Finally sinking my teeth in

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saabluster

Well the B class bug bit me and I'm biting back. It's not completely done but I am almost completely done with purchasing a new 2014. Not just any B either. There is a fairly long story behind it and I will try to keep it short. Sufficed to say I think I am getting an incredible deal and a car with a mildly interesting provenance.

Found the car on Cars.com. When I pulled up the free carfax I noticed there was no reported owner. Strange. Only showed it as having minor service done at one dealership and then sold at auction to another Mercedes dealership. Called up the dealer and asked if it was a new car since the carfax shows no evidence of a prior owner. The guy on the other end of the line swears it is a used car. This of course is important as if it had been a used car with prior title work then I could not apply for the federal incentive of $7500. So a very big deal to me. But the guy stuck to his guns. The next day I called again because I just couldn't shake the feeling the guy did not know what he was talking about. Again the guy on the other end says that yes indeed it is a used car. I could tell this was an off the cuff remark so held no water in my estimation. I asked that he investigate it. A little while later he calls me and confirms that it is a used car. I asked how do you know that? His answer was because his manager told him it was. Not satisfied I asked him to research further into the matter stressing that $7500 rides on this issue.

Finally a bit later I get a call saying that I was right all along. The car never had been titled. So I moved forward negotiating from that point. They wanted just shy of $29,000 for this new car. This means roughly $23,000 off of msrp. And I still get to take the federal of $7500 for a grand total of $30,500 off!!! New car warranty to boot. It's all being wrapped up now. But I got to thinking about the strange circumstances surrounding this car. Why the strange carfax? It dawned on me that this car may have been used by corporate as a test car for reviews. Started searching various reviews and low and behold I found my exact car was the one used in the autoblog review a few months ago. Strangely this review was done on the verge of 2016 but supposedly reviewing a 2015 model when in fact what Mercedes sent them was a 2014. Oh my. Anyways I am stoked to be getting a B. It's not perfect but it is a fantastic little car that slots in beautifully for the needs of our family. I'll post some pics later.

Here is the link to the autoblog review with my car in it. http://www.autoblog.com/2015/12/22/2015-mercedes-benz-b-class-electric-drive-review/

This sounds very good to me, in the ballpark, but better than the deal I got: I leased a 2014 Electric Drive in mid-2015, and the final sale price in the lease agreement was ~$31k.

One consideration with buying one would be residuals, particularly after the next generation EVs come out in the next few years. (By way of comparison, you can buy 2013 Nissan Leafs with <10k miles for ~$10k.)

mycrobe said:
This sounds very good to me, in the ballpark, but better than the deal I got: I leased a 2014 Electric Drive in mid-2015, and the final sale price in the lease agreement was ~$31k.

One consideration with buying one would be residuals, particularly after the next generation EVs come out in the next few years. (By way of comparison, you can buy 2013 Nissan Leafs with <10k miles for ~$10k.)
Mycrobe curious. How is yours speced out? This one has literally every option Mercedes offered at the time including leather which I muuuuch prefer over the vinyl. We have a Ford Focus EV now on lease and are about to turn it back in. My original idea was just to buy a used Focus EV. But I really wanted more range, room, and a safer car. The B fits the bill. My thinking was the same as you when I leased our Focus and it has indeed proven to be a wise choice. But the EV scene is much different than three years ago. Considering the massive amount off this car I am not going to be upside down on it. Quite the contrary. I could sell it in a year for more than it cost me. Can't do that with a lease. That said this car is perfect for what we are buying it for. My wife's commuter car. That fact will not change when longer range cars are released. We do plan on purchasing a Tesla as our long range car. Probably go full Tesla in the future but the B is gonna be absolutely perfect for a long time to come.

saabluster said:
Mycrobe curious. How is yours speced out? This one has literally every option Mercedes offered at the time including leather which I muuuuch prefer over the vinyl. We have a Ford Focus EV now on lease and are about to turn it back in. My original idea was just to buy a used Focus EV. But I really wanted more range, room, and a safer car. The B fits the bill. My thinking was the same as you when I leased our Focus and it has indeed proven to be a wise choice. But the EV scene is much different than three years ago. Considering the massive amount off this car I am not going to be upside down on it. Quite the contrary. I could sell it in a year for more than it cost me. Can't do that with a lease. That said this car is perfect for what we are buying it for. My wife's commuter car. That fact will not change when longer range cars are released. We do plan on purchasing a Tesla as our long range car. Probably go full Tesla in the future but the B is gonna be absolutely perfect for a long time to come.

Its MSRP was $49k. It doesn't have leather or the range package.

I have to say that I don't share your optimism on resale values given steep discounts appear to be readily available on new Electric Drives and the upcoming 200 mile EVs. The proof of the pudding there will be in a year when 2014 EVs start coming off-lease in quantity.

Congrats on a great deal.

