B-Class Electric Drive Forum

It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MB/Tesla Motor replaced
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:09 pm 

Well, My 2014 B-Class is on its 3rd motor in only 40,000 miles.

1st motor replacement was caused by the motor being flooded by coolant fluid.
The interesting part is that the vehicle continued to run.
The only problem I noticed was a very slight hesitation when beginning to accelerate, otherwise no other issues.
I took my car in when the service immediately message appeared. After discovering the fluid in the motor, MB decided to replace it.

2nd motor was replaced after only 1500 miles for the same reason. MB still has no idea what is causing this problem.
MB currently has their engineers working on it.

Has anyone had any similar issues?

Post subject: Re: MB/Tesla Motor replaced
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:01 pm 

I have a 2014 B class too.
Replaced drive unit for the first time in March 15, 2018. Initial report states coolant in drive unit but the message was truncated. The fix was to replace the drive unit.

Second drive unit replaced October 3rd, 2018. This was an emergency replacement because the car shut down while we were driving. Luckily it did not occur on the freeway because the car went from moving to dead in less than 30 seconds. I was lucky enough to have just enough momentum to stop dead in a left turn lane at the intersection. Display had a red warning about malfunction and not to restart the car.
The warranty had just expired but MB was good enough to replace the DU on warranty.

I have no idea if the DU will go out on me again. I feel that this should be a recall and MB should replace or buy back the cars suffering multiple DU failures. It now makes me a little nervous to be driving on the freeway but this isn't exactly a disposable car.

Have you contacted MB about possible lemon law?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:49 pm 

Barely had my car for a week and now I have the Malfunction Visit Workshop (10/10/2018) display again while driving up a hill on the way home.
Since I didn't want to go through a second abrupt stall in the freeway, I had the car towed to the dealership. Under diagnostics right now but I'm not optimistic that they actually resolved the problem.

It would be unbelievable if they had to replace the DU three times in the same year. Waiting to hear back.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:54 am 

This really sucks, pardon my language. Best of luck to you. You should get a free loaner and ask your insurance company what they are prepared to do if the car is a writeoff. Sorry to bring up this bad scenario. Obviously hope they fix it properly this time.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:18 am 

I filed a claim with BBB Autoline and contacted MB and after the initial response emailed the VP of Customer Service.
I'll update here once this is or isn't resolved.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:58 am 

GA,

Absolutely, march up the line at MB. You might want to include their head of North America which I think is in NJ. Sorry I don't have his contact info. There are two things wrong here (at least), first, they must stand behind all their cars, not some of their cars and second, faulty service on discontinued model.

FYI, here is what they did do for me back in 2003. I bought a new E500 with dealer installed navigation system but received a car without it while they said they were waiting for parts from Germany. OK. Six months later, my salesman called me to say that the option had to be installed only at the factory. He offered me the option money back OR A NEW CAR WITH FACTORY INSTALLED NAVIGATION. I turned in my car with 5K miles on it and received my new one, no money exchanged.

The moral of that story is that if they can't fix yours, they should locate and get you a new or relatively new 2017 with an intact warranty, if they can't fix yours.

Safety is the biggest concern for them as the motor crapping out on the highway is their nightmare scenario. One member's wife had the motor zonk out on the highway but safely pulled over. She was shaken. I had mine crap out going 30 mph in the city but was able to pull over. After considering my options, I decided to ignore the message and restarted the car and drove the 2 miles in the slow lane with blinkers on to the dealer. For me, it was the software gliche, not the motor.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:33 pm 

Thanks for the advice. I'll do my best trying to march this up through the system and see if I can get some resolution. I have yet to hear back from MB. My last email was addressed to Christian Treiber, VP Customer Services.
If I gain no traction, then I'll contact Dietmar Exler, CEO.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:16 am 

GA,

Cargurus.com indicates two new 2017s in white on the east coast.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:14 pm 

Was contacted by Chris an Executive Referral Manager. He indicated that they would not replace my car but I could buy any available 2017 B class if I wanted to. They will take 4-6 weeks to review the car and if it qualifies will have a third party company appraise the car and make an offer to buyback if it qualifies.
He indicated that if the car was repaired, within this time frame, I could continue to drive it while they work out the buyback, if it qualifies. I reminded him that if the catastrophic failure where the car stalled out in the intersection was to happen on a freeway, the results could be very bad. He noted that he would place a note to the team to try to expedite but could not guarantee that it would happen.

Doesn't sound very promising.

I did file a complaint with the NHTSA.
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleCo ... ndex.xhtml

I figure if others are facing similar issues, it would be good to get a recall set up if MB does not step up to the plate. It took four years for these issues to show up near the end of my warranty, and since the cars remain essentially the same through the 2017 models, we may expect to see others model years show the same issues as the end of their warranties come up. I hope not, for everyone else but best be prepared.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:12 am 

GA,

I think they can and will do better. Keep up the pressure and definitely let them know that you are aware of others having the same safety problem. Good luck.