Would a new 2017 B250e reliably make 98 mile commute?

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rihallix

Seriously considering a B250e for a 98 roundtrip commute from Marin County, California to mid peninsular in the Bay Area. My office does not have nearby charging points (still confirming) so I'd only want to charge at home overnight. I really like the look of the B250e, just bought another Mercedes and loving it. Much classier car inside than a Bolt or e-Golf, and not the strange exterior of the i3.

My dealer reckons the B250e should make the trip easily. I'm thinking he may be pushing it to sell a car and I could end up stranded.

The one way commute works out like this:
- first 15 miles on the freeway, some hills (going through the Robin Williams tunnel)
- next 7 miles on 19th avenue doing stop / go up to 45mph
- final 26 miles on 280 freeway where most people do 65 - 80mph

Would the B250e reliably make the 98 mile roundtrip?

Sounds like it should do it with the range extending charging option enabled, but that isn't recommended for frequent use - I'd potentially have to use it every day.

Would welcome insights from B250e owners. Right now my thinking is the B250e would only work if I had access to a charging station at the office (still checking on this) reducing the required range from 98 miles to half that.

Not reliably - you are inviting trouble with the B-Class. While you should be fine on most days, driving in strong headwind or cooler temperatures may take you out of range. Also, driving 80 mph will drain the battery fast. Then what about the day you need to swing by Costco, or go to the dentist?

While I appreciate you like the B (we all do on this forum), in your situation it is just more convenient to go for the Bolt, for the time being. Then after three years you can get the EQ, or a Model 3.

Forgot to mention, only a few days left to order a Model S60. This is a bit pricier than the B-Class, but you will not have any problems with range.

The Tesla Model 60 breaks the bank. Really need that sub $330/ month payment.

There's a charging station 12 minutes away from my new office. How many extra miles could you add to the B250e's range if you charged it for 30 minutes? I know a deficiency with the B250e is that it doesn't have a DC fast charger. This nearby charger is a level 2.

Thinking I can slip out at lunch hour and charge it.

Assuming this is a 6 kW charger, you can add about 10 miles in 30 min. But, what do you do when the charging station is busy? And, what is the value of your time - instead of making friends at the new office, and doing lunch with the team, you have to bolt for charging... If one hour is worth $25, you are spending an extra $500/month to put up with the lousy range - not worth it IMHO. Go for the Bolt, or take a look at the Volt - if you get a charging station at work you return home in EV mode, until then you return on gas.

Dracula said:
But, what do you do when the charging station is busy? And, what is the value of your time - instead of making friends at the new office, and doing lunch with the team, you have to bolt for charging... If one hour is worth $25, you are spending an extra $500/month to put up with the lousy range - not worth it IMHO. Go for the Bolt, or take a look at the Volt - if you get a charging station at work you return home in EV mode, until then you return on gas.

Dracula - you make a highly cogent point.

For me the interior of the Chevy cars doesn't cut it - that's just my opinion as a buyer. The Mercedes was at the top - and for a budget price. For the reasons you state, and the quality issue this leave the i3 REX as the last man standing unless I can delay purchasing (long commute is forcing the decision) or a reliable charging point is offered at work.

I totally agree with the Count, lots of other variables to consider. But consider this, I own a 2014 MBe without range extender. In both my office locations, there was an outdoor 110 socket. I arranged with the landlord to allow me to plug in because she thought the car was neat. Slow charge, yes, but plug in for work day and go home with 20-25% added back. So snoop around the perimeter before throwing in the towel. I use the car exclusively as an urban getabout so can't comment on maximum range but beware if temperatures drop below 50 degrees, range begins to decline at least a mile or two per degree drop. Not precise but there are posts that do a more precise calculation on temperature effect on range and how much charging on a 110 outlet gets you per hour.

You can also wait till MB comes out with its rumored but not verified 200 mile car. They either compete with others or get out of this segment.

Back