What kind of range are you getting?

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ferdball said:
I've only had the car for 9 days, but I just confirmed what the GoM has been telling me all this time. I get 65 miles per charge.

I'm experiencing something similar...never above 75 miles, even after 100% on extended (sp corrected) range charge. (I've not attempted to validate whether the actually achievable range reflects the GoM indication.)

Any new developments from MB ?

75 even in extended range? That's not good.

The dealer told me that there are no trouble codes, and that the system is operating normally. They said maybe it's the conditions that I'm driving in or my driving style. So, they kept my car for three days each on two different occasions, and did nothing. Obviously, I'm disappointed.

Ferball:

Perhaps pathiels "extended" got spellcheck changed to "external". That would be a concern.

Ferdball, wrt your issue, did the dealer test the battery wrt capacity?

Unfortunately, the 70% warranty on the battery means that it could go to 71% as you drive off the lot and then the 80-85 mi range becomes ~60 min but is still "normal".

markbb99 said:
For owners of B class Electric what kind of range are you getting per charge?
If you the extended range option what kind of range are getting when you use the extended range option?
Also how long does it take to charge to full?

Mark

So I did my first drive to Manhattan (New York, NY) this Saturday. Manhattan is known for it's "stop and go" traffic and figured this would be a good measure of range with a combined driving of highway and city driving. I live in Long Island about 25 miles from midtown Manhattan.

I started off with a full charge (Not in extended range mode) and had a relatively light load with my son (40 lbs) and myself (190 lbs). The first 20 miles was mostly highway and the last 5 miles were city. I was stuck in traffic on the Ed Koch (59th street) bridge for about 15 mins. When I monitored my SOC (state of charge) at 50% my odometer read 44 miles. So doing the math, my first trip to the big apple was getting me a range of 88 miles. Please note, I was in "Eco" mode and was not driving aggressive. The whole time I was driving in D(auto) and was trying to "coast" most of the time in stead of braking and accelerating which is very challenging in NY traffic. In NY traffic, you have to be more aggressive and "tailgate" otherwise you will be "cut-off" most of the time.

NOTE: ANY TIME I MENTION "RANGE", I SPECIFICALLY MEAN "HOW FAR THE CAR WENT" OR "HOW FAR IT WILL GO IN PRESCRIBED PARAMETERS", NOT THE "GUESS-O-METER" VALUE, UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED.

I'm getting ready to do a formal range test like the one that I just did for the Kia Soul EV.

http://insideevs.com/author/tony-williams/

Mercedes range so far:

91 miles traveled / 2.9 miles per kWh = 31.34kWh calculated burned

21% remaining on dash

100% - 21% = 79% consumed = 31.34kWh

But Mercedes says its a 36kWh battery, and 79% of that = 28.44kWh

If it's a 33kWh useable, that's 26kWh at 79% (we're getting farther from reality)

It was suggested that Mercedes has invented their own alternate universe of "economy" numbers, whereby the miles per kWh are based on some magic "from the wall" value and not the battery. So, let's say 85% charger efficiency will mean that 2.9 miles per kWh * (1 / 0.85) = 3.24 miles per kWh.

Then, 91 / 3.24 = 28kWh burned

(1 / 79) * 28 = 35.44kWh total available

(1/79) * 91 miles = 115 miles total range

Maybe.

So, there's a whole bunch of numbers that aren't even close.

TonyWilliams said:
...[big snip]...
I fear that until we get the equivalent of LEAFSpy, the numbers will not add up b/c we will only be able to guess what is really going on.

padamson1 said:
TonyWilliams said:
...[big snip]...
I fear that until we get the equivalent of LEAFSpy, the numbers will not add up b/c we will only be able to guess what is really going on.

I don't need a "LEAFspy". We have already cracked the codes for the Toyota Rav4 EV, so I'm extremely confident that its the same stuff for this car (both are Tesla powered).

Once I have that data, things will fall into place quickly.

rdias said:
whwn is going to happen the real test ?

I´m expecting 125 miles....

Well, that's the issue. I don't know how far it will go, and I sort of need that data to start (so I know where to end).

Without extended range and driving at about 3.1-3.2 mpKwh (70/30 freeway/city) I am definitely getting 85 miles of range and probably even more. Yesterday I drove 70 miles and still had 22 miles on GOM and 29% charge left.

Needless to say, I am enjoying extra range comparing to what I had with Nissan Leaf. I loved the Leaf, but after 3 years I was barely getting 50 miles of range.

Limus

Over just the few days I've had this car, I've been seeing 86-87 miles in Eco mode and, surprisingly, 99-100 miles in Sport mode! The EPA range is 87 miles, so the Eco range is expected. The default GOM range shown seems to start around 70-75 miles and slowly changes based on driving history. That GOM range seems to have gone up to around 80 miles now.

If you look at virtually every photo of a dashboard of the MB B-class, you will see a similar low range (50-60 miles with almost full charge). It seems calculating the range based on the percent charge indicator and the number of miles traveled gives numbers more in line with the EPA range or better. My measurements have been at temperatures of 60-80 F. Colder weather should bring that down.

limus said:
Without extended range and driving at about 3.1-3.2 mpKwh (70/30 freeway/city) I am definitely getting 85 miles of range and probably even more. Yesterday I drove 70 miles and still had 22 miles on GOM and 29% charge left.

Needless to say, I am enjoying extra range comparing to what I had with Nissan Leaf. I loved the Leaf, but after 3 years I was barely getting 50 miles of range.

Limus

Congratulations!
That is great

With am in. Maine so would expect a lot less range , can I ask temperature and location of your test?

Back