also is going to provide an estimate on # of miles left, isn't it always and inherently going to be a guess, based on conditions and driver decisions? I know folks who really resent their Leaf GOMs, but I've always found mine generally useful. The one issue for me I guess is that when I stop, turn off, and then restart, it seems to restart with a lower guess, which makes it harder to be clear as to budgeting to reach the next charge.

The EPA does not supply results for any of the parameters (range, consumption or eMPG). This is left to the manufacture to test based on the EPA protocols. The results are supplied by the manufactures to the EPA. MB obviously has chosen to be very conservative with the ratings. The EPA will spot check the manufactures to be sure they are not cheating. As you are probably aware a few manufactures had to adjusted their MPG's (on ICE cars) lower when owners and the EPA could not achieve the results the manufacturer claimed. (Ford was one...I think the other was Kia.)

Not sure on the EPA rules for the range extender but it is 10% more usable capacity. MB has not included this in the EPA range. I know Tesla has a similar concept with range extending and they DO include this in their quoted range. Again, I think MB is very conservative or they may not want to re-run the tests since they EPA certified the car in 2014. MB can take this route (using prior testing for later model years) if there have been no changes which would impact the results.

The MB is my 3rd electric car and I have to say the MB GOM is the worst of all of them. Basically the GOM on the MB is completely useless. I had a Focus Electric and now have an eGolf and they both do a good job based on your current driving situation.

On the plus side, the MB does have a good % battery meter and this is very useful to calculate range. Most on this forum will agree this is the best way to calculate range.

Absolutely agree with Stretch. A little old school but with percentage remaining and knowledge of what you get on highway vs. local, you can predict better range in your head than the GOM. Particularly useful as you get near the end of the "tank".

I can only get 70-75 miles on a full charge with my 2013 Leaf, I think about 95 miles on my B at 100%. I made a post about the range test i did. Even with the 30kwh battery, I doubt you can squeeze 100 miles without trying. It's like hitting 51mpg on a 3rd gen Prius

From the best range to the worst range experienced on the B- Class ED (11k miles driven, NYC winters)
OVERALL : 76 miles to 114 miles range.

76 miles range, worst scenario, bitter cold, snow, wipers, some heat, headlights -- standard charge*
84 miles range, worst scenario, bitter cold, snow, wipers, some heat, headlights -- extended charge* (I used this most of the time in the winter, I have a 60 mile round trip commute.
*Pre-conditioning cabin/battery recommended, or you lose another 5% (approx 5-7 miles)

Summer (Anything over 45-55 degrees) AC ON (cabin cooling has no effect on range)

90-100 miles typical, mild weather, standard charge
105-115 miles typical , mild weather, extended charge

The Mercedes GOM is inaccurate by 10-20 miles, typically. (Always underestimating your remaining range) One a fairly short range car, the inaccuracy of the GOM makes it very annoying, especially when passengers comment on how little "range" you have left!

I don't know what the weight of the 30kW Nissan Leaf will be, but that's only 26 kW useable. (Mercedes B-Class has a 36 kW battery, up to 31.5 kW useable). In summer, I bet the Leaf will go pretty far, maybe better than 115 miles. But in winter, does the Leaf have the sophisticated battery insulation and conditioning of the Mercedes? No. It also has more battery degradation issues. I wouldn't think the 30 kW Nissan will have a significantly better real-world range than the B-Class.

Hi and thanks for the points:

Can you say roughly at what speed? I know in my 2012 Leaf I probably started out with something roughly akin to the EPA rating (seventy something miles) but this was generally if I stuck to something like 45 mph, no heat, relatively level ground, and traveling about 65 miles plus assuming another 10 or 20 miles but not risking it. It was heavily dependent on speed. I could probably have done more than 100 miles if I had traveled at 25 mph (I don't have that kind of time, but some really fanatical Leaf hypermilers did so). If I got on the highway at 65 mph on level ground, there was no way.... maybe (wild guess) 45-50 miles @ 65, maybe 35-45 miles at 70, and I have always left some buffer (a couple of bars), so I guess can't really claim to be a good authority on this stuff. It's been awhile since I was able to get maximum numbers (I'm down to 10 bars and turning in my Leaf soon after 3+ years).

