Breakdown

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fourgables

Hi I bought a 250 electric in May 40.3% discount. Paid for range extender showed 115 miles range on pick up. Mileage has dropped last charge was 55 miles. Even on range extender 80 miles top. To day it stopped. Break down truck never been to electric car before. Dropped off with Mercedes Leeds. Had it booked in anyway to see what was mileage problem. Will update

Fourgables,

Please note that there have been a few issues with the motor for a couple of owners/leasees in the U.S. Not many. In each case, after going back and forth with Germany, it was agreed to replace the motor under warranty. Many of these had to do with unusual noise but others because it stopped like yours. There are not too many of these cars so maybe Leeds will not really know what to do but be sure you read through our topics and arm yourself. Don't let them tell you they "fixed" it and have you discover a few days later the same problem. One owner was told this and had it stop at speed on the motorways while spouse was driving. Not good. I doubt it is your not having the latest software if you bought a new 2017 in May.

BTW, I suppose it is colder now where you are so do expect total range to drop as batteries are not as efficient when they are cold. That does not explain a stopped vehicle.

Please do post and we can try to guide you through proper fix.

Jeff, thanks for that. Spoke to them today technician in discussions with Mercedes. Will read up and keep you all posted as I am not tec minded your assistance much appreciated. David

Also, did they check the 12V battery? If it's weak, the car will not function. Could be as simple as that.

The breakdown truck checked the battery.

Latest word today they are in discussions with Mercedes Germany and will have info in a day or 2

Will keep you posted

Thank you

Oh, sounds like it is not going to be a simple fix. Check your warranty card to be sure that everything is covered vis-a-vis an engine problem. It has been covered here in the US.

Good luck sir.

Garage just rang car needs new “electric drive train” which is on back order so likely to be a few more weeks off the road. Before it broke down mileage range was dropping down to 55. Hopefully this will also be resolved.

F,

Was wondering what happened. Thanks for post. Yes, this was the fix a couple of others went through in the US. It did resolve their issues. In the meantime, is it the practice at your Leeds dealership to provide a MB loaner car. It may be specified in your warranty or maybe not.

JeffRay

Thank you for that. Yes loan car was not an issue; C class diesel saloon which is a nice but different driving experience.
They phoned today fix to be done next week will keep you advised.

David

My car is in the body shop(do not ask, I was stupid) and I have a gasser C300 loaner. The engine shuts down at stop lights but it seems to work fine.

Glenn, yes our B-Class is not for drag racing in Southern California.

Actually, I mention drag racing because over vacation while stuck inside for a couple of days I stumbled on an Amazon show called Grand Tour. All about cars and more cars. Watched a few then fell asleep.

Not looking good

Had car for 27 days - repair not yet commenced. Have told them to keep it till they can fix and sort our range issue - off to South Africa to avoid the cold.

Has any one had their car exchanged on basis it comes no where near predicted mileage - looking at 55 Miles for mine?

David

Letter to Garage copy Mercedes Uk

Any advice?

Good Morning Mark & Olivia

I have just checked on the Mercedes App. Our car has not moved is locked and as far as I can see no work has started despite reassurance this would be done Friday. You have had the car for 27 days – I realise that Christmas & New Year were in the middle but still ample time to repair the car and then commence on sorting out the range issue.

I would ask that you email to advise action you are taking.

I am in discussions with US car owners

http://www.mybclasselectricdrive.com

I understand that a number of these cars have been replaced.

I wish you to know that I regard the current mileage of 55 totally unrealistic and sound reasons for wanting a refund.

If car range can be sorted happy to keep as it, as is a great car.

I will call after receipt of your email to discuss hire car return

Thank you

David

F,

Good direct letter. They do need to work diligently to replace your motor as they have done for others. This may indeed be the cause of poor mileage. Mileage in that range could be due to mechanical problem, aggressive driving, and cold weather. From what you said, it seems to be the first item. It takes time to get the parts and instructions from MB Germany, once Leeds gets it, it is pretty fast.

This should end well. Enjoy the warm weather down south.

Jeff

Thanks for the message

Well...

The car was off the road for 11 weeks

It was Christmas and New Year so that slowed things down a bit. They replaced the drive train apparently there was a problem with the cooling , I know seems rather dramatic.
This did not work so they fitted a completely new set of batteries. and this got it going. In compensation they have extended the warrenty from 2 to 3 years and this is transferable to a new owner.

I have not yet received a full report from Mercedes.

So quite an expense for them. Problem is the garage has very little experience of the model and just followed what Germany said or so it seemed.

To assist with mileage in the cold weather - I know not New York cold they suggest to pre-warm the car / batteries whilst it is still plugged into the mains so as not to drain battery range.

We seem to be getting about 70 mile range not great but as most trips are 40-50 miles we can cope

So whilst in the garage they loaned us a fancy C Class but now the Electric is back it is a much better / smoother drive.

I am hoping there are no more issues from reading the forum messages it does not seem to be an unreliable car - looks like we were unlucky.

As you can expected I have had to suffer many jokes from the ICE car owner "friends"

Appreciate the follow up and I will advise once report is with me.

Hope are things with you in the New York Cold. They are predicting below freezing weather for us next week

Regards

David

PS yes it is 4 in the morning here -

I really like the car but since it is discontuned parts take a while. It took 2 months to fix my 2017 B250e. Everything had to come from Germany. I guess that is the trade off of having a car with no local support.

Good thing I had a dealer loaner after the rental money ran out.

Fourgables,

Good to hear you have yours back. An extended warranty and no cost repair plus loaner is the least they could do.

Very true that all major repairs are directed by Germany as no dealer will know what to do. It does take longer but better this way than some quick fix by local dealer.

Do read the posts about cold weather practices. No question that warming the car while plugged in will keep range up in the winter. My range drops to 30+ miles or 1.2+ kWm in sub-freezing overnight temperatures as I park on the street. Above 40F, the range is around 65 or 2-3 kWm. For rest of year, the same as you all, up to 95 depending on driving conditions.

Enjoy the ride!

Back