JeffRay

Re: Newbie to the B250e

Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:38 am

Alexakos,

I never did a full test but with my driving habits, when I fully charge using the range extender, the GOM says 96 most of the time, once in a while it read 100 miles. This is the GOM, not an actual run down test. Deduct 1/9th to calculate without range extender adding 10%.

In any case, I have learned to top up at every opportunity when the charge drops below 50%.
Jeff in NYC
MB '17 B250e; MB '06 E500W; MB '81 380SL

ALEXAKOS

Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:47 pm

Hmm
Thanx Jeff.
I too use every opportunity to charge up even when I am at 80%

Our home town offers free charging so I have been driving for over 2 years for free. ;)

I have a range of 100-120 km but I have never driven it at any other Mode than eco+

Quite frankly, I don’t need any other mode.
Only when we get freezing temperatures I use eco for the heating. Although I mostly precondition and the car is Never cold at start.

Electrons

Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:31 am

When I first got my B-class over 4 years ago, I also considered the BMW i3. It definitely seemed more efficient and high-tech. No doubt it is more efficient and lightweight, and gets a similar range compared to B-class despite having a smaller battery capacity. But the deciding factor for me was interior space. I could barely wedge my 2 kids’ car seats in the back of the i3, and the rear-facing infant seat wouldn’t fit except with the passenger seat adjusted all the way forward (even then, it was marginal). The back seat of the i3 is simply not useful for families. And despite the high-tech minimalistic look of the i3 interior, the B-class definitely has a step up to a more comfortable and conventional luxury look.

The lease on my second B-class ends this year. I have to say that I’m tiring of the very limited range, especially in winter. As much fun as it is strategize my charging and “play the game”, there have definitely been a few times when I haven’t been able to make a trip I would have liked to because the range was way too limited. I’m seriously considering a used Tesla to replace my B-class... Teslas with 85kWh batteries are now available for under $40k.
2016 Mercedes B250e
2014 Mercedes B-Class Electric Drive (totaled)
2012 Lexus RX450h Hybrid
2005 Honda Civic Hybrid (sold)

JeffRay

Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:31 pm

Electrons,

Hey there. Ditto as to your thinking between the two as my twins are now 13 (were 9 when I leased the 2014). They liked daddy's new rental car having found the rear seat of the roadster just a little snug.

So even I have watched a lot of YouTube videos on the T3 and will watch the T-Y. I spec'd out online the AWD no options at $47K. I sat in a Performance model my friend got last year and a six footer was in the back seat no issue. Videos suggest the boot is small. My lease runs out in November so the T3 is the only T option as I am not sure the T-Y is coming online in that time frame.

I am considering buying my B250e used either directly from the dealer or when it goes up on auction. Targeting a purchase price of $19K. Having used our car for an urban getabout, I am getting real good at managing regular top ups.

But the fun part is looking at all the offerings as they come up. Have seen the I-Pace and the Bolt. I had kept knocking my head when getting in/out of the I-Pace back seat but I won't be sitting back there. The Bolt is well a Chevy. Want to see the T-Y, the MB EQC and maybe the Hyundai Kona, although video reviewers say the back seat is like a sub-compact.
Jeff in NYC
MB '17 B250e; MB '06 E500W; MB '81 380SL

hallcp

Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:46 am

The I-Pace has arrived at my local Jaguar dealer (next door to the M-B dealer). I went over and sat in one. Yes, the roofline is way too low for easy entrance into the rear seats. Maybe if I was younger and more flexible I could deal with it, but this was a $90,000 car I was looking at.

Things like memory-front seats were an option! Front trunk looked comparable to a Tesla Model S, about like an i3 maybe. Rear cargo space looked OK, but no space beneath the trunk floor.

I guess my problem with it is that the size and performance are like a Model S, but the price is like a Model X.

I too wish M-B would focus on a new B-Class for their new EV, but I'm afraid it will be more like the I-Pace.

As disillusioned as I am by Dieselgate, if VW will ever actually make an EV it might be interesting. This news is promising:
"Volkswagen I.D. Hatchback pre-orders to start May 8 in Europe"

ALEXAKOS

Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:08 am

I agree what VW did was a shame with the diesel scam. Then again what is truly pure in our world?
The food we eat? the air we breathe or the news we read?? Just cause its not made another headline doesn't mean it's saint.

But quite frankly, the quality VW has is unbeatable! I was dealing cars in the past. The VWs with over 200K miles on them were as good as new, when all other brands had serious signs of wearing.

The Bolt or Ampera ist a range cheater. More of a hybrid than an EV. Plus they have massive technical issues. Not to mention the poor construction quality.

For now I fear that the I.D. is similar to the i3. (notice the same sounding when you pronounce it) :mrgreen:
VW will come with great EVs in the future. Looking at their "T" in EV release, I know the future, bright it is, in that one :)

I have put up my i3 for sale... Looking forward in getting my B with brown leather interior 8-)

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/deta ... ommend_DES

MikeP

Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:07 pm

I’ve been driving my 250e since just before Christmas and, apart from a crazy charging problem, it’s a superb car. I’m in the UK and the standard range I regularly achieve is between 60 and 70 miles, depending on ambient temperature. To extend the range, just switch into E+ mode and you get about 20% more with a consequential reduction in performance. I have used the booster occasionally too.
Compared with my CLS 350d it is a bit dull to drive and waddles owing to the weight of the battery pack. It’s old-fashioned comfort with good quality build that you would expect from MB. I love the regent paddles, and I drive using just this and the accelerator, only using the brakes to come to a stop.
Downsides? Only the slow charging rate, the Type 2 fast charger takes 5 to 6 hours to recharge from almost zero to full (80%) charge. That said, most of my journeys are less than 60 miles, so the limited range is not an issue.
But, if I leave the car plugged in to my Chargemaster fast charger, the 12 volt battery is flat in the morning. Despite much investigation, my local dealer seems unable to find the fault. Although, it could be the charger, but Chargemaster have been on site and tested their charger, giving it a clean bill of health.
Hope this helps, and I lease the car so I can return it when the EQC becomes available!

ALEXAKOS

Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:43 pm

Thanx Mike!
Did you say 5-6 hours for a full charge?

I thought the standard is 2,5-3 hours?!!

Can anyone second this fact?

rrattie

Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:58 pm

I think that depends on how many kW the charger is, on a 10kW charger 2-3 hours is good to go.. on many public chargers I've used at 6.6kW it would be more like 4 - 5.
--------------------
2014 South Seas Blue Metallic B-Class 250 ED

MikeP

Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:16 pm

Oh yes, sorry. My charger is 7 kW and yes, it takes 4 to 5 hours for a full charge.

Return to “Off Topic”