Calling all 2014-2015 owners

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffRay

So I leased a loaded 2014 and turned it in with about 9K miles. It ended up in FL where it presumably is enjoying the temperate weather patterns (ex-hurricances).

For those of you who own a 2014 or a 2015, how is it going? How many miles have you got accumulated. We mainly see posts when members need help and occasionally hear from satisfied owners. Drop a reply when you get a chance.

Thanks and keep enjoying the ride.

Hi JeffRay,

You are always good at replying to other posts, so I'm happy to return the favor. :)

I'm not entirely sure, but I may just be the only B-owner in the MItten state! :) I purchased an off-lease 2014 Cirrus White (fully load) with 12K miles in March 2018. My 3x/week roundtrip work commute is 64 miles, making the B an ideal EV for my particular situation.

I've had my car in for the annual battery check-up/desiccant change twice, and all I've done maintenance-wise is to buy a set of 4 snow tires (which I put on Metris takeoff steel rims). I've also swapped out the original 12V battery with a XS Power D4700.

Last week the odometer turned 26K. I've thoroughly enjoyed the ride AND the friendly wisdom of this forum.

Keeping my fingers crossed that I'm lucky enough to avoid the 40K motor drive/coolant failure issue others seem to have experienced with their B.

Curt

Hey Curt,

Thanks so much for your reply. So I was wracking my brain, kindof, mitten state, mitten state. Was going to ask you but then saw your signature. You know, first time I have heard that description even though I have been to the Mitten state several times.

Good to hear that you can manage the 64 mile commute in the winter. You must be one of the lucky ones with an indoor garage with a charger to warm up the car before you head off into the winter chilly days to work.

Yep, fingers crossed that you are in the vast majority of cruising through the 40k barrier unscathed.

In January I bought my 2014 from it's first owner with 22k miles. Now has almost 30,000 miles on it. Not much evidence of repairs by the previous owner, but I've had a fair amount done under the original and an extended warranty:

- Navigation went offline, dealer had to install fresh
- Rear struts
- Coolant pump failure
- Loose steering column
- Right side mirror mechanism replaced
- Noisy ventilation fan replaced

Local dealer in Cary, NC has been just super. About 3 months now with no issues. So really the jury is still out on Mercedes for me. I'm used to Toyotas and never had anything fail in much under 100k miles.

But the car has a solid feel, good handling, great visibility, great acceleration, really comfortable, etc. So I'm loving it nonetheless. I would say the average range is 85 miles on a full charge. I have seen as high as 105 indicated, and as low as 62 (really cold weather). So I would say battery degradation has been minimal.

I m pretty happy with this car. I have close to 48,000 miles. Have gone through two sets of Michelin Run Flats. Had a drivers seat fuse go out. The “charge port” door actuator was replaced. The MB dealer broke the plastic battery cover tray underneath and they replaced it new for free. A left front suspension link was replaced all under warranty except for the tires. Replaced the windshield wipers and swapped out the break fluid last year. Lowest maintenance cost I’ve ever had from any car I’ve ever owned.

The NC DMV inspects cars annually. Its passed every muffler test with flying colors. (Have the paperwork to prove it. 😂 )

Cardonman said:
The NC DMV inspects cars annually. Its passed every muffler test with flying colors. (Have the paperwork to prove it. )

Wow, that's a relief! I was wondering how my B250e would do in the mandatory California SMOG test next year... :D

Peter,

Hello all!
Steering wheel started making strange clicking sounds yesterday. This seems so odd as you all know that the car is almost silent. It didn’t seem to bother anything but it became even more annoying. While leaving a parking lot I turned the wheel and heard a snap sound. The battery was a little low so the regen quit working. (I remember it working just fine before even with the battery at less than 25 miles.) Might have to go to the dealer to see what they find. Everything else is working fine. Has anyone had a similar experience? What did you find out? Repair solutions?

