Requesting Feedback on MBrace (MB's Onstar equivalent app)

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjwood

The following website attempts to show what mbrace can do for the electric B:
https://app-242.secure.mercedes-benz.com/app/#HomeController/index

Surfing it, I see only climate as remotely adjustable. Other details, such as charge status, are merely for display only. I do not see charge initiation, and more importantly whether range-charging, for those chosing the option, is something that can be remotely activated by a cell phone.

Can anyone with the car, who has downloaded mbrce (3yrs free w/purchase), please review exactly what controls the car allows from a phone. For instance, Onstar's Remote Link allows:
-charge initiation, or over-ride of the peak/off-peak electric rate settings.
-pre-conditioning, or cabin warm-ups/cool-downs
-lock/unlock
-Destination/Nav programming

Thx

I agree that the online info is lacking, and even a search only turned up generally positive reviews of the MBrace system...

And now I can't even find the owner's manual online.... I thought it might have some info in it.

This link used to work for the manual but it gives a 'temporarily unavailable' message. Maybe there was something wrong and they pulled it until they can update it?

I find there are 2 apps: One is mbrace (you get there through owners online at mbusa.com) and that controls vehicle features like remote unlocking, remote locking, geofencing, "send2benz" which is a way to load navi destinations and a vehicle finder. You need to set up an mbrace PIN to access this, and an owners online account. Every new car with mbrace has these same controls, and they are not EV specific.

Then there is a second site (mybclass.mbusa.com) that has controls for the EV stuff: Charge status, range, remote climate control, and settings for notifications and for the app itself. To access this the dealer needs to give you a one-time password so you can set it up. This works for iPhone, iPad and Google Chrome on a computer.

The link above leads to a mockup of the controls. However, it's not clear to me if you can activate the climate control remotely if the car is not charging.

The page reads:

"Climate control is only activated if the vehicle is connected to a charge spot or power socket and the state of charge at departure time is above 35%."

Any clarification would be appreciated. It would be useful to be able to activate the HVAC so long as and until the charge fell to a certain percentage of full.

Bear said:
The link above leads to a mockup of the controls. However, it's not clear to me if you can activate the climate control remotely if the car is not charging.

The page reads:

"Climate control is only activated if the vehicle is connected to a charge spot or power socket and the state of charge at departure time is above 35%."

Any clarification would be appreciated. It would be useful to be able to activate the HVAC so long as and until the charge fell to a certain percentage of full.

Yes you can, I activate the climate control remotely w/o charging, I mean plug to a charger. I am not sure if car will activate the a/c if the battery is lower than 35% when I did it car was over 60%

baysal said:
Then there is a second site (mybclass.mbusa.com) that has controls for the EV stuff: Charge status, range, remote climate control, and settings for notifications and for the app itself. To access this the dealer needs to give you a one-time password so you can set it up. This works for iPhone, iPad and Google Chrome on a computer.

I had to use iPad to initiate the registration. I have a PC with Win7 and Chrome version 33 (whereas their website says "Google Chrome ab Version 22.0") and it didn't work. I don't have iPhone, and I tried different phones, finally I was able to do it via iPad. So now I'm registered and able to login, but for some reason the data is not in sync. In the synchronization status, it says "Last sync has not yet occured". I cannot find any place to contact Tech Support, and I don't think MB dealer is capable of this at this moment. So any help here?

Thanks.

As already noted, if the battery has enough charge the HVAC can definitely be switched on remotely - immediately, or at some time in the future (you choose). I haven't tried it with 35% or less, but it works OK even if not being charged. I use it almost every day, but charge only every few days.

The app was a little quirky for me. I set it up on my iPad, but use it with Win7 and Chrome 26 (office computer. sigh.). I did get it working, not sure how. You do need to have mbrace set up for it to work though. As for Android & Firefox (my fave), I agree. I can't imagine they're not headed that way.

@soetomo: Is mbrace set up? Did you make a "get acquainted" call by pressing the "i" button? If that is good, try forcing a sync by commanding the A/C to do something. Remember the car also has to be in a cell coverage area served by Verizon (I think).

If that's no good, try calling MBUSA's customer center, even if they don't have an immediate answer surely they can hunt down their EV folks to give you a call back. MBUSA.com says 1-800-367-6372, or use their live chat.

baysal said:
@soetomo: Is mbrace set up? Did you make a "get acquainted" call by pressing the "i" button? If that is good, try forcing a sync by commanding the A/C to do something. Remember the car also has to be in a cell coverage area served by Verizon (I think).

If that's no good, try calling MBUSA's customer center, even if they don't have an immediate answer surely they can hunt down their EV folks to give you a call back. MBUSA.com says 1-800-367-6372, or use their live chat.
My embrace has been setup, made the "get acquainted" call etc. Let me try your suggestion, probably when near a good cell coverage (my house is not one of them) and if it doesn't work, let me call them which I'm afraid they might not have a good support :)

Any update?

I have had an instance where it wouldn't sync. I logged out and back in again and that cured it. (I have it set to remember my password for 30 days)

baysal said:
As already noted, if the battery has enough charge the HVAC can definitely be switched on remotely - immediately, or at some time in the future (you choose). I haven't tried it with 35% or less, but it works OK even if not being charged. I use it almost every day, but charge only every few days.

Yes, but are you simply turning it on, or can you also adjust the temperature from your phone? For instance, OnStar allows only the activation of climate control, not the setting. Tesla allows both, remotely.

Back