Considering the 250e

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

in2insight

Hello,

Did a test drive last night. Nice car, good ride, and great deal to be had.
My main concern is the sluggish / lazy response when accelerating, mainly from stop and slow speeds.
Would love to hear any "fixes" you may have come up with, or how you deal with this in real world driving.

Cheers!

in2i,

Welcome. I guess it depends what you are comparing it to. Electrics have the reputation of being quick off mark but not particularly fast. The B250e is a compliance car built on from a B-Class gas design. If you want better action, be sure that you are in S mode vs E or E+. I have not tested difference but it is there to modify speed vs. range.

I drive primarily in urban stop and go traffic and it is plenty quick enough to switch lanes as needed.

Give it another try, no limit on test drives. Select S mode.

Hi everyone! I just picked up my new '17 B250e tonight for a 24mo lease. I came out of a 2014 BMW i3 w/o range extender. A few things I have noticed. Performance: the i3 is more nimble and precise with a futuristic unique interior exterior. The rear wheel drive made it quite zippy around Philadelphia. The B250e is 400kg heavier and front wheel drive so you lack that push. Even in sport mode it's a bit softer from start (luxury vehicle >>sports car) but much more stable at >65mph. It wafts along comfortably and isolated compared to the i3. Both are excellent automobiles but fill a slightly different niche. Interesting how despite having similar ranges and being 1st generation EVs for both manufacturers they are quite different approaches. For me, I decided to lease the B250e because it was $150-$200/mo cheaper than a similar '17 BMW i3 and for only 24 months vs 36 months on the i3. Moreover, BMW no longer does multiple security deposits (refundable at the end of the lease and drops your monthly payment) but MB will. In 2 years many more EV options. This is our commuter car and needs to fit 2 kids (1 and 4) which became tight in the i3 (I'm 6'6").

The accelerator peddle is sluggish in E, Try S or sport mode. Same basic power but recalibrated.

If you live in a CARB state Mercedes has amazing lease deals. My 49K B250E leased for 33K for three years. That includes the Federal $7500. Mercedes really needs the CARB credits. I probably will not file for a portion of the California credit unless they catch that I only had the VW for one year. You are supposed to keep the car 30 months.

Groshyubcha,

Welcome. Enjoy the ride!

Yes, I make the same decision when mine were 9 years old back in 2014. Only got more important, i.e. rear leg room, when I reupped into my 2017. The kids only get bigger!

Back