Interesting testing results found about charging, range, etc

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrattie

While googling for detailed battery specs I came across some testing results performed on a 2015 model that make me wish I had the extended range option. But also it's just really good scientifically gathered data.

https://avt.inl.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/fsev/fact2015mercedesbclass.pdf

rrattie,

Thanks for finding and posting. Not having studies physics after high school, I was not able to readily absorb the report. If someone can translate key findings for simple me, that would be great.

I was struck that there were over 3000 cells under our floor. Almost mind bending.

I do not understand some charts. The car is always stopped when charging. Why three columns . Some information is useful but charging, I do not know.

The most interesting things I got out of the report was that the B250e is, as most electrics, the most efficient below 50 MPH. I put the data into a chart:
B250e Speed vs. Efficiency chart
Also, the range at 70 MPH without Range Plus is 85 miles; turn on R+ and it hits 100. Go slower, and you could do over 150 miles at 40 MPH with R+. Of course, these are perfect conditions, a perfectly flat driving surface, closed track, and 72° temps. YMMV.
[edit: replaced embedded image that wasn't working with a link]

This is great information.
It looks like there was a bit of an error during the testing at 60mph. There was only a 2-mile difference between standard and range plus. You can't do very many of these tests on the same day, something must have been different. I think a three test average would be a solution to that, but that would a long time.

150 miles!!! I guess I need to set the cruise to 45 mph on Thursday. :D
Arthur

arthurmartineau said:
This is great information.
It looks like there was a bit of an error during the testing at 60mph. There was only a 2-mile difference between standard and range plus.

Yup, you're right: 110.8 vs. 112.5. Note the footnote at the top of the columns: the Standard test was done at 30ºC, the R+ test, at 16ºC ambient. That's probably a big part of the difference right there; as long as the HVAC was off during both tests, the batteries would be noticeably warmer during the Standard testing.

Back