yorkshirejames
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:21 pm

Fast charging Q - B Class UK

Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:00 am

Hi Guys,

Just getting my B Class today, 13K miles. White. Electric Art.

I read a lot around several websites and forums, but I can't seem the get the hang of it:

- Will the charger given with the car charge at the max capacity the car can on commercial charger (ie: Shopping Center)? Or do I need to buy another one? I am expecting this charger to charge the car in 3-4H.

- Does anyone know of somebody in UK which can/has install the fast charger available at Quickchargepower (JdeMO for the Mercedes B-Class ED and B250e)? Or what sort of garage or company should I be looking for to help me with this?

- If I would get the fast charger installed, what charger will I need to buy? CHAdeMO?

- If somebody already fitted this fast charger to their B250E, did they get into any trouble when servicing the car?

- Is it really bad to charge with fast charger?

There is loads of fast charging station at local food shops like Aldi and Lidl, looking forward to my free Europe Tour.

Thanks a lot for all your answers!

JeffRay
Posts: 833
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:12 am

Re: Fast charging Q - B Class UK

Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:04 am

YJ,

Welcome. Others will chime in as I do not have a home charger and live in US. There are a couple of UK members. I just use available public chargers but am jealous of those who have installed charger at home or work.

First, you all are on 220v so I don't know how this affects our answers from the US.

- the typical charger that comes with cars in US have a US plug and only charges at 110v or 1.2 KwH, so a full charge takes 18+ hours. Not sure what your provided charger can do. Hopefully, 220v. If so, then full charge time will be as you said, 4-5 hours.

- any licensed electrician can install.

- depends on ability to use 220v supply.

- no known issues using home charger in US.

- others can opine, dunno.

Yes, when I visited UK on holiday, was impressed with roll out of charging stations. Even the London black taxis are to be all electric. Depending on your driving needs, perhaps you, like me, can get along without putting in a home charger. An 8 hour overnight charge using provided charger could work assuming it works on 220v (BIG QUESTION). You must have a dedicated line though or nothing else running overnight.

Enjoy the ride.
Jeff in NYC
MB '17 B250e; MB '06 E500W; MB '81 380SL

GlennD
Posts: 465
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:26 pm

Re: Fast charging Q - B Class UK

Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:58 am

Quick Charge Power's Chademo unit has been available for the RAV4 for quite some time. Some dealers work around it and some require it removed. It is up to the individual dealer.

Quick charge has announced the availability of units for the B since the drive train is similar and the protocol is the same. The cost is 3K plus installation.

US L2 EVSEs use only a single phase. They would work in Europe as long as the phase has enough power. We do not combine power from several phases. I charged my Leaf at work using a single 208VAC phase

This forum is US and Canada based and there is not a lot of overseas members..
2014 Cirrus White B Class (Totaled).
2016 Urano Gray eGolf.
I loved the VW but it was too hard to get into for my aged body.
I am back to another 2017 Cirrus White B250e.
Blind Spot Assist, Performance 3 and Sahara Beige interier.

JeffRay
Posts: 833
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:12 am

Re: Fast charging Q - B Class UK

Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:21 pm

YJ,

There are two UK members so best to private message them in order to get their advice as they might not be perusing forum regularly.
Jeff in NYC
MB '17 B250e; MB '06 E500W; MB '81 380SL

yorkshirejames
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:21 pm

Re: Fast charging Q - B Class UK

Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:38 am

JeffRay wrote:YJ,

There are two UK members so best to private message them in order to get their advice as they might not be perusing forum regularly.
Thanks for the advice.
GlennD wrote:Quick Charge Power's Chademo unit has been available for the RAV4 for quite some time. Some dealers work around it and some require it removed. It is up to the individual dealer.

Quick charge has announced the availability of units for the B since the drive train is similar and the protocol is the same. The cost is 3K plus installation.

US L2 EVSEs use only a single phase. They would work in Europe as long as the phase has enough power. We do not combine power from several phases. I charged my Leaf at work using a single 208VAC phase

This forum is US and Canada based and there is not a lot of overseas members..
I thought it was $1500?

Thanks for the information.

GlennD
Posts: 465
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:26 pm

Re: Fast charging Q - B Class UK

Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:55 am

yorkshirejames wrote:
JeffRay wrote:YJ,

There are two UK members so best to private message them in order to get their advice as they might not be perusing forum regularly.
Thanks for the advice.
GlennD wrote:Quick Charge Power's Chademo unit has been available for the RAV4 for quite some time. Some dealers work around it and some require it removed. It is up to the individual dealer.

Quick charge has announced the availability of units for the B since the drive train is similar and the protocol is the same. The cost is 3K plus installation.

US L2 EVSEs use only a single phase. They would work in Europe as long as the phase has enough power. We do not combine power from several phases. I charged my Leaf at work using a single 208VAC phase

This forum is US and Canada based and there is not a lot of overseas members..
I thought it was $1500?

Early RAV4 owners on pre order status were 2K, Currently production models are 3K. It has never been less than 2K,

For my needs the price does not matter, L2 suits me just fine. I have no need or desire for L3, I recently did my A service at 3700 miles. It was strictly by time.
Thanks for the information.
2014 Cirrus White B Class (Totaled).
2016 Urano Gray eGolf.
I loved the VW but it was too hard to get into for my aged body.
I am back to another 2017 Cirrus White B250e.
Blind Spot Assist, Performance 3 and Sahara Beige interier.

GlennD
Posts: 465
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:26 pm

Re: Fast charging Q - B Class UK

Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:57 am

Well I screwed up the quote again,
2014 Cirrus White B Class (Totaled).
2016 Urano Gray eGolf.
I loved the VW but it was too hard to get into for my aged body.
I am back to another 2017 Cirrus White B250e.
Blind Spot Assist, Performance 3 and Sahara Beige interier.

yorkshirejames
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:21 pm

Re: Fast charging Q - B Class UK

Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:52 am

Thanks Glenn!

I looked on the website for the 1500 here:

https://shop.quickchargepower.com/JdeMO ... lassED.htm

Thanks

GlennD
Posts: 465
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:26 pm

Re: Fast charging Q - B Class UK

Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:00 pm

As usual I pushed the wrong button. My reply is headed reply
2014 Cirrus White B Class (Totaled).
2016 Urano Gray eGolf.
I loved the VW but it was too hard to get into for my aged body.
I am back to another 2017 Cirrus White B250e.
Blind Spot Assist, Performance 3 and Sahara Beige interier.

TonyWilliams
Posts: 233
Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 12:16 pm

Re: Fast charging Q - B Class UK

Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:20 pm

I am happy to report that we performed the first DC fast charge on the 2014-2018 Mercedes B-Class ED / B250e.

We will be offering kits called “JdeMO” that allow your car to recharge in 30-45 minutes, using 18,000 public CHAdeMO station worldwide.

Specifications:

40kW charge rate
125 amps @ 354 volts maximum
124 miles added per hour charging
200 km added per hour charging

Available for shipping January 2019. Place to deposit here:

https://shop.quickchargepower.com/JdeMO ... lassED.htm

Return to “Modifications and Accessories”