Oil leak?

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowds

Yep, one thing I never thought I would see with an electric car. My BED with only 6,000 miles was in for its annual battery certification. The technician noted oil leaking from around the axle shaft seals. I do not have the car back yet, so not sure exactly what is being replaced, but something you may want to have checked next time you are in for something else.

B250e is Front Wheel Drive, maybe the CV boots near the front wheels? If the oil is coming from the Drive Unit, you could be in for a motor replacement.

It sounds like they only replaced seals. Was supposed to be done today, but now they've moved on to several software updates. Having a repair like this so early doesn't auger well for the the longer life of the car.

The official entry was:
"During inspection, found oil leaking from transmission at left and right front axle half radial seals. Replace left and right radial seals. Correct oil level on trans 780."

The 2014 was the first production year although it was built on an existing B-Class platform. So I would expect issues with v1 as it relates to the electric power train but would not have expected with other more standard items. I assume you have a warranty from MB. Thanks for the post as no one has previously reported on this forum.

My dealer replaced these seals during a recent service. Never a drop of oil in the garage or anything but during the inspection the tech noticed the leak and replaced them.

If those continue to leak that oil seepage will attack the rubber CV boots and then they will fail causing a far more expensive repair down the road.

I had the same issue - leaks at the axle seals discovered during the 20K mile service. The pink/red fluid was obvious from underneath the car, but not too obvious in my own garage. This seems to be a pretty big issue for this car. I think there have been a handful of reports for this on this forum, but it's the only major issue that has come up besides the power loss one. That other problem seems to have been taken care of by the recall. I recommend everyone take a look. The Tesla S and the RAV4 have had some similar issues that have triggered recalls.

Thanks guys for pointing at it!
Was doing my 2nd checkup at 21k and ask to check for axle seals leak. Explained serviceman that other users pointed on possible issues.
Indeed they discovered small leak on one side. And found MB recommendation for this year and model to change both seals.
Replaced under warranty.
Now seriously considering purchasing extra warranty.
Local Mercedes dealership offered me 6 years 100k for $2400. Extended warranty for electric cars is the cheapest!
But still hesitating. Based on my experience all issues are appearing within first 50k. Then cars usually driving without any issues until like 120k and then slowly starting falling apart :roll:

leousa,

If the extended warranty also covers the battery and motor, worth considering if you are keeping MBe long-term. I would consider for the 200 mile version, not this one which I plan to turn in sometime in 2018. I am less confident with newer cars loaded with electronics as I am with my 2006 wagon.

I wouldn't say that all BED will have problems with this component. Perhaps it's a single issue that was caused by uncommon reasons. Although I would definitely recommend to get an extended warranty to make sure that you will not have to fix it at your own expenses. You can also look up aftermarket accessories and repair parts for this model here https://www.carid.com/2015-mercedes-b-class-accessories/

Back