For the last year or so, Nissan has improved the battery formulation so that degradation is reportedly not as much of an issue witih the newer batteries (even with the comparatively primitive thermal management).

Anyway, I'm getting a bit talky/argumentative when I shouldn't be... in temperate conditions basically I think it would be close and would come down to about 26 usable (or perhaps a bit more?.... I don't know what the 30 kWh Leaf has as usable) kWh in a slightly more efficient vehicle as versus about 31.5 usable kWh in a slightly less efficient vehicle.

wtzouris said:
From the best range to the worst range experienced on the B- Class ED (11k miles driven, NYC winters)
OVERALL : 76 miles to 114 miles range.

76 miles range, worst scenario, bitter cold, snow, wipers, some heat, headlights -- standard charge*
84 miles range, worst scenario, bitter cold, snow, wipers, some heat, headlights -- extended charge* (I used this most of the time in the winter, I have a 60 mile round trip commute.
*Pre-conditioning cabin/battery recommended, or you lose another 5% (approx 5-7 miles)

Summer (Anything over 45-55 degrees) AC ON (cabin cooling has no effect on range)

90-100 miles typical, mild weather, standard charge
105-115 miles typical , mild weather, extended charge

The Mercedes GOM is inaccurate by 10-20 miles, typically. (Always underestimating your remaining range) One a fairly short range car, the inaccuracy of the GOM makes it very annoying, especially when passengers comment on how little "range" you have left!

I don't know what the weight of the 30kW Nissan Leaf will be, but that's only 26 kW useable. (Mercedes B-Class has a 36 kW battery, up to 31.5 kW useable). In summer, I bet the Leaf will go pretty far, maybe better than 115 miles. But in winter, does the Leaf have the sophisticated battery insulation and conditioning of the Mercedes? No. It also has more battery degradation issues. I wouldn't think the 30 kW Nissan will have a significantly better real-world range than the B-Class.

Thanks for the points Stretch2727.

With respect to the EPA numbers, I think you make some good points, but I think a part of the point of my starting this thread is to ask "is that what's really going on here?" I don't know the answer, but to make a couple of points:

- In the first year or two of the Leaf, it limped by with an EPA rating of 73 miles range and then 75 for the 2013 Leaf and then 84 for the 2014 Leaf. While there were many outright improvements to efficiency, I think (if memory serves) part of the issue was that originally the Leaf would tend to encourage you to charge only to 80% and then 100% if you really knew you would use it soon (I have followed this on my 2012 Leaf and seldom charge to 100%).

2011:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=30979
2012:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=32154
2013:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=33558
2014:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=34699

My recollection is that Nissan was unhappy that the rating had to be low in part due to the 80% issue and worked to address this. I don't know for certain if part of the increase in reported range was attributable to the fact that Nissan for later years made it less discouraged to charge to 100% (if I understand correctly how the car has changed since I got mine).

Anyway, Daimler's car is not the same as the Leaf and it's possible they have good reasons for sticking with the more conservative rating. I guess I still think other explanations are still possible (up to this point, in terms of vehicle availability, they appear to still be treating it as a compliance car, so I don't know how motivated they are to put their best foot forward and strive for an official rating over 100 miles).

Regarding comparing some of the usable kWh as well as noting the EPA ratings, Tony Williams provided this helpful information on the Leaf board:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19994

With the Mercedes, the EPA numbers have always had this comment on the spreadsheet:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/epadata/15data.zip

"...[Tested in the default mode only (the "E-mode")]..."

So, questions:

- Can someone clarify what "E-mode" means?....that it was charged to less than 31.5 kWh, or something else such as less aggressive driving style?
- If I am charging this vehicle and do not push some button to charge to the maximum, then does it stop short of charging to 31.5 kWh? If so, then at what number?

