Is there a onboard Timer on B Class? and the best EV charger

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anukumar14

Hello:

We just bought our B-Class last week. I am currently looking to buy a Level 2 charger for my garage. I like clipper creek (40A) version but they don't have a built in delay timer like Siemens. Does anybody know if there is a Timer on board B-Class that I can use to program the charging time? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Arun

I can't seem to figure this out, either. I set the departure time for 7:00 am, and no matter what time of day I plug in (Level 2 charging) it starts charging immediately. On the iPhone app, in the State of Charge page, if you hit the info button it says "Displays your configured departure time (in timed charging mode) or the time when your vehicle is fully charged (in instant charging mode)". Clearly, the intent here is to have a timed charging mode, but either it doesn't work, or I can't figure out how to turn it on. Has anyone had any luck?

I am interested in this as well. With SDG&E, there is a Time Of Use discount between midnight and 5am. Where do I configure charging to start at midnight? On the charger, or on the cars computer? Other than the Siemens, do any others allow for timed charge?

No, it doesn't seem like there is a built-in timer for delayed charging start. You would have to rely on an EVSE with a programmable timer.

After doing a lot of research and comparison shopping, I decided on an OpenEVSE kit for less than $500. It took me a couple of days to put it together since I made a mistake and had to get a replacement part. You can also pay a little more for a pre-soldered kit (you just wire the parts together and assemble into the housing.

http://store.openevse.com

We had the same problem with the RAV4 EV (it has a timer, just not particularly a good, dependable one).

So, we built a charge cable that can operate an external timer through the proximity circuit (the same button you use to unplug now).

You can put this on an OpenEVSE (or other charge stations) and use the extra communication wires (two 18 gauge, one 20 gauge) for your timer.

We recommend one 18 gauge for pilot signal, then one of the other wires for the proximity pin to the timer you provide, then the third communication wire goes from the timer to the disconnect switch.

Across the timer relay, you insert a 330 ohm resistor. So, the timer relay needs to be closed (bypassing the 330 resistor) for EVSE operation.

To stop the charge, the relay opens on your schedule, adding 330 ohms to the proximity circuit. It's that simple to do.

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JLONG-40-Amp-J1772-extension-cable-JL40A.htm

I am also a bit frustrated about timer not working. Like somebody said, the intent is clearly there to have a timer, based on the available settings for departure time and mobile app. Hopefully it will be fixed with the next flash update.

I have an Aerovironment charger that came with Leaf and it doesn't have the timer. I am going to bed at 10PM and I am missing out on the off-peak electricity rates that kick in at 12AM. Plus there's been couple of times where I've forgotten to plug it in (since I don't want to plug it right after coming home when peak charging rates apply).

Limus

I ended up going to Home Depot and buying a water heater timer (240v 30A), and putting it in-line with the EVSE. Works great, cost me $50 and an hour of my time to install.

It's silly that the departure time feature doesn't work. I spent hours today configuring everything and the multiple cumbersome clunky apps (Mbrace, my b class...). This car was rushed to market before it was ready. My other electric car is so easy to use with a built in timer and one seamless app. If anyone figures this out, please let me know. Thanks

I believe that the departure time setting in the vehicle is intended solely for climate control purposes.
I think that there it makes sense to situate the control the timing of charging, if intended for time of use utility rates, within the piece of the system that is more permanently installed - the EVSE - not the vehicle. Take the vehicle on an overnight trip and it then charges by default when you plug it in, not solely according to your normal routine at home.
Also, if you were Mercedes, and you expected to get the phone call with the complaint that the vehicle didn't charge despite being plugged in, would you rather tell the customer that they neglected to navigate the menus and make the right selections with the steering wheel, or that their EVSE timer may not have been set?

There are clearly two setting in the e cell menu. One to set time of full charge and another to set climate control time and temp. The issue is the time of full charge setting doesn't work both from the car or from the various apps, which are also problematic.

I wonder if you have newer software on your vehicle that has changed the E-cell menu?

Mine is exactly as described on pages 185, 186 of the manual. There indeed 2 entries.

