Rear view mirror obstructing my forward view; any idears?

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MGarnett

FIrst time poster, but 18 month owner (of a 12 month old used ED).
So 24 months and 37,000 miles on the clock. Love it, love it, love it. Still feels like the best made EV.
And just started a new job that requires 104 miles round trip per day (max hypermile I have ever managed was 102) so well above realistic range. Luckily I have charger at work so not a problem (and will be adding 24,000 miles per year from now on) so will quickly become a very high milage car. Will be interesting to test reliability (perfect so far)

Anyway reason for posting a question is this.
I partly chose the B-Class above others due to the slightly higher seating position. I like to raise the seat as high as possible to maximise the view (and comfort). Even though I am tallish (5 foot 11 inches), I can still jack up the seat a fair bit without my head hitting the roof but two problems.
1) even with steering wheel set as high as it goes, half of the main speedometer is hidden from view (I have learned to live with this)
2) the rear view mirror in the center of the screen drops down so much it actually obscures a large area in front of me (enough to hide a car or truck if the blind spot alignes perfectly). I'd love to be able to adjust this to be closer to the roof to remove the blind spot completely. I am sure I' still be able to see rear-wards and it would be a lot safer looking forward.

Any ideas how to fix?
My only thought so far is to 3D-print a custom mirror mounting bracket that angles it the way I want rather than it does as supplied.
Does anybody else suffer the same issue or does everyone else lower the seat so forward view is under the rear-view mirror.

Thanks for a great forum.
Mark

P.S. If its not clear what I am trying to say, I can post a drivers point-of-view photo to illustrate what I mean

I am keeping the seat adjusted so I can see the full speedometer and get in and out of the car comfortably. What is the point for sitting so high above the road, if your head is close to the ceiling and you cannot see well?

Be careful with the car seat too high. You don't want to hit your head going over a speed bump. The steering wheel should be adjustable with the lever underneath.

I don't like the Mercedes speedometer either because it'sa little too small to read quickly while driving. I usually switch the trip display to show the current speed in mph right in the middle of the driver's dash display.

MG,

I am about your height so I tried to see what you were talking about and agree that with seat raised high, the rear mirror and thing it is attached to blocks the front right view. You would definitely have to remount the mirror or replace it with another that is mounted on the roof. It also strikes me that if you had to use your sun visor, that would be a problem too.

It does point out one of the great features of our B250e, which is the headroom as well as the lateral and leg room. It is why I chose to re up vs. getting a Ford Focus for a third of the price for my daily urban commute rounds.

MG, trust you will figure out something without taking undue safety risk. Post when you figure it out.

Back