Stretch2727 said:
The EPA does not supply results for any of the parameters (range, consumption or eMPG). This is left to the manufacture to test based on the EPA protocols. The results are supplied by the manufactures to the EPA. MB obviously has chosen to be very conservative with the ratings. The EPA will spot check the manufactures to be sure they are not cheating. As you are probably aware a few manufactures had to adjusted their MPG's (on ICE cars) lower when owners and the EPA could not achieve the results the manufacturer claimed. (Ford was one...I think the other was Kia.)

Not sure on the EPA rules for the range extender but it is 10% more usable capacity. MB has not included this in the EPA range. I know Tesla has a similar concept with range extending and they DO include this in their quoted range. Again, I think MB is very conservative or they may not want to re-run the tests since they EPA certified the car in 2014. MB can take this route (using prior testing for later model years) if there have been no changes which would impact the results.

The MB is my 3rd electric car and I have to say the MB GOM is the worst of all of them. Basically the GOM on the MB is completely useless. I had a Focus Electric and now have an eGolf and they both do a good job based on your current driving situation.

On the plus side, the MB does have a good % battery meter and this is very useful to calculate range. Most on this forum will agree this is the best way to calculate range.

Maybe a useful point in looking at this is here:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/PowerSearch.do?action=Cars&path=1&year1=1984&year2=2016&vtype=Electric&pageno=1&sortBy=Hwy&tabView=0&rowLimit=200

2016 Mercedes-Benz B250e Automatic (A1), Electricity
kwh/100 miles: 40 (combined city/highway)

2016 Nissan Leaf (30 kW-hr battery pack)
kwh/100 miles: 30 (combined city/highway)

[edited a few minutes later....
then again, maybe this has limited value. Clearly if the 107 range estimate by the EPA for the 30 kWh Leaf is to be believed, then the Leaf is expending less than 30 kWh per 100 miles, especially since its usable kWh is only around (I guess) 26 or 27. Well, I guess this is part of what comes across in Tony Williams's numbers, that it can be challenging to make useful points out of the EPA numbers and there is some inconsistency from car to car in how these numbers align with his testing.

I'm not sure I'm understanding what you are comparing. EPA Range? Real world range? As an end user I care about real world range. Winter and summer. That is quite a spread on EV cars over a 110 degree Fahrenheit range. (NYC coldest -10F to about 100F) So I get anywhere from 65-100 miles regular charge (28 kW useable energy) or 72-115 miles range charge (31.5 kW useable energy).

The EPA only considers the 28 kW useable figure for B-Class because Mercedes is saying if the range charge were used every day the battery would not meet the warranty of 8 years 100k miles at 70% useable. So what is the point since that is not a "normal" charge.. 3-year lessees can do whatever they want in terms of # of range charges, there is no "meter" tolling how many times you hit the button. Batteries do no get better with age, enjoy them while they are fresh and new! I use range charging 3-4 times a month.

wtzouris said:
I'm not sure I'm understanding what you are comparing. EPA Range? Real world range? As an end user I care about real world range. Winter and summer. That is quite a spread on EV cars over a 110 degree Fahrenheit range. (NYC coldest -10F to about 100F) So I get anywhere from 65-100 miles regular charge (28 kW useable energy) or 72-115 miles range charge (31.5 kW useable energy).

The EPA only considers the 28 kW useable figure for B-Class because Mercedes is saying if the range charge were used every day the battery would not meet the warranty of 8 years 100k miles at 70% useable. So what is the point since that is not a "normal" charge.. 3-year lessees can do whatever they want in terms of # of range charges, there is no "meter" tolling how many times you hit the button. Batteries do no get better with age, enjoy them while they are fresh and new! I use range charging 3-4 times a month.

Thanks, I am interested in comparing real-world range, though I am not sure the EPA numbers need to be dismissed outright in trying to get a sense of this (I've always found the EPA Leaf numbers to be more or less in-line with what I get). As basic as it may be, assuming the number you cite is correct, I think it is super-helpful to have an explicit statement that the EPA number is based on 28 kWh rather than on 31.5 kWh.

In terms of the experience you relate of choosing whether to charge the full amount, this definitely has an analogy to the 2012 Leaf 80%/100% choice.

