Without restarting, consult workshop

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And now my turn!

2015 B-class w/ 21000 miles. Got this message about 6 months ago and the 12V battery was completely drained. Took it to the dealership, they replaced what they called the charger (inverter?) and it was back working. This time around they are being a little more careful and have had it in the dealership for over a week now without any progress. Wish me luck.

-Michael

2014/ over 38,000 miles
Malfunction visit workshop appeared about two weeks ago. Car drives and charges fine. Charge only goes up to about 96% but other than that it drives fine. Range is lower than usual but it's the winter.
Dropped it off at the dealer on Monday and they tell me they won't know what's wrong until Friday. No loaner available, so they have me in a rental but I'm out of pocket because the rental agency didn't have a car in the price range the dealer had contracted with them for, so was forced to upgrade.
Went by to pick up some things from the car and saw that it's not in the service bay but parked and sitting there. I'm guessing they are waiting for instructions and have no clue what to do with it.

Gleearch,

Yes, you are correct. Consistent with others, better to not let them monkey around but to consult Germany. My dealer told me that there were only a couple of trained techs for our car. Translation, we don't know.

Be sure to read up on this topic and press to talk to the actual tech vs. service advisor unless he/she has been with you for many years. Don't know if yours is a lease or purchase but if the latter, wouldn't it be great if they replaced the motor under warranty?

Update.
After a week of sitting in the dealer repair bay, they replaced the DU under warranty. The replacement itself seemed to take all of one day and then a couple more for them to test drive it. I was glad to get the car back. Now it drives fine with no issues. No slight reverse before moving forward from a dead stop, no choking and then jerking forward, no loud snap sounds when driving on the freeway, etc.

They also took care of the additional charge on the rental because it took them a good long time with no update to me even though I was texting everyday asking for an update.

At least it was resolved for me. Makes me wonder how many are going to have this issue later when their warranties expire. Plus with the car discontinued, how many additional DUs will they continue to carry.

gleearch,

You are 100% right. No one will be pleased if this problem crops up after warranty expires or if parts are no longer available. One would think that Mercedes will find a way to support the B250e but I think their other option is to trade owner of failed DU car into another Mercedes electric when available. If out of warranty, not sure what I would do other than try to get an insurance check or write it off as a tax loss.

Glad to hear that they replaced DU for you and that you have your B250e back. Enjoy the ride.

Our turn. 2015 with 46K miles. Yesterday my wife got a low pressure indications and immediately got this message as well. Still under warranty! I think it's MB's way of getting you to buy tires from them! Kidding, hopefully the it's not a DU replacement. Wish me luck!

It's been two weeks and very little on the status of the car. Local Benz dealer performs a number of tests per Germany's request, and sends the data back home. Most interesting item thus far is finding coolant inside the motor, just a little bit. Still curious to see what MB does. We have been enjoying the loaner GLC300, better than the GLA we had last time.

After pressing the service adviser...They are sending data to MBUSA, and are awaiting approval for replacement of the DU, at the cost of $15k. For those who had the replacement, any of them failed? Trying to determine the value of this car as it approaches end of warranty. My wife loves this car, which doesn't make things easier. Just happy that this happened with 47k miles, and not 51k.

Wow all these posts are making me reconsider a used b250e. Does MB offer an extended warranty comparable to the toyota platinum for the RAV4EV? Seems like a great car but am leery of DU replacement cost out of warranty.

These posts are equivalent to the smoking wheel. Most have no problems but a warranty is important. On my 2014 a charger coolant pump died and it was replaced three days later . I really can not fault the dealer since they did give me a loaner. If it was not in warranty it would have cost well over a thousand. on warranty invoices they never list the costs.

Jason,

It is always a risk with new technology that version one will experience its teething problems. That is why even though I am an early tech adopter, I chose to lease initially for 3 years and reupped for another 2 years so I could return the car to the dealer. When I was considering buying my 3 year old 2014, I was only willing to shell out $14K with remaining warranty. The dealer did not bite at that price although I saw it listed used on cargurus.com for $18K so it likely went at auction for my offered price.

A long way of saying that even though the risk is low and the car is very nice, gotta be wary of version one issues like the ones in these posts.

I will still lease another electric in 2020 as a result.

No status update. It has been 3 weeks since the car went into the shop, and still no approval from MBUSA to replace the Drive Unit. Don't understand the delay. Really starting to miss the car. Gas stations suck once you don't have to go! This car was an experiment for us, as we purchased it used at 38% of the sticker price with 2years and 12Kmiles of warranty. We put 8k miles on the car in 6mos, where it performed flawlessly up to this point.

JeffRay said:
Jason,

It is always a risk with new technology that version one will experience its teething problems. That is why even though I am an early tech adopter, I chose to lease initially for 3 years and reupped for another 2 years so I could return the car to the dealer. When I was considering buying my 3 year old 2014, I was only willing to shell out $14K with remaining warranty. The dealer did not bite at that price although I saw it listed used on cargurus.com for $18K so it likely went at auction for my offered price.

A long way of saying that even though the risk is low and the car is very nice, gotta be wary of version one issues like the ones in these posts.

I will still lease another electric in 2020 as a result.

You are dealing with two companies. Mercedes has the main responsibility but the entire drive train is from Tesla. The whole thing takes a while.

At least it is a drive train part. To fix my screw up with the suspension took 2 months. Since the car is discontinued parts are slow and most come from Germany. The Tesla motor should be sooner.

I had a Mercede s loaner but I had to buy gas! For two months I did not charge my car and my 2 month bill was around $100 less. Premium was $3.56 here and the loaner required it. I used just over sixty dollars in gas.

Time for an update. The car has been in the shop for 6 weeks now. Germany said that they would replace DC/DC converter, which the dealer did this week. The car threw the same code. MBUSA isn't recommending replacing the drive unit. The dealer is convinced that this would solve the problem. Tesla states that its acceptable to have coolant in the motor. Our dealer has done an adequate job informing us, and running the tests that corporate MB requires. My question to the forum, is to how to submit a formal complaint to MB/MBUSA? I filled out some page online last night but I'm not hopeful. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

barcaec,

Sorry to hear this. I recommend a multiple touch approach. I would protest to your dealer and ask them to push it up the line for you. I would not drive the car but leave it at dealer. You filled out the online form, but you should update it. As before, I would google and find out names and corporate addresses for US CEO and Germany CEO and write them. MB has a public board so you can also write their directors who will dutifully hand over your letter to the executive secretary to deal with.

What state are you in and do they have a Consumer Protection agency who you should copy on all of your correspondence.

Goal is to have them replace the drive unit which has failed on a number of our members units, particularly since you dealer thinks so.

JeffRay,

Thanks for the direction. I'm in Texas, which doesn't have stellar consumer protections laws. I purchased the car used last Sept from California.

Back