Without restarting, consult workshop

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joe, this is BIG if they have to replace the electric motor. Check to see that it is covered under the warranty which I assume it is. When I say BIG, let me explain my thinking based on MB experience.

Back in 2004, I ordered an E500 sedan with navigation installed. At delivery, they gave me a car without the navigation and said the part would come and they would install it here. About six months later, I got a call from my salesman who informed I had two choices, they would give me the money back on the navigation option or they would swap my six month old car for a new one with the navigation installed at the factory. They could not do the install in NYC. I took the new car and turned in my old car which had 4000 miles on it. Also switched interior color for free.

So, in your case, how in the world will your dealer know how to install a new electric motor when we have a limited run edition made in Germany? When they figure that one out, they will either have to fly a technician from Germany to do it along with the part or offer you some other compensation. If I were you, I would settle for a new 2016 or 2017 replacement car or a buyout at retail value.

This is really interesting, your loss of car aside, sorry. So please let us know how this works out.

I did ask the Service Director if he had personally heard of an electric motor replacement on the B class. (my indirect way of saying, are you sure your shop knows how to do this).
He gave me the 'politically correct' response of, "I have not personally heard of it, but we are a big dealership and it doesn't mean it hasn't been done before."
I just let it go and did not pursue the conversation...

I did call MBUSA yesterday to open a case for my situation. I was told my issue would be referred and I would be getting a call back within 24 hrs. (it has been 23 hrs now and I have not received the call).

I did get a call from MBUSA on 5/9.
I just spoke to him again (MBUSA rep in New Jersey) and he says the motor has arrived at my dealership and they are working on it.

I am waiting for call back from my Service Director to hear his update and ETA.

Finally, let us know when you get the car back and if the problem has been resolved. Ask them if they will compensate you for your out-of-pocket expenses, gas, etc.

The Service Director surprised me on 5/12 by telling me the car was ready.
I picked it up that afternoon and the car runs great. The whining noise under acceleration is gone. Everything works and seems to be normal.

I requested for both lease payment and fuel reimbursement. I made this request to both the dealer and MBUSA. I was told by the Service Manager that MBUSA will want me to sign some 'release' form and then the dealer will cut me a check.

I have called MBUSA to follow up and waiting for their callback (response).

Attaboy Joe. Just make sure the release is for other costs incurred and in no way voids their warranty on the new engine.

I got the MBUSA 'release' form in late May, and they wanted it notarized. I returned it to my local dealership along with the fuel receipts.

Last Friday, I got my check in the mail from the dealership (lease payment and fuel reimbursement), so I am sufficiently satisfied.

The car has ran great and normal (no noise at all).

NO NOISE ??? My B when first starting out or at low speeds sounds like a moaning and stops when faster speeds are reached. It usually occurs when it is cold starting and winds down when pedal is released. Yes, I said "moaning" and not whining. Normal??

Chuck007, are you talking about the pedestrian warning sound or something else? I can hear mine when the garage guys pull it out for me. Can't hear squat inside car with windows closed.

My car "moans" occasionally when I have the A/C running.

Other than that, from time to time I used to get the "malfunction visit workshop" warning when I plug in my car immediately after returning from a commute. The solenoid in my Clipper Creek HCS-40p would click twice and the message would show up. I've since lowered my charging to from "maximum" (32 amps with my EVSE) down to 13 amps at home to pair better with my solar generation and it hasn't happened since. Not sure if it's a quirk with the car or a problem with the EVSE.

It's been a while since I've posted here. 30,000 km so far with my B and it's been running great.

No.....I hear this with the windows up and it is a drone or moan that is occurring every morning at start up and like I said it seems to be rpm dependent that winds down when you release the "gas" pedal ( the pitch slowly drops )

Please have the dealer check it out if you can citing known problem with some of the motors.

Regarding the subject, is there any updates about the reasons which causes such a message? I have got same message two times both in same conditions when braking to traffic lights using D-. It is possible to acknowledge the message, but then right away appears brown written message "Malfunction Visit Workshop". I visit both times in official MB service center but they are not able to find a root cause of fault. Just reset error codes and propose to follow if same happens again. Before the "Without restaring..." message charging went through up to 100% without problems, but after the message charging starts well, but stops to 95% with blinking red light on top of the charging socket. Finally in this morning the car was not starting at all and it gives a red message "Stop Switch Engine Off". This message cannot be acknowledged. Also EV-meter in gauge panel indicates 0 but charging gauge 95%. Last visit in the service center their engineer said that he reset an error code which was related to over voltage in somewhere, and after reset the charging was OK with two different units. Also short test drive was passed OK. They also consult the factory, but so far no reply from there.

Any suggestions? Now I have to arrange a towing truck to get car back to service :evil:

PVA,

Sorry to hear. Assume your car received all software updates. This sounds like a new observation not previously discussed in this forum. Overvoltage is what the MB engineer cited and simply resetting the system is NOT solving the root cause. I would arrange for a tow, a loaner, and have them do full investigation under warranty. Tell them that it is their job to find the problem and fix it, not yours. At the same time, please check out your home charger.

Good luck. Again, this is unfortunate.

Since I started this thread long long time ago....

But all I can add is that after a couple extended service visits and weeks of burning fossil fuel in a C300 loaner car they replaced what I think was the battery heater or charge heater and it solved the issue for good. Mine only acted up in cold weather. No error message of any kind in more than 10k miles since then.

Those are standard Benz error messages, not special to The B class so we can’t discern anything from them. The dealer has to sort it out which usually means collecting data and opening a case with the factory in Germany.

Good luck.

After 10 days service period the result was that hv-battery pack will be renewed as a warranty. This means at least 10 more days to wait. Factory tries to find RCA when they receives old package.

PVA, good to hear they finally got to covered under warranty. Unfortunately, with limited experience, their reflex answer is no until we push the point.

When cleared, please let us know.

Got my car back and charging seems to be ok. As they replaced the charging unit also, i think that no one knowns the actual RCA. Service center promised to keep me updated, but i am not expecting much.

However another problem occured when I chaged to winter tyres. Is there any instructions how to get rid of the warning lighth? Tyres dont have tpms sensors installed. According to service center the warning light is only visual warning, no other functions.

As far as I know the service center has to register the sensors. In my ex eGolf you could turn off the sensor reading for winter tires, not so the B. The B is strictly a CARB car with the minimum effort required to fit the Tesla Drivetrain. Normal Mercedes frills are lacking. It does not even have a charge indicator. That said, I really like the car.

My turn! 2016 with 2400 miles

have had error: Malfunction, visit workshop - once
and Without restarting, ... - twice

After 5 days of testing & sending info to HQ, dealer says it needs new Drive Unit

expected delivery from CA is 7 days for part & 3 days to install

Back