Anyone have instructions for changing the Cabin Air Filter?/

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
snowds said:
Confirmed with MBCC that both labor and parts are included for the "Annual Battery Certification Service". The annual certification service is required no later than 2 months after the placed-in-service date. Again, they said for the dealer to contact MB WSG with any questions.

I am confused - I bought my B-class last month - do you mean I need to get the battery service next month, or within 14 months from the placed-in-service date? Thank you for clarifying.

changed my cabin air filter. about 9 months old w/ 6,700 miles.
bottom half seemed pretty dirty compared to new filter.
used a Hengst filter.

snowds said:
Confirmed with MBCC that both labor and parts are included for the "Annual Battery Certification Service". The annual certification service is required no later than 2 months after the placed-in-service date. Again, they said for the dealer to contact MB WSG with any questions.

so now that this information is out there....

Has anyone had just the "Annual Battery Certification Service" done at no charge from their dealer?

With no other maintenance charges?

If it is no charge my plan would be to take it to them for this and do the other checks myself.

Stretch2727 said:
snowds said:

so now that this information is out there....

Has anyone had just the "Annual Battery Certification Service" done at no charge from their dealer?

With no other maintenance charges?

If it is no charge my plan would be to take it to them for this and do the other checks myself.

Yep, that's what I did. Told them I would do the checks and change the cabin filter myself, they did the battery certification for free, and I was out the door in two hours with a zero bill.

That's great snowds, and it is what I intend to do -- get battery certification for free. I've done WIX cabin air filter, Bosch ICON OEM wiper blades, and Mercedes windshield washer fluid myself. Other than checking the battery coolant (closed system -- shouldn't need maintenance) there isn't much else to "check". Brake pads should last 60k miles at least. Tires, I change to a winter set myself, marking the summers for front back rotation. Tire pressure, I do monthly, keeping up 44 psi cold.

I have been trying to get this issue cleared up with my service center and Mercedes Customer Care. I've been told three times that the desiccant filter is not covered. I keep insisting, but to no avail. I tried calling WSG, but it asks to prompt a dealer code. Do you happen to have a name of the MBCC rep you spoke with? Mine has been uncooperative and almost rude.

Keyes European in Van Nuys, CA just called me to apologize about the confusion and said that Mercedes is releasing a new document that explicitly states the desiccant cartridge replacement parts and labor are covered under the battery warranty. They are issuing a refund for the amount I paid for the filter and labor. Anyone who has paid for this should go back to the dealer and request a refund.

Please post it here and on Facebook! Thanks Steve for going through all of this so that it might go easier for those who do it after you. I am due around January 1st (Inspection time).

StevePL any idea where I can find this document? My dealer is telling me it is a paid service.

I took my B-Class in 12/21/15 for the Recall software and Battery Certification. Happy to report that Jose Mena, my service advisor at Mercedes of Nanuet, NY, called me back to confirm that the entire service visit will be free of charge, except for the NYS Yearly Inspection ($10). Software Recall and Battery Certification only, no other optional services. Although I lost my composure a bit on the phone with Mercedes Customer Assistance Center, I will say that Jose Mena was polite and did not challenge my position that it should be no charge to the customer. He was very professional and for that I am grateful.. I do not appreciate the manufacturer making it so hard on us! They have to order the desiccant cartridges even though I told them to order them in advance last week. Whew! Maybe next year's certification will go a little more smoothly......

Earlier notes:

On the phone 45 minutes so far -- with Mercedes CAC (Customer Assistance Center) in Headquarters NEW JERSEY -- Jonathan M. is very helpful, and apparently they are able to see notes from other owners and the other agent Debbie A. (Debra A.) has notes regarding this dispute in the past. What a hassle. My Nanuet, NY dealership was going to charge me between $250-$550 (estimated) but they had a lot of other services in there -- like Check Horn, Check Turn signals, etc.

stevepl said:
.... said that Mercedes is releasing a new document that explicitly states the desiccant cartridge replacement parts and labor are covered under the battery warranty. They are issuing a refund for the amount I paid for the filter and labor. ...

If someone has reference to this documents please post here. Thank you.

I'd also like to get my hands on some documentation stating that the desiccant cartridge replacement parts and labor are covered under the battery warranty. My dealership, MB of San Francisco, insisted back in December that it was not covered. I had them do the free battery maintenance service and declined the $600 worth of additional service they wanted to do. I can change the desiccant cartridge myself if need be, but I'd rather hold the dealership accountable to what the manufacturer promises.

The documentation is the battery warranty addendum (2014 models) or in the manual itself 2015 & 2016 models. But, to convince the dealer ( service dept) you have to call Mercedes CAC ( Customer Assistance Center) and get them to call the dealership on your behalf. Feel free to mention my name William Tzouris and they can find those notes.

Instructions for the cabin filter:

1) When you open the passenger door the light bulb under the glove box lights up. A little masking tape on that helps.

2) There are two black tabs underneath the glove box next to the firewall. You can push up on them quite easily but you want to pull them down towards you. I was paranoid about breaking something but don't worry. Pull down on them. The door falls away easily off its hinges.
qn2x6r.jpg

3) Reach into the opening and wiggle the old filter out. My OEM one was a Denso and I think the plastic along the lower edge is a bit wider than the replacement one I purchased on Amazon. It eventually came out. After 29 months and 23,000 miles of use, it looked pretty good. I probably could have shaked it out clean and reused it but I have the replacement.
33lchzn.jpg

4) Push the replacement up into the cavity, set the hinges back into their slots and then push the door shut until you hear it clip.

It's pretty easy once you realize you just pull down on the black clips.

I used the Mahle LAK879. It is available from Amazon.com or Rock Auto for about $33 shipped.

Back