Tinted front windshield?

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffRay

I recently noticed another difference between my new 2017 v my old 2014. The front windshield has a purple tint to it viewed from the outside. From the inside, it looks clear. When I asked the service advisor, he casually said it was a UV coating. I don't mind at all but just found it curious.

Do you have the range package with its heated windshield now and not on your old car? That is probably the difference.

My 2014 has the range package and the heated glass has a purple / pink tinit to it only seen from the outside.

Stig,

You got it right, 2014 wo range plus vs. 2017 w range plus. UV coating baloney then. Thanks for info. How pray tell does one turn on the heated windshield?

I just found this out from MB tech support and the manual. Turn on the Max Defrost button to use the heated windshield. There doesn't seem to be a way to control that feature separately from the blower. The heating layer blocks cell and satellite signals. The area around the rearview mirror is dotted instead and doesn't have that heating layer for highway toll pass transponders (EZ-pass on the East coast) and Mbrace cell support, I think. The left and right sides of that pass-through area are different colors, but I don't know why that is.

Back