B-Class Electric Drive Forum

It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Motor whining, needs replacement
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:28 pm 

It was more like this. https://youtu.be/S4AmLcBLZWY?t=55s

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:51 pm 

But in al seriousnous, my noise wasn't so bad. I first started hearing it when the windows were down and driving next to a wall. The reflected sound was easy to hear. Then after a while, it was easy to hear even with the windows up. It was a whining sound.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:05 pm 

I think the motor is a Tesla Model S motor (the same as the Rav4EV).

If that's the case the early motors have a "milling" sound (search for "model s milling").

If that's what you had it's not a safety issue. There have been no reported cases of one of these motors stopping completely, it's just annoying.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:42 pm 

mine is in for 'motor and transmission replacement'

i was going to ask if they meant the motor controller, but decided not to explain to the service advisor...

2014 Mercedes B-Class Electric Drive - Night Black - Premium Package - Multimedia Package - Interior Package Black Leather- Parktronic Active Parking Assist - Blind Spot Assist - Burl Walnut Wood Trim Matte

2013 BMW ActiveHybrid3

2001 BMW X5 4.4i Sport

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:06 pm 

I have heard the milling sound is from metal shavings in the sealed Tesla motor-- a manufacturing or tolerance defect. It has happened in motors as young as 5k miles and as old as 50k miles. My B-Class is the same after 30k miles -drives better in fact. But I would not drive this car out of warranty knowing that a $10k motor repair or a $5k computer gateway repair is something that could occur at any time. I love electric vehicles, but I am sticking with newer ones under full manufacturers warranty.. The noisy motors are not dangerous. They get louder and louder over several months and at that point you usually have another motor on order. Safe to drive is correct -- it is like having a squeaky hinge or a bad bearing. Just keep driving it would be unbearably loud before it failed outright. Toyota has a "Platinum" warranty covering everything on the RAV4EV for up to 7 years/125k miles -- is there an equivalent warranty for Mercedes B-Class? Don't think so. I'm switching to a BMW i3 REX (2017 model) this December. They've finally worked out the kinks.
Looking forward to driving a car by a company that is passionate about EVs.