Hello all!
Steering wheel started making strange clicking sounds yesterday. This seems so odd as you all know that the car is almost silent. It didn’t seem to bother anything but it became even more annoying. While leaving a parking lot I turned the wheel and heard a snap sound. The battery was a little low so the regen quit working. (I remember it working just fine before even with the battery at less than 25 miles.) Might have to go to the dealer to see what they find. Everything else is working fine. Has anyone had a similar experience? What did you find out? Repair solutions?

Now it seems I can’t access or change the speedometer display. The back arrow isn’t working or the ok button. Strange..,

Cardonman said:
Hello all!
Steering wheel started making strange clicking sounds yesterday. This seems so odd as you all know that the car is almost silent.
Indeed! So quiet "normal" and otherwise unnoticed sounds get my attention.
Cardonman said:
It didn’t seem to bother anything but it became even more annoying. While leaving a parking lot I turned the wheel and heard a snap sound.
On my previous ICE vehicle (2005 Nissan Murano] I had a similar problem. This was caused by a broken "clock spring" in the steering wheel.
Electrical signals for the buttons and stalk switches pass through a ribbon cable that winds and unwinds as the wheel is turned. Hence the name.
If it binds or flexes and the wires/printed traces fail the switches also fail. On some vehicles the multiple switches are digitally sent over a single wire, much like an ethernet or USB connection. So one broken wire kills most or all of the switches.

The "clock spring" is easy to replace, and not too expensive. I got an NOS one from eBay, but had to go to the mechanic as I don't have the right tool to remove the air bag in the steering wheel hub. Best not to mess with those...

Peter,

Peter:
Thank you for your insight. I had it checked today ($150) and you are right!! It is a spring/ring behind the airbag. For another $600 (part/labour) they’ll fix it for me once they get the part.

They had done the Takata recall back in February this year to add an extra ground wire and a contact ring. They claim that it’s simple “wear and tear”. Hmmm!!! I think that’s it for me. Going to the Model 3.

My $.02,
C

Argue that they messed it up when they did the recall work if you have not already done so. This is not wear and tear but a defective part or bad service.

Cardonman said:
I had it checked today ($150) and you are right!! It is a spring/ring behind the airbag. For another $600 (part/labour) they’ll fix it for me once they get the part.

They had done the Takata recall back in February this year to add an extra ground wire and a contact ring. They claim that it’s simple “wear and tear”. Hmmm!!! I think that’s it for me. Going to the Model 3.

I'm with Ray on this one, the part was likely damaged by the prior recall work. The spring is rated for at least 100k miles (My Mirano had north of 150k when it broke)

Was this an MB dealer service work? Was the $150 their flat rate for looking at your vehicle? I think I paid $525 for mine including the part, at a third-party repair shop.

Peter,

With only 35000 miles my 2015 is at the MB dealer service shop after it suddenly stopped at the fast lane of one of Miami's highways.
Bad news: Electric Drive unit broke and needs to be replaced, cost of repair: $8.000.00
I wonder to know how come Mercedes Benz installed cheap Tesla parts without any quality control, I bought this car thinking on the prestige of Mercedes brand. I never imagined Mercedes could build a car for so a short life. :(
Basic guarantee expired three months ago and battery warranty does not cover the electric motor!
Unfortunately, here in South Florida there are not third party service shops that work in these cars that could help to save some money.

Myja01,

Sorry to hear. How long will the replacement motor be under warranty? 90 days or longer? I suppose if I were put n that position, I would have to consider talking to the insurance company about any coverage they might provide. If none, I might pay to replace motor but with warranty. One member has had multiple replacements under warranty. You might contact MBUSA for any assistance they can provide as this is just not normal for any car, EV or ICE.

The book value of a running 2015 is less than $20K I think. I am worried for you that the motor they source to replace yours with will be a remanufactured one as original OEMs may no longer be available from Tesla. Be sure they get a new one to replace yours with.

