Walked to car; lights on; door unlocked; battery at 0%

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffRay

The car has been acting funny but last night, I made sure to wait till lights were off before I left car. This morning, the lights were on and the door was unlocked. Worse, the dash indicator said 0% and Battery Reserve indicator was on.

I am a older so first reaction was not panic but was dismay. Did I leave the car on? No I did not. How could the battery drain from 78% overnight? Well, if car was on, then the heater would have drained the battery over 13 hours. Do I leave the car, call for tow, what to do?

So here is the deal. If the lights are on, there is some juice left in reserve battery even though indicator says zero. I decided to try for the nearby garage with a charger which was only 200 yards away. Relief as I rolled in and begged the attendant to charge my car today (They have Tesla daily customers). It is now plugged in but strangely, only sucking juice in at a low 3.5 KwH rate. It is a new charger and the attendant did not know much about it so I will check to see what setting the ClipperCreek unit was set at. I had to dash off to get my wife's car to take the kids to school. My phone chirped to tell me it was charging, what rate, and when done. Will take 10.5 hours to go from 0 to 100 per app.

DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME BUT OUR UNIT WILL GO A LITTLE FURTHER EVEN AT ZERO. My previous low was 1% back in 2015.

So perhaps this one was a user error problem. I do remember running out to the car, opening the door, and checking to see if I left something in the car. I did not sit in the car or press the starter. Nevertheless, in the a.m. the other day, the car was warm, the doors open, and the outside lights on. I guess it is possible that I left it on overnight in 30 degree temps and thereby draining the batteries.

Will bring back to dealer next week and have them check the onboard computer to divine what actually happened.

Back