2014 b-class lease $199 - how far did your dealer got you?

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peralex1

Hi, everyone. Found out on mbusa a lease offer for $199 a month with 3900 down. Decided to take a ride to dealer and check the car. Everything was fine with the car - but once they started putting the deal together - it became apparent that those numbers are very far from reality. If any one leased 2014 - could you share the info? They do have a bunch of fancy words like - pay down, acquisition fees etc. they claim that you have to pay taxes on the total amount (I was under impression that you paying taxes on what you buying - monthly payments). Anyway - with $3993 down as they claim on MBUSA, instead of 199 (plus tax) I walked out with $302 plus tax. The car I was offered was 3000 more than one in the lease offer. They also took into consideration our state tax - 3000. So at the end the car would actually be more like $400 plus 3993 down. it sounds like a total rip off. am I missing something in this game? I would appreciate if someone could share their dealing with local dealers.

I did a bit of math and seems that dealer is not applying contribution that is described in MBUSA ad (it does have a stipulation that they can avoid that contribution partially or completely) - but why advertise it when no one will do it? I mean - I can understand that kind of fine print from some pyramid scheme - but from Mercedes? I guess the only question everyone baited for that deal should ask - what is dealer's contribution. The rest is math only

It all depends on how they play with the numbers. It is just a simple financial engineering they will do to trick.

Ask these basics and rest will be known to you whether or not they are giving a good deal.

MSRP: What is the total MSRP including all the options?
Gross Capital: What is the gross capital they are considering
Rebates: MSRP-Gross Capital = This is the secret number. How do you know whether or not they are giving minimum or medium of maximum? For 2014, they giving as high as $15K to $19K towards end of month offers. i.e If the MSRP is $49670, your gross capital amount will be around $30K.

They will have cash due at signing or initial amount. This ranges from $0-$4000 based on dealers, year of the model they are leasing, and # of miles that you want to lease (10K/yr or 12K/yr or 15K/yr). They will also have acquisition fee (from $0-$1000). This can be considered as a destination fee etc. Essentially, initial due+ acquisition fee are addl charges over and above the gross capital amount for lease. If they consider these in the gross capital amount, they will say that you are not being charged for anything else. This is tag, title, registration, tax (if any) etc. If you go for 36 months lease, they should consider a residual value or purchase option price at the end of the lease. Typically, that amount is kept at 45% to 65% depending on dealer, their financier, year of the vehicle, # of miles you want the lease per year etc. In case you consider residual value after 3 yrs at $21-$22k, your lease amount should be around $275 to $300/month.

If you end up paying more, your residual value should be less than $21-$22K after 3 years. Key is to find out the amount of rebate he applied.

Hope this helps

You are absolutely correct - "MSRP-Gross Capital=Dealer Contribution" is the number that they are trying to hide. They have some kind of worksheet that hides all that relevant info. I took all their numbers home and made a simple worksheet that shows me exactly their contribution. I also e-mailed salesman with a direct question - How much is a dealer contribution? On MBUSA website "suggested" dealer contribution is $7388. I guess key word is "suggested" that directly translates into how badly do they want to sell the car. That add did generate a lot of inquires - $199 for Mercedes! But as soon as real numbers shows up - that interest quickly vanishes. In my case they are holding back about $1730 that translates to close to $50 in monthly payment that would be close to $275 a month (very good estimate on your part Seaguls99!)

I would say dealers must be motivated to make a deal on 2014s, if they have any more inventory with them. Here is what a dealer posted in the east coast:

Manufacturer Offer
LEASE $199 per month for 36 months with $3,993 due at signing on the 2014 B-Class Electric Drive
$199 per month for 36 months
$3,993 cash due at signing
Applies to select new 2014 Mercedes-Benz B-Class.
Offer only valid 5-01-2015 through 6-01-2015

I was told that the all the rebates are maximum at this moment and will lose the amount that MB is offering to them. If the rebates are from manufacturer, dealers should be excited instead of letting them sit in their lot. Since they will not be losing money, hence should be motivated to make a deal.

Long story short.. Find a dealer that has inventory and strike a deal by tomorrow!.

I went through the same process when I saw the Lease deal on the 2014 model. Called multiple dealerships in the Bay Area and they gave me quotes way out of range of the deal. Some quoted $400 a month with $4K down. I ended up getting a True Car quote on a the fully loaded South Seas Blue Model with MB Tex Black interior to find out what the realistic price of the vehicle was. It came out to $38,859 on a car with a sticker price of $49,670. Then gave that quote to the dealer and told him to calculate capitalized cost from there. Here's the numbers breakdown of the model I ended up leasing from Mercedes Benz of Walnut Creek. Mercedes Benz of San Jose quoted me the exact same price. I'm not the best haggler but I think I made out okay.

2014 South Seas Blue Fully Loaded with exception of Range Package. Sticker Price 49,670.00

36 month lease with 20K miles a year.

$3500 Down (including tax and licensing and first month's payment)
$259 A month (including taxes)

Total Cost of ownership for 36 months: $12,565.00
Which amounts to $349.02 a month.

The only problem is, now that I've taken possession of the vehicle I'm getting the "Service Required Do Not Shift Gears Visit Dealer Message". Hoping the software update resolves that. But that's off topic.

