B-Class Electric Drive Forum

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Motor whining, needs replacement
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:44 am 

I just got a call from my service advisor (Escondido MB). He originally said 4 days, which is probably why he called today. But the parts guy told him that the last time they had to do a motor swap, it took 3 months. So, your right JeffRay.

My main problem with the length of time is that the loaner car costs me more money. I drive all the way to downtown, so the carpool lane is a huge benefit to me. I got a Fastrak, so I can use the lanes, but it costs about $5 per day. Also, I have solar so my Furl charge is almost free. With the loaner, I just filled up for $30 yesterday. Also, my lease is due in October, so maybe that will factor into any solution.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:59 am 

I would rather be wrong, sorry to hear 3 mos Ferdball. Given your report and the other one, I pretty much am decided against buying out my lease in December. I will either lease a 2016 leftover or wait till the new MB 200 mile range car comes online.

Hope for the best, short turnaround, for you guys.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:51 pm 

I also authorized them to put on new tires and do an alignment. If I get this back with only 2 months left on the lease, that's a waste of money. I'm going to have another fight for that one. BTW, this will be my 4th front set in 28k miles!

Jeff, are you not interested in a Tesla Model 3? I know the East Coast won't get it too soon, so timing could be an issue. But yeah, I wouldn't buy this out for anywhere near the $22k residual price.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:12 pm 

Ferdball wrote:
GGV wrote:
My car has whining noise when accelerating since beginning

Since the beginning? Is it getting worse? I would recommend having it looked at.

High pitched noise (whining?) was since beginning (almost 2 years). A lot of quieter than ICEngine noise and only noticeable over 50% power or on low speed and quiet road.
I never worries about it - seems to me as "natural" sound of electric motor.
Nothing else (like acceleration) was affected.

What makes you think that this is a issue?

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:31 pm 

Ferdball, it is a timing thing and I do like our MBe as do the kids. The T3 won't be available this year in any case. I figure I will do my Black Friday thing again and knock a few bucks off a lease on a 2016 leftover and turn in my gently used 2014 with about 8K miles. Yeah, I know, but it is my urban commute mobile and we have my wife's wagon for longer trips.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:33 pm 

GGV, I don't hear that and given that two of our members cars are having their motors replaced by MB, best to have yours checked out by the dealer. Let us know what they say.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:38 pm 

How loud is this whining?
Mine is much quieter than wipers.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:06 am 

Ferdball wrote:
I just got a call from my service advisor (Escondido MB). He originally said 4 days, which is probably why he called today. But the parts guy told him that the last time they had to do a motor swap, it took 3 months. So, your right JeffRay.

My main problem with the length of time is that the loaner car costs me more money. I drive all the way to downtown, so the carpool lane is a huge benefit to me. I got a Fastrak, so I can use the lanes, but it costs about $5 per day. Also, I have solar so my Furl charge is almost free. With the loaner, I just filled up for $30 yesterday. Also, my lease is due in October, so maybe that will factor into any solution.

Did MB explain what's the potential consequence of the motor whining noise? I see similar symptoms as GGV but don't experience any issues besides the noise and I just had the B service and nothing was mentioned about the motor. So, I wonder if the problem is so serious that it's worth giving up the car and lose carpool lane for 3 months since I only have 11 months left on my lease.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:42 pm 

EVNewbie, I don't know about you but if someone who is not familiar with our cars says everything is fine, the problem I have is that they don't know what the gremlins are. Different if it was a gas powered engine.

If you truly have the high pitch engine noise, I would bring it back to the dealer and tell them that two other owners had to replace the engine under warranty and that they are requested to talk to the hochos at MBUSA in NJ.

Worst case, you are driving on highway at speed and your engine craps out. When I have had a tire blow out at speed on the highway, it was the scariest thing I have ever experienced. In that case, I had the power to maneuver to the service lane and avoid causing worse.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:51 pm 

Actually, I got a call from my service advisor. He said that they had a pow wow with the service manager, and they determined that it was safe to drive until the new drive unit came in.

This is good news, as it will save me money from gas and toll charges. But that leaves me with the need to get new tires and alignment on it.

I was supposed to pick it up on Saturday (5/20), but never got the call that it was ready. They might still call on Monday, or maybe they changed their minds..?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next