Front Emblem

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlennD

This morning a surf board came flying into my car on the 57 FWY. It ripped off the front emblem and slightly left green paint on the Clear Coat. The dealer wanted $226 for the part but I did get the part number 1648880411. I found it online for $158.42 shipped. It looks like it also fits a GL55.

The paint will rub out and it looks like the $564 radar unit just clips to the emblem. It should be here next week with no tax. I would not leave the gaping hole but since the car is leased I have no choice.

Well, the marks came off with normal kit wax. I did not have to resort to rubbing compound.

I find it very interesting that the part number for the B was $225 and the same number for the GL55 was $168. It looks to me that Mercedes is trying to recoup some of the losses on the car. My parts advisor went by my VIN but he gave me the part number when I asked. There is more than a fifty dollar difference.

I purchased it from ECS Tuning for a 15% discount. With shipping less sales tax it is still cheaper after adding priority shipping for $14.68. Google is awesome!

GlennD said:
This morning a surf board came flying into my car on the 57 FWY.
Holy crap! Good to hear you are okay and that the board didn't take a higher trajectory and impale the windshield. Scary stuff.

GlennD,

You are safe which is the most important. Either you are a really good guy or the surfer dude could not pay for the repair or its that dang insurance hassle thing at work.

Correct that many of the parts are used in C-class and others.

The really bad thing about this is with the lanes filled I had no choice. The slightly good thing was I was the first one or nearly the first one so the board was nearly at freeway speed. I would imagine it really caused damage behind me when it slowed down.

Aside from the emblem and three paint patches I suffered no damage. It could have been much worse. With my comprehension deductible at $500 I will not turn this in to State Farm. Good thing the harness kept the very expensive radar unit intact.

JeffRay said:
GlennD,

You are safe which is the most important. Either you are a really good guy or the surfer dude could not pay for the repair or its that dang insurance hassle thing at work.

Correct that many of the parts are used in C-class and others.

I did not stop and I did not see the vehicle that the board came from. When I got home I saw the damage.

Interestingly, The ECS invoice says replace your damaged or missing emblem. I think when I put it back it is going to meet JB Weld.

Well the emblem arrived today. In looking at the grill the top left chrome strip was displaced and the grill must have been displaced by the board but everything came back eith no damage. All of the marks and the blue-green paint scratches rubbed out. I recall the board going under the car in my right. I hope he is OK but I really made out.

I just snapped it back into place. In thinking about it, I want it to snap out under duress so no epoxy.

Back