Regarding temperatures, my own driving experience I guess would be something like outside temps at about 25 degrees F to about 110 (near Tucson, but kind of far out there, not near any public stations). So, other than learning to avoid the resistance heater in my 2012 Leaf (later replaced by a much more energy efficient heat pump in later models) I haven't had much experience trying to get a sense of performance in colder weather. I guess I'm really much more focused on how my driving range changes with road and speed and elevation, since those are the things around here which have had the most impact on whether I make it home or not. Basically, for short trips where there are no issues, I am ok to take the 75 mph speed limit highway for 25 mile round-trips. Otherwise, if I need to drive the car as far as possible to make it to a public station (in one stretch, about 42 miles to a blink L2, and coming back that is uphill, though recently an additional station was added mid-way), I stick to the frontage road (about 45-50 mph).

So from your 2012 Leaf you are thinking about a 2014-2015 Mercedes B-Class ED? It would be a good choice, it has amazing air conditioning (cooling) -- very efficient. (I use it all the time with absolutely little or no impact on range)

Is Nissan serious about thermally regulating their batteries?
Why not a BMW i3 BEV? That would do great in hot weather. a couple of more choices soon: Chevy Bolt, re-freshed 2017 Model Year BMW i3 (improved battery), Talking about Tesla Model 3 or 2019 BMW i3 (redesign) or 2017 Mercedes B-Class ED (redesign) is just speculation.

wtzouris said:
So from your 2012 Leaf you are thinking about a 2014-2015 Mercedes B-Class ED? It would be a good choice, it has amazing air conditioning (cooling) -- very efficient. (I use it all the time with absolutely little or no impact on range)

Is Nissan serious about thermally regulating their batteries?
Why not a BMW i3 BEV? That would do great in hot weather. a couple of more choices soon: Chevy Bolt, re-freshed 2017 Model Year BMW i3 (improved battery), Talking about Tesla Model 3 or 2019 BMW i3 (redesign) or 2017 Mercedes B-Class ED (redesign) is just speculation.

I think the simple answer to your question is yes, a used B-Class ED is one of quite a few options I am considering, once I give the leased Leaf back within the next 2-3 months.

The more complicated answer:

- Noting that I retain a cheap (~$2k) used gasoline vehicle for longer faster trips, so in the long-term an EV is mandatory (because I am committed to plugging in), but in the short term, doing absolutely nothing to replace the Leaf is definitely an option.
- As you note, there are a lot of options. I feel like someone who has had a very long cell phone contract that has been ok in many respects, but which has been very much in need of improvement in other respects. When it is up, I am trying to resist talking myself into a solution that will be more displeasing to me than necessary. It will have to be somewhat displeasing to me because I think the vehicles I'd really like to own are not yet in the marketplace (such as a plug-in pickup truck, ideally with a roomy back seat, as just one example), and when they do get there, it will be another 5-10 years before they come into my price range on the used market.

Also, mostly for the moment I seem to be focused on what to me are more economical options. Each of us has different considerations when it comes to finances, geographic situation, transportation, etc. To me an economical solution means used vehicles below $10k that do not require me to own (and pay for keeping up) a second vehicle for longer quicker trips. I'd also like something with a back seat that is sufficiently large that it is respectful of the comfort of the whole family.

So - a used BEV under 30-40 kWh is out because in my geography (and with the lack of DCQC along my routes) it means I need a second vehicle. A used Volt is an option, but the interior volume is limited and the back seat (IIRC) is an insult so it's possible I won't do it. Because it has more rear-seat room and is coming down to the $10k level in used vehicles, a used C-Max Energi is becoming a (until my next used EV) possibility despite the poor all-electric range.

Used BEVS in the 27-36 kWh range are (based on my geography) borderline in terms of forcing me to retain a gasoline vehicle. For example, I have one key regular drive where, after I leave the final available DCQC (which is itself not always reliable), there is a 60 mile uphill (about 1000 feet, net) highway drive to get home, with only a couple of painfully slow L2s along the way. In my gasoline car, this drive takes about 55-65 minutes. In a 24 kWh Leaf, it takes about 3-5 hours, factoring in some quality time at a 24 hour McDonald's while the local slow Blink L2 and slow Leaf 3.3 kW have a nice heart-to-heart.

