Fast charging Q - B Class UK

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yorkshirejames

Hi Guys,

Just getting my B Class today, 13K miles. White. Electric Art.

I read a lot around several websites and forums, but I can't seem the get the hang of it:

- Will the charger given with the car charge at the max capacity the car can on commercial charger (ie: Shopping Center)? Or do I need to buy another one? I am expecting this charger to charge the car in 3-4H.

- Does anyone know of somebody in UK which can/has install the fast charger available at Quickchargepower (JdeMO for the Mercedes B-Class ED and B250e)? Or what sort of garage or company should I be looking for to help me with this?

- If I would get the fast charger installed, what charger will I need to buy? CHAdeMO?

- If somebody already fitted this fast charger to their B250E, did they get into any trouble when servicing the car?

- Is it really bad to charge with fast charger?

There is loads of fast charging station at local food shops like Aldi and Lidl, looking forward to my free Europe Tour.

Thanks a lot for all your answers!

YJ,

Welcome. Others will chime in as I do not have a home charger and live in US. There are a couple of UK members. I just use available public chargers but am jealous of those who have installed charger at home or work.

First, you all are on 220v so I don't know how this affects our answers from the US.

- the typical charger that comes with cars in US have a US plug and only charges at 110v or 1.2 KwH, so a full charge takes 18+ hours. Not sure what your provided charger can do. Hopefully, 220v. If so, then full charge time will be as you said, 4-5 hours.

- any licensed electrician can install.

- depends on ability to use 220v supply.

- no known issues using home charger in US.

- others can opine, dunno.

Yes, when I visited UK on holiday, was impressed with roll out of charging stations. Even the London black taxis are to be all electric. Depending on your driving needs, perhaps you, like me, can get along without putting in a home charger. An 8 hour overnight charge using provided charger could work assuming it works on 220v (BIG QUESTION). You must have a dedicated line though or nothing else running overnight.

Enjoy the ride.

Quick Charge Power's Chademo unit has been available for the RAV4 for quite some time. Some dealers work around it and some require it removed. It is up to the individual dealer.

Quick charge has announced the availability of units for the B since the drive train is similar and the protocol is the same. The cost is 3K plus installation.

US L2 EVSEs use only a single phase. They would work in Europe as long as the phase has enough power. We do not combine power from several phases. I charged my Leaf at work using a single 208VAC phase

This forum is US and Canada based and there is not a lot of overseas members..

YJ,

There are two UK members so best to private message them in order to get their advice as they might not be perusing forum regularly.

JeffRay said:
YJ,

There are two UK members so best to private message them in order to get their advice as they might not be perusing forum regularly.

Thanks for the advice.

GlennD said:
Quick Charge Power's Chademo unit has been available for the RAV4 for quite some time. Some dealers work around it and some require it removed. It is up to the individual dealer.

Quick charge has announced the availability of units for the B since the drive train is similar and the protocol is the same. The cost is 3K plus installation.

US L2 EVSEs use only a single phase. They would work in Europe as long as the phase has enough power. We do not combine power from several phases. I charged my Leaf at work using a single 208VAC phase

I thought it was $1500?

Thanks for the information.

yorkshirejames said:
JeffRay said:
YJ,

Thanks for the advice.

GlennD said:

I thought it was $1500?

Early RAV4 owners on pre order status were 2K, Currently production models are 3K. It has never been less than 2K,

For my needs the price does not matter, L2 suits me just fine. I have no need or desire for L3, I recently did my A service at 3700 miles. It was strictly by time.
Thanks for the information.

Thanks Glenn!

I looked on the website for the 1500 here:

https://shop.quickchargepower.com/JdeMO-for-the-Mercedes-B-Class-ED-and-B250e-JdeMObclassED.htm

Thanks

I am happy to report that we performed the first DC fast charge on the 2014-2018 Mercedes B-Class ED / B250e.

We will be offering kits called “JdeMO” that allow your car to recharge in 30-45 minutes, using 18,000 public CHAdeMO station worldwide.

Specifications:

40kW charge rate
125 amps @ 354 volts maximum
124 miles added per hour charging
200 km added per hour charging

Available for shipping January 2019. Place to deposit here:

https://shop.quickchargepower.com/JdeMO-for-the-Mercedes-B-Class-ED-and-B250e-JdeMObclassED.htm

Bear in mind that Tony is an optimist person. He always comes through in the end but he announces stuff prematurely. Just be prepared to wait.

GlennD said:
Bear in mind that Tony is an optimist person. He always comes through in the end but he announces stuff prematurely. Just be prepared to wait.