Starshoes said:
I went through the same process when I saw the Lease deal on the 2014 model. Called multiple dealerships in the Bay Area and they gave me quotes way out of range of the deal. Some quoted $400 a month with $4K down. I ended up getting a True Car quote on a the fully loaded South Seas Blue Model with MB Tex Black interior to find out what the realistic price of the vehicle was. It came out to $38,859 on a car with a sticker price of $49,670. Then gave that quote to the dealer and told him to calculate capitalized cost from there. Here's the numbers breakdown of the model I ended up leasing from Mercedes Benz of Walnut Creek. Mercedes Benz of San Jose quoted me the exact same price. I'm not the best haggler but I think I made out okay.

2014 South Seas Blue Fully Loaded with exception of Range Package. Sticker Price 49,670.00

36 month lease with 20K miles a year.

The only problem is, now that I've taken possession of the vehicle I'm getting the "Service Required Do Not Shift Gears Visit Dealer Message". Hoping the software update resolves that. But that's off topic.
@Starshoes: I have good news for you ...

I think your deal is even better than you thought because you will get a $2500 check from California! You need to apply for it of course, and you will get your check in a few weeks after you submit your application.

That is a very good deal you described above. I leased my Nissan LEAF three years ago, 36 months lease, $3000 down, $250 per month, 15,000 miles per year. The MB B Class EV is a much better car than the LEAF!

Thanks for sharing your leasing info, I think I am going to lease one too now they are this cheap!

Question for all current owners: Does the B Class have any major technical issues? In particular, any issues with the drivetrain or battery? I recall some RAV4 EV had drivetrain issues, so how is the MB B Class? Also, any difference in quality or reliability issues between 2014 vs. 2015 model?

Tom, to your question none of the above. If you peruse the posts a number of annoying software gliches that will inevitably get resolved. Go for it.

I did some more reading and I think I am definitely interested in the 2014 Be.

Couple other questions:

Do you recall when is the last model year for this car? (e.g. I know RAV4 EV's last model year was 2014, and Mercedes' arrangement with Tesla is limited in time and number of units)

Is there a easy way we can lookup remaining 2014 inventories? I can view 2015 inventories, but not 2104s. Are there many 2014s remaining on both U.S. coasts?

I am in the SF Bay Area (south bay), and MB of Stevens Creek no longer had any 2014s. There were not that many 2015s on their lots either.

I am looking to lease a fully loaded 2014.

At mbusa.com they are still showing lease deals to the end of this month (for both 2014's and 2015's):

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/special_offers/current

Tom,

There are a bunch of west coast members who posted in this section. You can PM for their salesperson or you can hope they see your post. They are likely all out of 2014s but can acquire from MB inventory or other dealers and charge you for transport to your dealer or to you. MB-Manhattan is a company owned dealer. I checked their website but B-class is not a pick option! I can ask my salesguy if you can't find via google search.

I know the MB-Manhattan dealer pulled the 2014 off the showroom floor this month. If sold, don't know, it was there since before last November.

No intelligence I have seen as to their deal with Tesla. You might check Tesla's public filings.

Good luck.

Thanks Jeff ! I messaged one of the buyers above who is in the bay area, and am waiting for his reply. I hope there are still enough 2014s around such that they are willing to make a good deal.

I am hoping for total 3 year cost of around $260 x 35 + 3500, or $12,600 (w/15,000 miles per year)

I have another question about DC Quick Charge. It's my understanding RAV4 EV owners have a way of using the Chademo QC. Is this possible with the MB Be? Are people doing this? I do wish the MB Be had SAE quick charge like the e-Golf and i3.

As to MB B ED's deal with Tesla, my guess is it's for three or four years only, just like Toyota.

MB seems to be walking away from Tesla. In three years time this industry will be very different as battery prices continue to drop. Given recent Tesla's battery improvements, it's possible 2016 MB Be will have 10 to 15% better range. Likely 2016 or 2017 is the last model year for the Be. By then Tesla's Model 3 should be coming out with 200 mile range at about today's Be price point.

Correcting a post I made a couple weeks back. I spaced out said my lease was for 20,000 miles a year. It's not. It's 10,000 miles a year. Apologies. Here's the updated breakdown on my 2014 Lease.

36 month lease with 10K miles a year.

relative of mine just leased a nearly loaded one recently for 1k down, $390 monthly, 12k/36mo. socal dealer.

Just for comparison/reference:

Orange County, August 2015

Nicely equipped, Grey with Black MB Tex
Blind Spot Assist/Nav/Sat Radio/Collision Warning
Extended Charge Button
Keyless Start
Rain-sensing Wipers
etc
$ 49,???? MSRP

Medium Credit (580-630)
10K miles per year
$ 3000 TOTAL drive off
$ 353 TOTAL monthly payment with tax (36 months)
Supposedly also getting the $ 2,500 state rebate (finger's crossed)

VERY HAPPY if it all works out, I'll save the cost of the car in gas alone almost.

Just for comparison/reference:

Orange County, August 2015

Nicely equipped, Grey with Black MB Tex
Blind Spot Assist/Nav/Sat Radio/Collision Warning
Extended Charge Button
Keyless Start
Rain-sensing Wipers
etc
$ 49,???? MSRP

Medium Credit (580-630)
10K miles per year
$ 3000 TOTAL drive off
$ 353 TOTAL monthly payment with tax (36 months)
Supposedly also getting the $ 2,500 state rebate (finger's crossed)

VERY HAPPY if it all works out, I'll save the cost of the car in gas alone almost.

If you don't mind, which OC dealership did you get this from?

I've seen great deals posted from OC dealerships, much better than LA (where I am). I'm hoping to lease in the next few weeks. Doing my homework before I start negotiating.

Back