Can I upgrade the iPod cable to an iPhone connector?

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hallcp

My 2014 car has a connector for Aux. audio input and an old iPod-style connector. (See attached image)

If the image doesn't come through, the sticker on the connector reads:
A0038270404
MI2-IPOD/AUX
22.04.13 / 20364413

Did later models come with a cable compatible with modern iPhones? Could someone share that part number with me?

ipod_sm.jpg

Hallcp,

When you take you car into the shop, ask the parts department. I have an Android and easier to use BT vs AUX, plus the data flows through and the car audio controls work. Not sure what you can play through via this or upgraded connector. Do you have an older iPhone or iPad to test.

In my 2006 EW, I do use the AUX in via a 6 ft long 3.5mm adapter. It plays fine but no data or audio controls via car. You could use the cable you have and simply connect that way of course.

I had thought there was an interface like that, but all I can find is the two cable solution on MBs site. There is a USB connector to the media interface, and then connect a USB cable from the device of your choice. In the 2017 model, there are no aux or media interfaces, so everything is done through USB or Bluetooth. If your device supports either, you're better off going that way for the reasons JeffRay posted above.

https://configurator.mercedes-benz-accessories.com/en-MB/b-class-w242ev-1607/Telematics/Entertainment?cartransporter=car

Just to finish off this thread I bought one of these:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JJQ3QB1/

It works for charging with no errors on the iPhone, but does not add any additional music connectivity.

I also tried to find cables for my 2015 VW EOS, which has a similar plug. I bought 2 or 3 and none of them gave me any new infotainment system access, and only one seems to actually charge.

So you guys are exactly right, just use the USB ports for charging and Bluetooth for audio. The B-class already has a USB port next to the funky media connector, so nothing is gained by a cable. In fact for me, plugging a USB adapter plug into the cigarette lighter makes even more sense because the phone lives out where I can reach it most of the time.

Back