This is exactly why I am not inclined to buy my 2017 at the end of my lease even though my mleage will only be 10K and motor issues typically show up around 40K based on other posts that I read.

Yes, this does amount to a pretty raw deal. But I think it was very early days in the EV motor business when that motor was created. I don't think anybody meant for it to fail so young.

M-B should definitely look after these cars, but given the way they dumped the phone app it doesn't seem likely.

'jeffRay' has owned a lot of Mercedes, Jeff does M-B ever extend the warranty for a particular issue? Or do they just assume good M-B owners have the extended Warranty?

Charles et al.,

This is new territory for MB so no recent precedents that I can remember. There was the one time that I was delivered a 2004 E500 without a COMAND system that I ordered and paid for. About four months after delivery, I got a call from my salesman who said good news bad news. Bad news was they could not install the COMAND system at the dealer. The good news was I could get a brand new car with the COMAND system installed at the factory. That probably cost MB the drive off price drop of at least 10% or roughly $6K.

In the case of MB ICE cars, they get their customers to buy the extended warranty. The problem here as I understand it (someone correct me if I am wrong) is the the standard extended warranty on the B250e does not cover the motor or the battery. That leaves us MB drivers exposed. This is the basis in which we can point this flaw out and complain to MBUSA. The potential issue with original Tesla motors used in the 2014-2015s is well documented. Plus my guess is that Tesla does not leave their owners hanging. Definitely worth exploring and letting MB know they have to correct this flaw and definitely should not perpetuate this in their upcoming EQ line of electrics.

If this is something we should rally around, I am game even though I am likely to return my 2017 or sell to one of you all (the lease purchase price is $19.8K).

Myja01 said:
With only 35000 miles my 2015 is at the MB dealer service shop after it suddenly stopped at the fast lane of one of Miami's highways.
Bad news: Electric Drive unit broke and needs to be replaced, cost of repair: $8.000.00
I wonder to know how come Mercedes Benz installed cheap Tesla parts without any quality control, I bought this car thinking on the prestige of Mercedes brand. I never imagined Mercedes could build a car for so a short life. :(
Basic guarantee expired three months ago and battery warranty does not cover the electric motor!
Unfortunately, here in South Florida there are not third party service shops that work in these cars that could help to save some money.

Yikes. So sorry to hear that. 35,000 miles is hardly anything :/

Having started looking around for replacement car ideas since my BMW X1 is in the shop for a serious engine issue (See N20 BMW lawsuits) I have been considering a B class since electric seems like a nice way forward.

Hi all:

I wrote a complain to MBUSA but they say they are not aware of this common problem with the B class electric motor, so no way to file a claim. The MB Executive Referral Manager insists motor is made by MB, not a Tesla motor.

Nothing I can do, just pay and cross fingers that remanufactured motor will survive at least another 30000 miles .

Good luck to you,

Talk about insulting our intelligence. It is a known fact that these cars use Tesla made motors. Either the Manager is an idiot or lying. If you got their name, suggest that you have a lawyer friend send a not so friendly letter pointing out his error by referencing MB statements, Toyota RAV4 issues, and Tesla motor issues. While not pervasive by any means, to deny that they sourced a part that has developed issues and to take no responsibility when MB has a reputation for ICE cars that last a lifetime is ludicrous. Actually, think the next letter be addressed to the head of MB in Germany.

There are a few hundred members of this forum and more in another forum. If you get the facts down in a draft letter, maybe we can get you some support from members.

Got my 2014 B-Class white, full trim, w/battery extender off lease with 10K miles and been happy these past 4+ years. Have 52K miles on it and only had to replace a battery filter once (under warranty) and get snow tires. Looks like I will have to change the 12V battery now as MN winter sets in. Last year it gave me a couple of warnings when temps were at 12F. Been looking at the XS Power D4700 battery but terminals don't match. Still got a couple of months to figure it out. Happy driving all.

Back