Suspension

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curmudgeon

So now that I'm on my second B-class, and I don't have to turn it in on lease, it's time to think about softening the suspension a bit. (My second one seems a little firmer than my first.) This was brought up a couple years ago, but has anyone done anything along these lines? Would swapping out the shocks/struts for some standard "comfort/touring" level for a normal W246 be a good idea, or would that be insufficient due to the car's weight? How do we determine what's an appropriate level of dampening?

C,

Not exactly on point but to soften the ride, I switched out the run flats for a comfort ride set of Michelins. It rides softer over the bumps and plates in the urban setting. Since we can't go that far, figured if I got a flat, no biggie. Carry an air compressor though just in case.

Definitely. As soon as I got it, I took it to the tire shop to lose the run-flats!

So annoying that BMW, Mercedes, etc keep fitting these things as standard!

C,

Good question as the ride is not exactly sporty or comfort. My bet is that the MB engineers overdid it to account for the extra weight of the batteries net of losing the engine. Would consider asking the MB service dept as doing it elsewhere say to modify to gas B-Class spec might void the warranty.

I don't think our cars have the air suspension as replacing those can be expensive as I had to replace all four of them on my wife's 2006 wagon. Assume you are talking about replacing the things that looks like a spring and/or perhaps a less stiff set of shocks.

I had the 2014 for 35 months and I guess I got used to the suspension so I don't think about it anymore. Good luck with your mod and let us know what you decide to do and the difference.

Back