That autoblog review is amateur hour. The MBe has it's own pro's and con's, but that writer actually compares the interior with the eGolf which is just strange. After having been in a 2013 Leaf for three years, I was looking forward to seeing what my new options were in EV land. There are a few more models around, but really only two that are higher quality than the Leaf SL (the highest trim level) before you hit Tesla prices: BMW i3 and MB 250e. I personally find the i3 way to space-agey for my tastes (not to mention small), leaving the MBe as the best in terms of interior and overall refinements until you step up in to Tesla land. So in my view it's the best best under $50K right now.

redfive said:
Congrats on a great deal.

That autoblog review is amateur hour. The MBe has it's own pro's and con's, but that writer actually compares the interior with the eGolf which is just strange. After having been in a 2013 Leaf for three years, I was looking forward to seeing what my new options were in EV land. There are a few more models around, but really only two that are higher quality than the Leaf SL (the highest trim level) before you hit Tesla prices: BMW i3 and MB 250e. I personally find the i3 way to space-agey for my tastes (not to mention small), leaving the MBe as the best in terms of interior and overall refinements until you step up in to Tesla land. So in my view it's the best best under $50K right now.
Couldn't agree with you more. This is the best you can get Tesla excepted. I'm actually blown away this car doesn't get more attention. I'm am in full B class info gorging mode. Searching to the ends of the internet for tasty info morsels. My deal on the B is almost consummated. Check in route from from Texas to California as we speak. Should have it in 5-6 days. I can hardly contain my excitement.

Had expected to have my B by now. But an inexperienced salesman and buying out of state have conspired to make this process far longer than anticipated. That said I signed the final papers yesterday. So hopefully will hear back tomorrow that my car has shipped. Getting very antsy at this point.

Finally got my car today. Took way longer than I expected but man was it worth the wait. This car is phenomenal! Waaaay nicer than my FFE. Love the rich smell of the leather seats. Reminds me of my older saabs which had wonderfully scented leather. I will post pictures at a later date but I am still baffled by some of the ho-hum reviews I've seen of this car.

Nice deal - congratulations for getting this fantastic bargain on a great, fully loaded car!

Bimmerific said:
you got a nice deal. congrats! any photos of your new car?
Not yet. Been busy. But you can see pictures of my car by going to Autoblog. The blue one they reviewed is mine.

Great deal! I was watching that car too, but sadly as I'm from Canada...no federal or state tax incentives apply so I'd be into the car for $31K, + USD/CAD exchange + 5% Tax + 6% import duty which makes it a $46K car by the time I get it home. I ended up buying a 2014 B from a Mercedes dealership in Reno with 6700 miles on it for $23K. It has premium, and multimedia packages but no range extender or leather like yours.

I'm having mine shipped to Montana where I'll pick it up with a flatbed and take it over the border.

EDIT: Read the review...what a joke that reviewers put so much faith in the guess-O-meter like it's giving an EXACT reading for how many miles are remaining on a charge. Given that yours was provided as a review car - no doubt that the first thing reviewers did was hammer the throttle in sport mode to see how fast it is off the line, which skewed how many miles remain.

Yes that review was horrible. Keep in mind the one they tested is literally my car. The other day after a long and efficient trip I was surprised the next day when after charging back up(not range charged) it gave me an estimated range of 107 miles. So no nothing wrong with the battery as they suggested.

Best of luck on your car. Good price for sure. Followed your other thread and hope your car ends ups being flawless for you.

Hey, congrats on your car too. After months of researching EV's, and finally getting some seat time in a number of them, the B was hands-down the best overall value for us. Though not quite the "wow" experience of a Tesla, the B brought back those fond memories of the quiet and solid Mercedes ML's I used to own - but in a more compact package. Other than the B and Model S, everything else we drove felt cheap and came with more compromises than we were willing to accept.

The dealer is doing the annual battery check on my car tomorrow before shipping it. Can't wait to start driving it. Let's keep in touch and share experiences here.

I just though about the fact that Mercedes could/should offer the Range Charge "Upgrade" after the fact for $600, it would be nothing more than a software patch for all those 2014 models that didn't have that option installed when new. All 2015 and 2016 Model Year B250e have the range package. (The "extra insulation" in the roof and firewall are something that could only be done at the factory) It makes a huge difference in the winter if your commute happens to be 60 miles round trip.

The range option has three parts. First the firmware, then the windshield, and then the sound insulation.

Just adding the switch and enabling it would be enough for most people. I assume it requires an enable code since a user reported he lost his air conditioning and re-entering the enable code fixed it. It is likely any option has to be enabled. That is why I gave up on the paddle upgrade idea.

Oh yeah I almost forgot about the heated windshield which makes my radar detector useless. (I try to cram it up there with the EZ pass in the one clear area. ) When they start making the "green" EZ pass transponders in the smaller format...... The insulation in the roof? is whatever. For all that tech I wish there were an option to heat the windshield and the floor only, at a lower setting. The windshield currently gets too hot and you feel it on your face, even on the lowest (fan) defrost setting. I don't think it works as a heated windshield in any of the defrost combo modes.

Back