B250e options - Electric Art Premium

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

min1300

Hi all, just joined today. After a 12 month decision making exercise over LEAF, i3 or other, I discovered the Mercedes on Friday - what appears to be the most undermarketed car I've ever come across!!

Test drive yesterday and really liked it, so after finding a LEAF beating 2 year lease deal, I'm ready to press the button and commit. However I am seeing conflicting information on forums and ebrochure about options....

Questions:

- Does the Electric Art Premium have Apple CarPlay as standard?

- Is the COMAND package useful / what does it do? (My Mini had Facebook, email etc, but totally pointless)

- How much would the Energy pack (Range Plus etc) typically add to a lease cost? Are options generally paid in full even if you are leasing for two years (I.e. Would I be paying £800 upfront / combined into the monthly payments @ ~£30 PM extra??

Love the car, rapid charge not really an issue for me :)

Min1300,

Which model year are you leasing? Options are just extras. If you like the car and the price, you won't be sorry. In my humble opinion:

- Dunno, check website or use to pester salesperson to drive lease cost down.
- I am a minimalist, so only use COMAND for Navigation, Climate, Audio and Phone. All work fine without much thinking necessary. The Navigation is a little clunky relative to smartphone.
- There is likely residual value imbedded in RP at end of lease but you never know until you look at lease runout. My salesperson emailed me the detail so I could compare two different cars and see all the calculations and assumptions.

If you don't need rapid charge, it suggests you don't need extra range. Wasn't available with my 2014 but would get it today as I have hit sub-5% a number of times in the first 23 months of leasing.

Go for it and let us know the deal you got.

The B250e is fantastic and oh-so reliable. I almost got a BMW i3 instead, the i3 drives better, but in late 2014 I did not like the range of the i3 and the styling. Next time around January 2018 I may extend the lease on my current B250e or get the 2017-2018 BMW i3 in all-black or all-grey if they offer it. The range is now 114 miles and the styling is growing on me. We did a 3-day test on the i3 and my wife said it doesn't matter what it looks like it is the most fun car I have ever driven. The other day I wanted to drive 90 miles each way (180 miles round trip for work) and the Mercedes it is just not possible without workplace Level 2 charging. With the BMW i3 there would have been some DCFC (Fast Charging) options to make a trip like that possible.

I think the Mercedes is so fantastic, and as long as you accept the fact that the company is not serious about electric cars for at least 4 years, this car is strictly for California compliance, and a very half-hearted attempt. It happens to be a car that works very well. If it had a 48 kWh battery and DCFC, it would have been perfect. (Maybe AWD too).

Thank you both for your insight! Seems to be a choice of blue/ white or white/blue. Not sure about the wing mirrors though...

My daily commute is 58 miles there and back with 1/3 of it being 40mph, 1/3 60mph and 1/3 70mph. Should be fine without range pack right??

Ps I'm in UK South coast

Min1300,

Oh, wtzouris has a longish commute each day, check out his posts, or search for stretch2727's March242015 post. My daily commute is 10 miles each way but here is my two cents anyway.

I would say get the range extended version AND find an outlet at work to charge for a few hours as I think your commute of 116+ mile roundtrip is right on the edge and totally efficiency and weather dependent. IF you could plug in at work for a few hours, even with a regular 110 outlet, you would be fine. Here I assume you have a garage at home to charge each night to 100%. Plus, inevitably, there is a side trip which you want to be able to do without thinking too much. Also consider that mileage on all electric cars degrade when outside temperatures drop below 45 degrees F. Check out those posts if not already in wtzouris' or stretch2727's posts.

Hope this helps.

Hey Jeff - sorry, I meant my commute is 58 miles in total each day :)

So I guess from your post that this should be fine - we have 240v in UK, but only single phase, so expect a FULL charge to take ~9 hours. I have an IKEA right next to work, so could always use their charger for half an hour or so if I was desperate.

Climate down on the south coast is rarely below freezing, winter temps usually around 40F (5C), spring/autumn 58F (15C)

Min1300,

Whew. So it is a choice then of springing for the range extended version upfront or plugging into IKEA outlet if need be. You should expect an absolute minimum of 60 miles given your route and once you start minding the efficiency meter (early on, the very quick starts is very exciting but eats volts). I think many of us current owners would spring for the range extended version as things just come up that one never anticipated. For me, like wtzouris, am going to trade up to a 200 mile electric in 2018 for example. Completely up to you then sir.

Awesome, thanks Jeff. We'all be going for it then - originally was thinking electric two years ago, but wasn't confident in the technology back then. Now it's a no brainier, then once the lease is up late 2018, go for something 200 mile plus!

JeffRay said:
Min1300,

Whew. So it is a choice then of springing for the range extended version upfront or plugging into IKEA outlet if need be. You should expect an absolute minimum of 60 miles given your route and once you start minding the efficiency meter (early on, the very quick starts is very exciting but eats volts). I think many of us current owners would spring for the range extended version as things just come up that one never anticipated. For me, like wtzouris, am going to trade up to a 200 mile electric in 2018 for example. Completely up to you then sir.

I had the range extender and I found it useful. Mercedes made that and paddles stock on 2015 and later cars. The rear view camera is a must have in my opinion. If I had the money to get a new B I would want premium 1, Rear view camera, blind spot warning and multimedia. The other options are included.

Like others I put down my 1K for a model 3 and my current eGolf should hold me until then. I am guessing late 2018 if it happens at all.

I've done it!!

Electric Art Premium in blue
Energy Pack
Smartphone integration
CarPlay

2 year lease, £230 pm with £670 down

Happy days - cheaper than my current 2014 Cooper and 50% less than i3 with no options!

min1300,

Excellent. Nice price which must include some UK tax incentives.

Enjoy the ride, keep perusing this forum for useful tips.

Back