10,000 Mile Service

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes you can reset Service A yourself in the dashboard computer with steering wheel buttons and yes the battery certification is free. Zero dollars. Free. You may have to call MBUSA CAC customer assistance center. Mention name William Tzouris and ask them to look up the notes. They may need to call the dealership on your behalf. (By free it means Mercedes corporate must pay the dealerships for their time and parts costs). So they need to know how to document it on the bill. My bill was zero dollars and I paid $10 cash for NY State inspection renewal

‪Mercedes Service Indicator Reset

‬ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bLjAhIamyc

Turn key on to READY, then back to position 1

Go to odometer screen, reset trip odometer

Make sure you press and hold the answer call button first -- and within 1 second, hold the OK button.

Secret Menu Assyst Plus Click OK
Full Service Click OK
Confirm Service Click OK
CONFIRM

I just dropped my car off at MB Stevens Creek for the 10,000 miles service.

I can confirm replacing the desiccant filter and the battery check is free.

All software updates are free of course.

However, the so called "level A" service is $150 for them to check the rest of the car. I asked if that includes tire rotations he said no. But it does include the car wash and shuttle service.

I asked if it's required that I pay for the level A service and he showed me a chart and said something about keeping my car in warranty I should. Sitting there in the very fancy building with all the expensive new cars on the showroom floor I felt guilty & embarrassed not paying them anything. He said there are three software updates to do. I didn't want to argue so I told him fine go ahead.

I think these service advisers don't know what to do with us electric car drivers. For gasoline cars everyone just do the recommended services and pay.

He said next year will be more expensive because they need to change the break fluid. I wonder if this is true to keep the Bs in warranty? I rather not change the break fluid for three years and just give the car back to them when my lease ends.

Oh well, I guess I will contribute to the fancy building they are housed in this time.

Except for stalling one time last July 2015, we love this electric car. We have two, one MY 2014, one MY 2015, both leased July 2015.

Let's hope we have more EV leasing choices when my lease ends summer of 2018.

I never wash my car so I look forward to a clean car later today. But most of all I hope the software updates does not create any new problems.

Update 4/14/2016:

a) It's been 2 weeks, thank God the software updates didn't create any issues.

b) I just reserved two Tesla Model 3s that was just unveiled. It's an amazing offering at $35,000 with:

The base model offers:

* 215-mile range
* Use of superchargers (for free or for a fee, we are not sure yet)
* Includes all autopilot hardware for future software upgrades that one may want to buy
* Minus government incentives it's $25,000 (Fed $7500 and CA $2500)

I still plan to lease and not buy if the numbers make sense in 2018

It's only been two weeks since the announcement and Tesla already got over 300,000 reservations ($1000 each, but fully refundable)

It's perfect timing when my two B's leases end summer of 2018.

Wow, what a bargain at $25,000! Always lease an electric car, never buy.

Model 3 will be a great Uber car because it's so cheap to operate. I wonder if Tesla will let Uber drivers use their superchargers for free.

I had similar a experience at The House of Imports in Buena Park. Questioned what was included in the 10k service for $200. Was told the same as tom, if we paid for the 10k, they would change the desicant under warranty. No tire rotation for that amount. Seems like a scam but not sure what else could have been done except to decline all. They did two service updates, one for radio and another for the battery. Picked it up clean but they could have topped off the charge to make me feel like I got something...

I live in LA and my local dealership says it's $300...do they just make these numbers up? I asked them if there was anything optional and they said no.

Guys, the battery annual certification is no charge. See below my strategy for dealing with the MB dealer.

-Made the appointment 2 weeks in advance. Requested only recalls and annual battery certification. The rest of the "maintenance" is just simple checks.
-emailed the customer service with expectations of no charge for for the above.
-no response an threatened to cancel the appointment unless the parts were there and agreement this is a no charge service.
-She emailed parts are there but it is a maintenance and would cost $389.
-emailed invoice I got from WTOURIS on this thread showing this is covered under warranty.
-after 10 days got agreement this is no charge service!!

I will have my no charge invoice it anyone needs it.

Do not go to the MB dealer unless you have agreement this is no charge upfront.

See e-mail exchange below. I removed some e-mail address and full name to protect the innocent.

Mr.XXXXX. After a long extensive reasearch and getting my dispatcher and warranty administrator involved we have confirmed that the part is covered under warranty.I will see you friday. Thank you so much.
Mariana

Mariana,
My understanding is the annual battery certification with the air
dryer change is covered under warranty.
See the attached receipt for a friend with the same type of car where
it was covered under warranty.
My expectation is the services I am requesting will be no charge to
me.
Please confirm.
Thank you.
XXXXXX

Good Morning Mr. XXXXX

I have everything all set for you to come in on Friday. We do have
the parts we need to perform the service on your B Class, The air
dryer will not be something covered under warranty its considered a
maintenance item. The price on the Service is $389.00 incl parts and
labor. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Thank
you

Mariana

Respond or I would like to cancel for my friday appointment.
Thanks,
XXXXX

Mariana,

I would prefer that the work be completed in one day which is
possible if the parts are available.
-Can you confirm the desiccant "Air dryer" are in stock part number
is 242-340-08-01.
-There is also a special tool to access the high voltage battery
area. Do the technicians have this tool available?
-Confirm that the Annual Battery Certification that includes the air
dryers above will be completed at no charge under warranty.
Your help with some pre-planning to make this a smooth and quick
experience for me would be appreciated.
This is a unique car and I understand it something the service
department is not dealing with everyday.