1. Departure Time - where you set one of three timers, and associate a departure time with each timer.
2. Then in same menu (Departure Time) you can select to activate one of the three timers.
3. Remote Climate Control At Departure Time - turns on the climate control, based upon the timer settings in 1-2.

There is no reference in my case to temperatures. Nor is there any indication of time of full charge. Everything on these pages refer to climate control, not charging.

Obviously it's possible that you've got newer firmware that either (a) is faulty, or (b) is a work in progress to departure time based charging?

bcurious said:
I believe that the departure time setting in the vehicle is intended solely for climate control purposes.
I think that there it makes sense to situate the control the timing of charging, if intended for time of use utility rates, within the piece of the system that is more permanently installed - the EVSE - not the vehicle. Take the vehicle on an overnight trip and it then charges by default when you plug it in, not solely according to your normal routine at home.
Also, if you were Mercedes, and you expected to get the phone call with the complaint that the vehicle didn't charge despite being plugged in, would you rather tell the customer that they neglected to navigate the menus and make the right selections with the steering wheel, or that their EVSE timer may not have been set?
I'm not sure I agree with this. You think the whole purpose of the Departure Time is so that it can warm up your seat? If so, I see a few problems with this. How many people leave for work at the same time every day? What about weekends? How long does it take to warm up your seat anyway? Not long. I don't think the slight benefit of warmth is the reason for this.

Now, charging your car for hours at $.49 per kWh versus $.16 kWh is a BIG difference. I agree that a timer should be build into the charger, but how many of them have this feature? Almost none of them.

To me, Departure Time is meant to be set to the last hour of Off Peak energy, so that you charge your car to its fullest and cheapest every day.

Ferdball said:
bcurious said:
I'm not sure I agree with this. You think the whole purpose of the Departure Time is so that it can warm up your seat? If so, I see a few problems with this. How many people leave for work at the same time every day? What about weekends? How long does it take to warm up your seat anyway? Not long. I don't think the slight benefit of warmth is the reason for this.

Now, charging your car for hours at $.49 per kWh versus $.16 kWh is a BIG difference. I agree that a timer should be build into the charger, but how many of them have this feature? Almost none of them.

To me, Departure Time is meant to be set to the last hour of Off Peak energy, so that you charge your car to its fullest and cheapest every day.

I'm in favor of load balancing the demands on the grid via electric vehicle charge cycle timing.
If Mercedes-Benz wanted to create an onboard charge timer, don't you think they'd call the setting "charge time" instead of "departure time?"
Mercedes-Benz delivers the car with an EVSE that takes most of a day or more to charge the vehicle.
If they sold you a higher-output EVSE, don't you think that they would offer one inclusive of timing features?
A $550 Siemens EVSE includes this delayed start time feature, as do others in acceptable price ranges.
I suspect, after reading your dismissal of the import of early climate control activation and your stated location, that you've experienced neither the delay of achieving a safely warm interior climate in a B-Class from below zero Fahrenheit nor the few miles of range that are removed from the battery capacity each time the interior is brought to warm in such conditions. I can share that the experience is neither comforting nor in keeping with what I imagine as the intentions of the M-B experience. As a rough estimate, I'd say that it takes 3-5 times as long as a petroleum-fueled vehicle for the B-Class to bring the cabin up to safely comfortable operating conditions from 0 Fahrenheit. Much better than walking, but I do notice the difference.

For my use, I wouldn't consider it profligate to have the cabin up to 65 or 68 Fahrenheit for an hour and a half while still plugged in at home, in case 3 settings of departure time were not enough to reasonably estimate my departure time. I'd pay $0.49/kw-h for it, too. I believe I'm paying $0.15/kw-h for 100% wind power here.

