Using Fast Charging Points

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

handK

Hi all,

We've just bought a B250e. Very happy so far, and having our home charging point installed today.

My question is whether it is possible to use a fast/rapid charger? I know the b250e will charge at 11kwph on a 3-phase 22kw charger, however will it also charge on a 43kw+ fast charger, albeit at the lower 11kw rate?

99% of our journeys will be fine on an overnight charge but I just wanted to know this for the occasional longer journey where a fast charger is the only option.

Many thanks

Fast charging is called level 3. The B only has level 1 & 2. The maximum you can charge is 40A @240V or around 10KWH.

Both the RAV4 EV and the Mercedes B use a Tesla drive train that lacks L3. Quick Charge Power has an L3 adapter for the RAV4 and they plan to port it to the B since it is very similar. It costs around 3K for the Toyota.

Ok great. Thanks for the info. Really appreciate it.

So what would happen if we pugged in to a level 3 fast charging point? These have the same connector (in the U.K. Car has the same type 2 mennekes)

handK said:
Hi all,

We've just bought a B250e. Very happy so far, and having our home charging point installed today.

My question is whether it is possible to use a fast/rapid charger? I know the b250e will charge at 11kwph on a 3-phase 22kw charger, however will it also charge on a 43kw+ fast charger, albeit at the lower 11kw rate?

99% of our journeys will be fine on an overnight charge but I just wanted to know this for the occasional longer journey where a fast charger is the only option.

Many thanks

Hi handK,

Im in the uk and own the b250e and can confirm that if you plug it into a fast charger (43kw) then the car will charge at 11kwph no issues at all, The only thing to look at is some suppliers will charge say £5 for 15mins so its no use using these as the cost would be stupid amounts. Also some are free but timed so switch off after a small amount of time again useless to use.

I find polar/chargemaster are the best to use asy you pay 9p/pkwh if part of their scheme. Also ecotricity have a few 22kw charging stations dotted along the motorway which are free to use. There are not to many of them but they are out there.

Back