Glenn, I’m not the only person working on this project! Come on down and visit us sometime at our 6700 square foot facility in Southern California.

We have some other folks involved in this project:

1. Leighton - design and engineering
2. Jennifer - customer service, shipping
3. Mark - assembly, warehouse
4. Kyle - assembly (3rd year engineer student)
5. Alex - design, engineer intern
6. Natalie - Shop Manager
7. Angelina - Office Manager
8. Tony - founder and CEO, chief product architect
9. Max - customer service, shipping, receiving, inventory
10. Greg - software design, PCB design
11. Thomas - chief engineer
12. Jon - design and engineering

We also have a long list of vendors and suppliers involved that we have been working with for years.

We have delivered about $1 million worth of JdeMO equipment alone for the Tesla Roadster and Toyota RAV4 EV. We are a full service Electric Vehicle (EV) related business, primarily devoted to EV charging issues. I think we know how to deliver product !!!

We will be following the following timeline for JdeMO for the Mercedes B-Class ED:

Oct - Draft of various manuals begins

Oct - Dec - Testing prototypes using equipment based on our 300 successful JdeMO installations worldwide to date with Toyota RAV4 EV and Tesla Roadster

Oct - Finalizing hardware design. Pencils down on Oct 31.

Oct - Unique hardware parts with long lead times ordered for (50) sets of hardware

Oct - (100) JdeMO v3.0 PCBs ordered, (50) configured for Mercedes. Delivery by Dec 15, 2018

Nov - 50 sets of Mercedes hardware pieces cut with waterjet

Dec - Hardware fabrication

Dec - Finalize software - frozen by Dec 15

Jan - Powder coating of fabrications

Jan - Final - Assembly Manual, Installation Manual, Operations Manual, Troubelshooting Guide, Mercedes Dealership Handling Supplement

Jan - Laser etching / decals / markings

Jan - Packaging materials on hand

Jan - Final testing, packaging, shipping to deposit holders of up to (50) units

Jan - Unique hardware parts with long lead times ordered for next (50) sets of hardware

Feb - Next 50 sets of Mercedes hardware pieces cut with waterjet

Mar - Inventory established for regular sales with an additional (50) units

Dear Mercedes-Benz B-Class ED / B250e owner,

JdeMO will allow your car to recharge in 30-45 minutes (typically during a lunch or coffee stop), using over 22,600 fast charge stations worldwide. The same plug is used on EVERY continent (well, except Antarctica ;-)

We have updated our website to feature the purchase of JdeMO for the Mercedes-Benz B-Class ED / B250e. If you have already given us a deposit, we will be following up soon to finalize your purchase.

If you purchase now, you will be one of the first in your area to have this unique product.

Shipments begin in January 2019 for those who have already paid of have a deposit. NOTE: The website will show "backordered" until about March 2018, due to demand; it's OK to order!!!

If you are tired of driving your Mercedes with:

* Excessive charge times and wasted hours
* Being limited to a short range commuter car
* Having access to only slow charging at J1772 / Type 2 stations
* Tethered to your home or work charging location
* Prohibited from taking a road trip
* No charging choices

... then JdeMO may be for you! It will also increase the value of your vehicle, like it already has for both the Toyota RAV4 EV and the Tesla Roadster. Enjoy the freedom of fast charging now and know that you may recoup much of your investment when it's time to sell your car. It will probably make the car easier to sell, too!

JdeMO is easy to install for a professional mechanic / engineer / technician, and should also be relatively easy for most "back yard" auto hobbyist, too. We suggest that 2 to 4 hours should be all that is needed for a professional with High Voltage safety training for Electric Vehicles. We recommend a vehicle lift for the installation.

JdeMO uses over 22,600 CHAdeMO fast charge stations all over the world (with over 7900 in Europe, and over 2900 in North America). CHAdeMO is the one and only world standard, outnumbering its regional competitors by a substantial margin on EVERY continent that is competes. In addtion, CHAdeMO stations have the same plug on every continent. And finally, CHAdeMO is now approved at up to 400kW (however, virtually all stations are currently limited to 25kW, 50kW, or 100kW).

You can find charge stations using:

www.PlugShare.com (just filter for CHAdeMO only)

http://www.chademo.com/about-us/fast-charger-maps/

If you purchase now, you will be one of the first to receive your JdeMO kit when they start shipping in January 2019. Please make your purchase now at the following link, and don't forget to use your discount code as a thank you for being an early adopter of this valuable technology!

Back