So, this example from my area hopefully helps illustrate a little why I am trying to be careful as to knowing a bit more about what I might be getting into with a B-Class Mercedes. Could it make that drive I just described without range concern? (Yes, I think on frontage road (about 1.5 hours) @45 mph. Perhaps not, on the highway at 65 mph. The prices on the used Mercedes (and for that matter on the used BMWs) will be too much for me, but I am trying to avoid backing myself into a corner with inflexibility. I hate paying the brunt of the depreciation on a car, but it's a complicated decision as I have been waiting a long time to drive electric. Thanks for the information about the A/C, that is something I will try to keep in mind.

A somewhat separate but important part of the reason I am asking and discussing is that I am industry-involved. I've been discussing EVS in forums for about 20 years and EVs became part of what I do. I got a Leaf a few years ago (even though it got me into paying the depreciation on a new car, which I don't like doing) in part because it seemed in-line with making sure I understood some of the issues first-hand and better, if I could afford it. I mention this separate reason not to dwell on it, but by way of briefly disclaiming. During those years, I have found that when I need information that part of the solution is to ask the drivers and some of them can help with solid information. I then just need to be careful to make sure I understand what I'm reading and trust my own views if something looks like it needs further investigation or revising of the question.

On the comparison question with which I started the thread, I think we'll eventually get an empirical comparison from Tony Williams and others (eg: under the same real-world conditions, which vehicle will go further) and that will settle the question. At this point it amounts in part to a bit of fun speculation. I haven't formed a firm view. Assuming temperate weather conditions, level ground, etc., to me it appears that the Leaf has an edge in efficiency (though I could be wrong about this), but the Mercedes has a clear edge (about 4.5 or 5.5 kWh?) in usable battery when charged to its fullest level. Is the Mercedes that much less efficient under temperate steady conditions? It sounds like it is rated at 87 EPA miles using 28 kWh whereas the 2015 Leaf is rated at 84 EPA miles using just 22.x kWh.

I can't speak as much to the comparison in ranges when conditions change to below-freezing.

On the question of Leaf thermal regulation, I don't know whether Nissan has plans to change this. Note that the drivers seem to like the Lizard formulation so even though (AFAIK) so far Nissan does not seem to have equipped a car with more aggressive thermal regulation, it's possible that the newer formulation avoids much or all of the concerns in this area. This also goes back though to the fact that many of my conversations are with drivers in this hot weather area. I don't know about the cold weather, and in the long run even in the hot weather, and even with the drivers so pleased, it remains to be seen in the long run how the batteries will hold up.

Ah ok, so the Mercedes has definitely more range than what you are describing as your needs. 60 miles? never a problem . Slow charging? The Mercedes has a 10 kW onboard charger, so when you go to a public L2 you get the maximum rate that EVSE can do -- 6.6-7.2 kW.

The Mercedes reports low mpkWh ratings (1.2 to 1.6) , especially in the first 25 miles of driving, but all that matters is the rating at the end of your drive. In cold weather I have been getting 2.5 mpkWh, which is really 3.0 mpkWh/ (multiply the dash display by 1.2 to correct/compensate for the charger losses. ) Why does Mercedes display it different from everybody else? (Wall to Wheels)

68 - 74 miles of range is the worst worst worst I ever got last winter, driving in cold snowy conditions. Range in the rain is almost as bad (more friction). I am typically pleasantly surprised to have 30% or more SOC left after driving 60-65 miles. (Range Charge) or 20% left (regular charge) My day in day out commute is 60 miles.

Cost: I've heard of B-Class EDs going for close to $250 a month, leased. Maybe a lease swap or something would be worth your while. The 2014s with range package are just as reliable (maybe better?) than the 2015s. There have been some reported (loss of power) issues, but they will be taken care of. Same issues that plagued the RAV4 EV. The 2016 model has been released, it is the same, now called Mercedes B250e. Oh there is a horrible Kryptonite Green and Brown color now. Get a deal on a leftover 2015 or a used 2014. Mine is a late 2014 "good one" with no issues in 12,000 miles driven.

wtzouris said:
Ah ok, so the Mercedes has definitely more range than what you are describing as your needs. 60 miles? never a problem . Slow charging? The Mercedes has a 10 kW onboard charger, so when you go to a public L2 you get the maximum rate that EVSE can do -- 6.6-7.2 kW.

