Charge rate is very slow

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, but that only goes from about 8 to 12 amps. It still takes more than a day to fully charge.

I'm using my washer 10-30 plug right now, and it only takes several hours to charge.

Ferdball said:
Yes, but that only goes from about 4 to 8 amps. It still takes more than a day to fully charge.

I'm using my washer 10-30 plug right now, and it only takes several hours to charge.

You might want to emphasis that you are doing that charge with a JESLA portable 40 amp charge cable, that automatically adjusts to the correct voltage and amperage for the specific plug it's plugged into, up to 250 volts * 40 amps = 10kW (what the Mercedes B-Class ED is capable of).

At that 10kW speed, a typical recharge will only take up to 3 hours.

In the 30 amp electric dryer outlet that you are using with JESLA, that charge time speed is 240 volts * 24 amps = 5.7kW, which will take up to 5 hours for a full charge.

I should also quote for reference.

Ferdball said:
For the included charger:
Yes, but that only goes from about 8 to 12 amps. It still takes more than a day to fully charge.

For the JESLA charger:
I'm using my washer 10-30 plug right now, and it only takes about 5 hours to charge.

Why do they call it a 12A charger but the max is 8A.
Is it pulling ~12A from the wall but only getting ~8A to the car?

Be aware there is also a setting in the instrument cluster for rate of charge, you can set it to Maximum or some lower value. A lower value will limit the charge rate regardless of what is set on the included charger.

GOM Range: This goes off the "since reset" miles per kWh reading (not the "since start"). So if you did not reset that, the number will not change. Reset from new it shows about 82 miles range. My driving style (not conservative) brings the GOM down to about 65 miles at 100% charge, meaning about 2.3 m/kWh. I have had it up to 2.8 m/kWh for a high-80's range. The terrain here doesn't lend itself to more than 3 m/kWh long-term.

Back