Other Electrics Available Now

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffRay

Since there is only a small incentive at MB these days, around $2500 off MSRP, I have started looking at:

1. Chevy Bolt, smaller than our MB250e but 235 miles per charge. Unclear what incentives there are.

2. Ford Focus, have not seen one but they have a $5000 incentive and 115 miles range. Looks promising. About the same interior size as Bolt.

3. Tesla 3, did not put my money down so not a current option for me.

4. VW Golf, have not looked into.

I would like the extra range but don't need it right now.

There are good deals on Kia Soul EVs right now.

http://www.kia.com/us/en/offers/2017/11743?series=soul-ev&offers=3,2,1,4

The $199/mo zero down lease for the nicer EV+ model is appealing.

My lease is up June 2018 so I'm not really looking yet.

Main question for me: what EVs I could drive without regret about B250, without losing much of MB fun and comfort?
Alas, currently - almost nothing for affordable price.
Maybe - Bolt Premier (I was able to sit in LT, seats are not good...)
Kia SOUL is lethargic compare to B250 sport mode
Ford Focus E - maybe good option according to specs but I've got depressive feeling after test drive.

Future might be promising:
Tesla 3 - sometime in the end of next year
Honda Clarity 2018 (both EV & plug-in) - my main hope for now
Nissan LEAF 2018 - maybe, though I am skeptical about comfort (not range)

GGV, I definitely feel your pain. At this point, my leading options are:

1. Sit out till luxury electrics with 200+ range available. Sigh.

2. Extend my lease for 12 months if they let me.

3. Lease a 2017 MB 250e leftover the minute they decide to get rid of remaining inventory.

I also looked at Bolt and Focus and only the Focus remains in play mainly because it is so cheap.

Why not consider a Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) BMW i3 for purchase?

The prices are really great to buy a used one now. In March, I got a 2014 CPO i3 with only 16K miles... that means 4 years and 84,000 miles of warranty (that's better than a lot of new cars) for $19K. I'm paying on loan what others are paying for lease. I just saw a nice used one online for $15K!

Let's put the styling issues aside - that's a taste thing. But the i3 and B-Class are similar beasts:
- both luxury brands with nice appointments
- both have peppy performance
- both have about the same range

Mercedes B-Class has:
- more rear and trunk room
- slightly more luxury appointments
BMW i3 has:
- DC Fast Charger (this makes up for a lot of range if you have fast chargers on your drive)
- More roomy front seats
- Some nice tech things like full adaptive cruise control.

Overall - 2 good choices. I would take a CPO i3 with long warranty over any of those other cars mentioned any day (And I did!)

Remember - depreciation slows over time - it's not linear. So, in 2 years if you want to sell a CPO i3 that's still under warranty with a total of 50K miles, it won't depreciate that much -- it's already taken the major hit. At which point you can sell it and get a Tesla model 3 ... :)

Buff
2014 BMW i3
(in purchase process) 2014 Mercedes B-Class Electric
2008 Mercedes R350

Buff,

I will take another look at the i3, perhaps I was too hasty at the get go. My sisters car is in her LA garage and I might be able to buy it from my brother-in-law. Or another used one as you say.

Does anyone have any experience to report on driving other electrics in snowy conditions? I normally drive my wife's 4matic when the plows are out, not my B250e. Although I put snow tires on them, they still spin on metal plates and occasionally skid to a stop when using brake instead of regen to stop.

Back