3 Days 130 miles Motor needs to be Replaced

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElectroNOVA

Leased my B Electric last Saturday. The second time driving it to work I hear a seizing noise then a grinding sound when I accelerate or decelerate. I immediately press the service button and have the car towed back to the dealership. Turns out there's a manufacturing defect in the motor and it needs to be replaced. They say it'll be a week and a half before the new motor arrives and gets installed.

Mercedes's reacted quickly, they are covering the 2015 C 300 rental and of course all the repairs.

I just wanted to let the community know and see if anyone had a similar problem outside of the "152 mile Service engine light" thread.

Sorry to hear that, brand new car and already broken. But you are fine and sounds like MB stepped up to the plate. As you know, the engine is made by Tesla so most likely they are waiting for replacement. On Tesla forum you can read about a few cases of engine problems but it's a very small percentage. This could be an installation issue. Keep us posted on what the outcome will be.
By the way, I have Tesla and I am waiting for MB BEV. Can't wait, electric cars are so much fun to drive!

Well, the nav shows gas stations as points of interest. Not sure what that's about.

IMG_1849.JPG

Ferdball said:
Well, the nav shows gas stations as points of interest. Not sure what that's about.

Funny...that was one of my first thoughts on the drive home from the dealer. Such "points" are no longer "of interest" to me. (Somehow it seems appropriate that a new term should be coined for this.)

That right side view can be turned off, and the POIs that appear as icons on the map are selectable within one of the nav system menus.

I'm pretty sure they've just implemented the standard nav system and not given it any further thought. Have you seen anything that would suggest that the nav system has been tailored to an EV?

I've got an oil leak, and there's no way that a Mercedes technician will be able to fix this. It will get exchanged under warranty with a new motor. By the way, I had Tesla motor serial number 331 in my RAV4 EV, and it was replaced at 10k-15k miles for "the milling sound".

Very common issue. The oil leak, not so common:

Here is what the oil looks like:

imagejpg44.jpg

Ferdball said:
Is the form factor the same for the Tesla Model S 65 and 85 models? You could always ask for the upgrade? :)

Same as all the rear wheel drive Tesla Model S cars, plus Toyota Rav4 EV and this car.

The Tesla all-wheel-drive cars will have smaller motors front and rear, and the performance cars will use the same motor in the rear only.

sendler2112 said:
TonyWilliams said:
I've got an oil leak
Did you have to leave the car while they get the part?

No, don't have to leave the car, since it would take a few days to get the motor assembly here. But, they should be able to easily swap it in one day.

Ferdball said:
Sorry to hear, Tony. That sucks! How did you notice the oil leak? Sound, or the leak itself?

I was taking pictures of the bottom of the car (without the covers). No sound.

I got my car back today. It was ready last night, which is about 3 days earlier than they had estimated. So far it's running great.

tomt said:
I'm going to assume you mean motor since EVs don't have an engine...

From Wikipedia:

An engine or motor is a machine designed to convert energy into useful mechanical motion.[1][2] Heat engines, including internal combustion engines and external combustion engines (such as steam engines) burn a fuel to create heat, which then creates motion. Electric motors convert electrical energy into mechanical motion, pneumatic motors use compressed air and others—such as clockwork motors in wind-up toys—use elastic energy. In biological systems, molecular motors, like myosins in muscles, use chemical energy to create motion.

TonyWilliams said:
I've got an oil leak, and there's no way that a Mercedes technician will be able to fix this. It will get exchanged under warranty with a new motor. By the way, I had Tesla motor serial number 331 in my RAV4 EV, and it was replaced at 10k-15k miles for "the milling sound".

Very common issue. The oil leak, not so common:

Here is what the oil looks like:

imagejpg44.jpg

Tony:

I have the same fluid leak. I noticed a drip with car was parked on incline in driveway. Odometer at 1700 miles. Calling service tomorrow. How was your's resolved?

BCKator said:
TonyWilliams said:

Very common issue. The oil leak, not so common: [cut image]

Tony:

I have the same fluid leak. I noticed a drip with car was parked on incline in driveway. Odometer at 1700 miles. Calling service tomorrow. How was your's resolved?
Damn. I guess everyone should put an oil pan under their car in the garage. Wonder how many folks have leaks and don't even know it. Not good.

Dealer says I need a new axle seal.
Still wondering what the resolution was on Tony's leak.
Could have been the same thing and the fluid just ended up on the motor assembly?

BCKator said:
Dealer says I need a new axle seal.
Still wondering what the resolution was on Tony's leak.
Could have been the same thing and the fluid just ended up on the motor assembly?

They put a new seal on it.

Tony:

In your picture, the leak appears to be coming from the motor unit, right there where the electric motor attaches to (or is fused to) what I'll call the "gear assembly". Is that the same as the axle seal? I would have thought (perhaps wrongly) that the axle seal would be off to one side.

Funny, in a disappointing way, that I've owned multiple 100k+mi ICE cars (including a Lexus w/ +220k mi) that never left a spot on my driveway and that honor ends up going to my first EV.

Back