The Mercedes reports low mpkWh ratings (1.2 to 1.6) , especially in the first 25 miles of driving, but all that matters is the rating at the end of your drive. In cold weather I have been getting 2.5 mpkWh, which is really 3.0 mpkWh/ (multiply the dash display by 1.2 to correct/compensate for the charger losses. ) Why does Mercedes display it different from everybody else? (Wall to Wheels)

68 - 74 miles of range is the worst worst worst I ever got last winter, driving in cold snowy conditions. Range in the rain is almost as bad (more friction). I am typically pleasantly surprised to have 30% or more SOC left after driving 60-65 miles. (Range Charge) or 20% left (regular charge) My day in day out commute is 60 miles.

Cost: I've heard of B-Class EDs going for close to $250 a month, leased. Maybe a lease swap or something would be worth your while. The 2014s with range package are just as reliable (maybe better?) than the 2015s. There have been some reported (loss of power) issues, but they will be taken care of. Same issues that plagued the RAV4 EV. The 2016 model has been released, it is the same, now called Mercedes B250e. Oh there is a horrible Kryptonite Green and Brown color now. Get a deal on a leftover 2015 or a used 2014. Mine is a late 2014 "good one" with no issues in 12,000 miles driven.

Thanks. [edit:]
I had a question here then "if you go 65 mph on level ground in temperate (let's say 70 F, no rain) conditions with a small amount of air conditioning or fan for fresh air without cracking the window, approximately what range what you expect to get?..."

However, Tony Williams appears to answer at 62 mph you'd get about 113 miles if you exhaust all energy.

http://www.mybclasselectricdrive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=148&start=20

So, then even if some of the drive is about 1000 feet uphill, net, and even if I am unwilling to drive until it is close to exhausting the energy, and even if I drive a bit faster (for safety, I won't drive 62 mph for extended distances on a 75 mph limit road), it sounds like I could use the highway much of the trip.

If you go 65 mph on level ground in temperate (let's say 70 F, no rain) conditions with a small amount of air conditioning or fan for fresh air without cracking the window, approximately what range what you expect to get?

First of all, use as much AC/fan as you want, as long as the thermostat is set to 70 or less (So you are not heating the cabin)

At 65mph constant, I would guarantee:
90 miles range, typical on standard charge - charges to 100%
105 miles range on range charge - charges to 112% but the meter doesn't show that, it shows 100% for 8-10 miles.

Standard Charge 100% is really 80% charged, sort-of)
Range Charge is really 92.5% charged.
There are kW you can't use at the bottom and top end of the total kW size of the battery.
Batteries go bad if they are over charged or discharged too far. The manufacturer primarily cares about the 8 year 100k mile warranty of the battery.
They are guaranteeing 70% performance at that point, which is conservative. This battery pack will not be that worn out by then. They have designed the car so It is hard to damage the battery with regular use.

The total battery size is 36 kW
28 kW are useable on standard charge
31.5 kW are useable on range charge.

My 2 cents: MB has exceptional handling, acceleration and maximum speed. Highways here has limits 70 mph, everybody driving 80-85 so you should have power to quickly accelerate to up to 95 to pass someone. And MB is not losing its power with the speed. And is not limited at 90. I’ve tested a few Leafs and it was hard to get any acceleration above 80. With B-Class it is a real fun which ends at 100 ;)

Also, overall quality of materials, interior look and feel, sound system, climate control - there is no comparison with Leaf. And IMHO Mercedes exterior is much better. However it is a personal preference.

But I bought a car primarily to have fun when driving and enjoy other things that this vehicle is providing :cool:

Leo,

Glad to meet another happy camper. Forums of course are here to help those with issues but good to hear positives too. :p

Back