Car just stopped; no warnings, no power

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyWilliams

We were driving the car to the nearby restaurant tonight, and as i pulled into the parking lot, the power just disappeared. Everything looked normal, in Drive, yet nothing happened when I pressed on the go-pedal.

I turned the car off and on, and then it worked and I could park. Hopefully that won't happen again, but I have nothing to base that hope on.

TonyWilliams said:
We were driving the car to the nearby restaurant tonight, and as i pulled into the parking lot, the power just disappeared. Everything looked normal, in Drive, yet nothing happened when I pressed on the go-pedal.

I turned the car off and on, and then it worked and I could park. Hopefully that won't happen again, but I have nothing to base that hope on.
Tony: Regarding your post from last year, of sudden lost of power, did this happen again? If so, how many times? (my 2015 MB B EV stalled over the weekend: http://www.mybclasselectricdrive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=359&p=2906#p2906 )

This is a major issue and Tom has been keeping track of all the B-Class Electric owners who have had this problem.

My car has been in the shop for 9 days waiting for a new drivetrain to be iinstalled.

This is a potentially very dangerous situation as my family and I were on the highway going at 50 mph when my car stalled. I pulled over but there was no shoulder. Cars were going by us at 50 mph.

Very frightening and really unacceptable from Mercedes - but not uncommon to these electric cars - RAV4, Tesla Model S unfortunately.

I sent a note to The U.S. DOT National Highway Traffic Safety Administration about this. They have a website that you can use as well to let them know your issues.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml

I encourage everyone to do so.

aloizi98

aloizi98 said:
This is a major issue and Tom has been keeping track of all the B-Class Electric owners who have had this problem.

My car has been in the shop for 9 days waiting for a new drivetrain to be iinstalled.

This is a potentially very dangerous situation as my family and I were on the highway going at 50 mph when my car stalled. I pulled over but there was no shoulder. Cars were going by us at 50 mph.

Very frightening and really unacceptable from Mercedes - but not uncommon to these electric cars - RAV4, Tesla Model S unfortunately.

I sent a note to The U.S. DOT National Highway Traffic Safety Administration about this. They have a website that you can use as well to let them know your issues.

I encourage everyone to do so.

aloizi98
aloizi98: In my case I was in normal traffic, stopped at a red light, foot on brake, car in "D", and it stalled. My instrument panel lit up, the car stalled, I lost drive. My car did not abruptly shift to neutral as some others have. There were no error messages. I rebooted the car and I was able to drive normally again.

Do you recall what was going on with your instrument cluster when you lost drive? Did your car shift to neutral abruptly? Or was it more like my case, where the instrument panel lit up, and the car stalled and lost drive. I recall your car gave you some error messages, right?

The known RAV EV cases, addressed by Toyota's recall letter, are when it shifts to neutral without warning, different than my.

What's your case exactly? Where you able to tell? Also, what did your service tech tell you? What error codes did he see? Do you think your MB tech has pin pointed your exact issue? or are they guessing?

As to TonyWilliams' Oct 2014 post above, I believe his car is fine now because he still has the car and is happy with it. But I will let Tony give us an official update when he visits this thread.

Nothing with cluster to my recollection just:

While driving, on any road and any speed, the Vehicle goes into neutral and the Stop Switch Engine Off indicator appears. This occurs after the notice above appears. This requires me to pull over to the side of the road, place the Vehicle in park and turn off the ignition. I remove the key, replace it, and then attempt to start the Vehicle again. It may start immediately, or it may take several times turning the key from the on to off to on position before it works again. At times, when it does start, and I put it into reverse or drive from park, it may stall again. Eventually, I am able to place the Vehicle into drive and resume my journey. The Malfunction Visit Workshop display appears soon after and remains.

I was told that i need a new drivetrain, that it arrived, and that they will put it in when the shop foreman can as he is the only one authorized by MBUSA at the dealership. I think they are not guessing as I sent them info on Tesla, Rav4 etc.

I think that helps.

Given the fault of your car is very reproducible, I am sure Mercedes will be able to fix it. Give them a chance to work on it, I suspect you will be fine once the new drivetrain goes in.

Problems that are not easily reproducible are the harder ones to deal with.

There are probably two problems with the car stopping:

1) the issue that I had was probably addressed early on with a firmware update, because my car has not had a repeat. That issue is different than the current issue that is shared with the RAV4 EV, the speed sensor.

2) the speed sensor issue is shared with the Toyota RAV4 EV, and the only way that will get fixed is with repeated reports to the government for a recall.

MAKE THE GOVERNEMNT REPORT IF YOUR CAR HAS A SAFETY DEFECT, LIKE STOPPING!!!

To help facilitate a future recall for the Tesla powered Mercedes Benz B-Class ED, make a report here if your car experienced going into neutral and loss of propulsion power while driving:

You can also phone the Vehicle Safety Hotline: 1-888-327-4236 / Hearing Impaired (TTY): 1-800-424-9153) for assistance. Form Approved: OMB No. 2127-0008; Expires 05/31/2018

You might mention in the report that this appears to be the same issue shared with the Tesla drivetrain in the 2012-2014 Toyota RAV4 EV "loss of speed sensor signal causes vehicle to go into neutral and lose propulsion power".

Back