Thanks,
XXXXXX

Thanks for all the helpful information. It is ridiculous to pay $200+ for service on this car that is basically "inspect" and "check". My favorite item was to check the if the "horn" works. Lol, like if that broke, it wouldn't be covered under warranty?

There is a single piece of paper titled "Battery Limited Warranty" that came inside the booklet next to the owner's manual that states (bottom left portion of title page):

The annual certification service for your lithium-ion battery must be performed by an authorized Mercedes-Benz Center; and it will be completed at NO COST to the vehicle owner.

Mention that and show that as proof and you should be golden.

It does state that the battery needs to be checked yearly (no more than 2 months after every yearly interval) for the battery warranty to remain active. So even if you do the service A yourself and reset that service flag, you should still take it in for the free and REQUIRED battery check. Hope this helps.

Can anyone please share anything I can show my dealer? They are insisting on $300?

Also, will they check breaks and those kind of things-- or is that why they are charging the $300?

Thanks

In NYC, yes, that is the going rate at the dealer for annual maintenance which for our car is silly to pay for brakes, fluids, battery, etc. Look at your posted rate for labor per hour and figure it will take them more than an hour. The last I remember, it was $135 per hour in NYC MB-owned dealer.

I just got a 10000 mile service on my 2014 B Class. Keyes in Van Nuys California charged me $85 and gave me a free rental car for the day and washed my car. They did a recall and other service updates. I was surprised at the low cost. But I did let them replace my wipers for a rediculous charge, but I figured they needed to make money.

I was surprised next morning when after a full charge the GOM show 96 mile range. The next day things returned more to normal. I think the update changed the GOM calibration.

I've made an appointment for my 2015's annual battery certification. (And, I've made sure that the dealer has both the part *and* the tool to install it. Thanks to all who suggested that I do this. You saved me a trip or two, especially given that I am in an area where the car is not for sale.)

My questions concern the rest of Service A. I own the car, so I have some options to do the work myself or to neglect it altogether (!). I am not in the mood to give my dealer $500 to change the wiper blades, especially given that the service department can't be bothered to return my phone calls. (Thanks to those of you who pointed out that the battery certification is MB USA's responsibility.)

Looking over pp. 9 & 10 of the Maintenance Booklet, I count 22 items, the majority of which are trivial, e.g., "Check horn for correct function," "Check cargo compartment lighting for correct function," etc.

A few are useful, though clearly within the capacity of the owner, e.g., "Check charging cable and vehicle socket for mechanical damage" (not sure how they're going to check the 240v cable at my house...), "Brake system: check fluid level," and "Correct tire inflation pressure." And, I've done these, including resetting the annoying service reminder. (See posts above. Thank you!)

My questions involve the following, all of which would appear to be within my capacity to complete:

1. "Cooling system: Check coolant level (high-voltage battery circuit and low-temperature circuit)" There is a large, clearly marked reservoir under the hood. This is apparently for the (main) battery. What, then, is the "low-temperature circuit"? Where is its coolant reservoir--if any? In the literature I have found on line, there is reference made to the ability of the HVAC system to cool the battery in the event of high temperatures, but I'm not sure if this is related. Or, is this related to another reference I found, to a battery *heater* for winter use?

2. "Replace the combination filter (activated charcoal particle filter)" This, I assume, is what mere mortals call the "cabin air filter." Anyone have any instructions about how to replace it? wtzouris wrote on 9/18/2015 that it's behind the glove box and easy to remove--and promised a YouTube video. Didn't find the video (though there are videos for different versions of the B which have the filter in a different place). I see from another post that the MB part is No. 2468300018. I see that it runs $50-60, but the Wix No. WP10130 is $30 for the aftermarket. Can someone confirm this information?

3. "Check condition of brake pads/linings," "Visually check condition of brake disks" Has anyone driven one of these far enough yet to have brake wear? At 7,500 miles with regenerative braking (I have the paddles and use the maximum setting), I can't imagine that there's any perceptible wear. Thoughts? I have a friend with a Leaf, and he has worn out lots of sets of tires, but no brake pads...

Thanks for your input! We have to stick together. Sales of this vehicle are now ~50/mo. http://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/

I'm betting that other than the battery / powertrain, the car is essentially the same B250 that is sold here in Canada.

http://www.mercedes-benz.ca/content/canada/mpc/mpc_canada_website/en/home_mpc/passengercars/home/new_cars/models/b-class/_w246/explore/highlights.html

Wipers, brake pads, cabin filters, etc, should be interchangeable. A Canadian MB dealer should be able to confirm the MB part number for your B's model year.

To your point, we do have to stick together as there are so few B250e's on the road. In Alberta, I figure that I may be the only one driving one of these, and crazy enough to assume the risk having to flatbed the car back to the US for warranty service. My local MB dealer told me they can't warranty it because they don't have the tools or training to do it, but I'm sure their parts dept will have no problem fleecing me for B-Class wiper blades, cabin filters, and other consumables.

As for brake pads, I doubt you'll ever need to replace them unless you're an aggressive driver or otherwise plan to drive your B on the track. I'm kind of a hypermiler so i wouldn't be surprised if my brake pads are at 90% or more after 50,000 miles.

I would decline the service intervals on this car. They are basically nonsense put together by someone who barely understands ev's. I have declined every one so far...

Back