WD_3CC6_zps61298a5a.jpg

WD_41FB_zps03522da9.jpg

I'm surprised you guys are debating whether scheduled charging was intended. This should settle it for you strict constructionists of user manuals out there. Note the reference by a MB manager to scheduling charging 8 paragraphs down. Enjoy your climate control.

http://www.cnet.com/products/2014-mercedes-benz-b-class-electric-drive/

bcurious said:
I'm in favor of load balancing the demands on the grid via electric vehicle charge cycle timing.
If Mercedes-Benz wanted to create an onboard charge timer, don't you think they'd call the setting "charge time" instead of "departure time?"
Mercedes-Benz delivers the car with an EVSE that takes most of a day or more to charge the vehicle.
If they sold you a higher-output EVSE, don't you think that they would offer one inclusive of timing features?
A $550 Siemens EVSE includes this delayed start time feature, as do others in acceptable price ranges.
I suspect, after reading your dismissal of the import of early climate control activation and your stated location, that you've experienced neither the delay of achieving a safely warm interior climate in a B-Class from below zero Fahrenheit nor the few miles of range that are removed from the battery capacity each time the interior is brought to warm in such conditions. I can share that the experience is neither comforting nor in keeping with what I imagine as the intentions of the M-B experience. As a rough estimate, I'd say that it takes 3-5 times as long as a petroleum-fueled vehicle for the B-Class to bring the cabin up to safely comfortable operating conditions from 0 Fahrenheit. Much better than walking, but I do notice the difference.

For my use, I wouldn't consider it profligate to have the cabin up to 65 or 68 Fahrenheit for an hour and a half while still plugged in at home, in case 3 settings of departure time were not enough to reasonably estimate my departure time. I'd pay $0.49/kw-h for it, too. I believe I'm paying $0.15/kw-h for 100% wind power here.
Okay, so you park your electric car in below zero F and want to warm the cabin. I think you're in the minority.

Nissan sold 30,000 Leaf's and they have charge timers. So does our cousin, the Rav4.

I've set the Departure Time to 5am and it has delay charging. But only a few times. It doesn't work consistently enough, or for some, not at all. So, I don't know what you're trying to show with the screen shots.

Anyway, I think the majority of us want the car to have the capability to charge when its cheap. I don't think its unreasonable to have this feature work.

My current Ford Focus Electric has both features - timed charging and departure time pre-heating - and it's baffling to me why the B-class doesn't (or not functional). Timed charging is obvious; and in winter time, when the garage is freezing, having the car pre-heat itself while still plugged into 220v is not only more comfortable, but also increases the range, because the car doesn't have to heat the cabin when only on battery power.

This, and the lack of keyless entry is a head scratcher. Still debating what to get when my FFE goes off lease in a few months.

Shakattk said:
I'm surprised you guys are debating whether scheduled charging was intended. This should settle it for you strict constructionists of user manuals out there. Note the reference by a MB manager to scheduling charging 8 paragraphs down. Enjoy your climate control.

http://www.cnet.com/products/2014-mercedes-benz-b-class-electric-drive/

Do you mean this part here:
"In a product briefing, Mark Webster, Mercedes-Benz general manager of e-mobility, said owners would get online accounts for their cars, letting them schedule charging and set climate control remotely from a PC, tablet, or smartphone."

That doesn't seem to indicate having such a function selectable via the on-board systems.

I'm not trying to be strict about anything, but I'm trying to see where I might have been promised charge scheduling.
Perhaps they see it, as I do, that it makes more sense to schedule the charging on the device affixed to the locality in which charge costs vary over time.

Ferdball said:
I've set the Departure Time to 5am and it has delay charging. But only a few times. It doesn't work consistently enough, or for some, not at all. So, I don't know what you're trying to show with the screen shots.

Anyway, I think the majority of us want the car to have the capability to charge when its cheap. I don't think its unreasonable to have this feature work.

Is it possible that this occasional delay of charging has been coincidental or due to factors external to the setting of an indicated departure (not charge) time? Have you based your idea of delayed charging on the on-board display of calculated time at 100% charge? Selecting charging delay via departure time seems too illogical to be the M.O. of this car. What if you selected 2am as a departure time and the car held 12am as a universal start time for delayed charging - would it "decide" to charge only for the 2 hours? I agree that it's not unreasonable to have features work, I'm just trying to see where Mercedes-Benz is telling us that this is indeed a feature in the car. It's absent from the manuals and doesn't appear in anything I've read online except on this forum.

It is clear to me that the schedule charging feature doesn't work. I have set it several times in the car to fully charge by 6 am but the car is 100% charged within two hours of plugging in at 7 pm. The app doesn't allow the scheduled departure time to be altered at all. It seems the app and the car's firmware need improvement.

Back