Becker Map Pilot

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soetomo

Becker Map Pilot supposed to be a standard (not optional) feature, according to MB web site. Apparently my car doesn't have the glovebox-mounted module, when I found out that the navigation doesn't work. I contacted my dealer and he said it costs me $600 to install it. I thought this doesn't make sense, it comes as standard feature but I still have to pay more in order to make it work. Who's correct? Or am I making a wrong assumption, please help.

I pasted from the website regarding this Map Pilot feature:

Becker® MAP PILOT
Standard
MAP PILOT is an advanced voice-controlled navigation system that fully integrates with your car's standard 5.8-inch color screen, multifunction display, central controller and steering-wheel controls. Vivid maps include charging station locations along your route and lane guidance before a turn. Lifetime service from the Traffic Message Channel (TMC) and Becker's 45-day "fresh map guarantee" are included, and the removable glovebox-mounted module is easy to update via the Web.

Thanks.

Everything that I have read certainly indicates that it is a standard and included feature. I think a call to MB is in order... If it is, in fact, not standard, it would certainly seem that there is some truth in advertising considerations...

tomt said:
Everything that I have read certainly indicates that it is a standard and included feature. I think a call to MB is in order... If it is, in fact, not standard, it would certainly seem that there is some truth in advertising considerations...
It is listed as an option, not sure what lead you to think that it was standard other than it comes with a built-in port for the Becker module.

Personally I think you'd be better off with voice controlled GoogleMaps on SmartPhone or a Garmin. A friend who owns a CLA was not pleased with the usability of the Becker Map Pilot, but we're SW developers so crummy Touch interfaces and Voice control piss us off quicker than most humans. The Toyota Touch interface (large targets easily found without looking by feeling the frame around the screen as a guide) is the only GUI I would recommend to someone who actually wants to drive without getting in an accident trying to use his touch screen. The Mercedes dial works OK, but still takes some getting used to and requires that you look at the screen a lot. It would be much better if it had an audio feedback option, but that might require a lot of memory on the system.

tomt said:

Thanks for the tip, I was going to make the call today, lo and behold, the dealer called me and apologized. He said, I was correct and apparently the module was still on the way and should be there this Saturday. They got the car just about 3 weeks ago, so everything was new according to him. He didn't even know that it's standard, not just the bracket but also the module itself.

padamson1 said:
tomt said:
It is listed as an option, not sure what lead you to think that it was standard other than it comes with a built-in port for the Becker module.

Personally I think you'd be better off with voice controlled GoogleMaps on SmartPhone or a Garmin. A friend who owns a CLA was not pleased with the usability of the Becker Map Pilot, but we're SW developers so crummy Touch interfaces and Voice control piss us off quicker than most humans. The Toyota Touch interface (large targets easily found without looking by feeling the frame around the screen as a guide) is the only GUI I would recommend to someone who actually wants to drive without getting in an accident trying to use his touch screen. The Mercedes dial works OK, but still takes some getting used to and requires that you look at the screen a lot. It would be much better if it had an audio feedback option, but that might require a lot of memory on the system.

It wasn't listed as an option for B-Class ED, and that what the dealer thought in the first place. He corrected it today. Yes, I also think using Garmin is still better solution. I argued for it since it's free (i.e. standard) and I don't want to be an issue at the end of the lease when the dealer asked for it.

I just want to update, I got the Becker Map Pilot module and it was an easy installation. I used it on the way home, and yes, it's not worth $600, comparing to a nice Garmin that is less than that price. But I'll take it for free ;) I saw icons of the charging stations, I'll check more the accuracy once I have more time. Also I'll post regarding the Traffic Message etc.

Not a big fan of Navi in general, the Map Pilot is OK though. It definitely got me where I asked it to get me, and has voice control where you say the whole address at once - as long as the State is set correctly. I *can* drive to another state with this thing, but I need a charger to get back home... :roll:

Map pilot is definitely standard & included.

Back