Charging rate from 110V home outlet

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Groshyubcha

Good morning, I had a bit of a surprise this morning when I came to my car. I plugged the B250e into the EVSE that comes with the car: 12amp 240V with 35% charge at 9:00pm. Returned at 6:00am (9 hours later) and only had 53% charge despite increasing the rate to maximum charge by selecting the 4-bar charging option on the EVSE (2-bar = slow and 4-bar = fast). Why was it so slow?

My i3 has options for level 1 charging (110v) to be as follows: Level 1 to be Max (16A), Reduced (12A) or Low (8A).
On the max that a standard outlet would allow (w/o tripping the circuit breaker) I could charge from 30-40% to 100% on a typical night. Why can't the B250e? Is it because of battery capacity w/ B250e being 28-33kwH the i3 22kwh?
If that is the case, why would people claim they can charge the car fully overnight from standard outlet??
Thanks!

The 2017 EVSE is still sealed in a bag. If it is the same as my 2014 the default is 8A and you have to manually switch to 12A (the max for a 15A outlet). I carry an OpenEVSE unit with me. It is default at 12A @120V and 16A at 240V. The L1 can be set hotter for a 20A circuit but the last one had a bad 120V adapter and I never noticed it and I sold it that way. I only tested it on 240V.

Basically it is just along for the ride. I charge at home when needed

Mr. G,

Best to get the app so you can monitor what is actually going on with any charger. In this case, you may have a bad charger but more likely, the outlet you are using might need to be upgraded. On four lights with a dedicated outdoor outlet, for me, it can range from 0.6 kwh to 1.1 kwh. A 110v outlet is just for topups, for your 35% starting number, it could take as long as 30 hours to recharge to 100% at 0.6 kwh.

Get the app and see what your outlet is pulling in. If it is not a dedicated outlet and something else is drawing power on the line, your charging will suffer and the circuit could be tripped.

Try the charger with a dedicated outlet somewhere.

For home, best to upgrade to one of the 240v chargers talked about on this forum. That can recharge an range plus to 120% overnight for sure.

JeffRay and GlennB thank you for your help!
The OpenEVSE is it from: https://store.openevse.com ?
The app: EVaccess is no longer on the Apple App store.
I will have to install the 240V charger; prices seem reasonable now.
Thank you both, great forum!

Back