Can't charge?

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lukeetal

We got our B class three days ago so I am new at this but not a novice by any means. I am electrician so I installed our Seimens 30amp charger last night. Everything went great and quickly. After just over 2 hours the car was full charged. So today we went on a outing that included a chargepoint. I started the charge and confirmed that the charger was connected and we went shopping. 2 hours later and the charge didn't charge. Wierd but I must have done something wrong, right? We get home and the same thing.. Car shows a connected but not charging. I do a bit of troubleshooting and try going back to the level 1 charger to no avail. I call support using the ibutton but there best suggestion was drive a bit and try again. If that fails it's time for a tow. So I went to a charging station I have used before.. Same issue. Connects but doesn't charge. Call again wondering if there is anything I can do and they say have it towed.

Big questions are:
1) what caused this? Faulty wiring at charge point?
2) how can I prevent this from happening again?
3) anything I can do before Monday to fix?
4) suggestions on how not to totally loose my mind freaking out all weekend would be great!

Thank you in advanced!

The charger is supplied by Tesla. On the RAV4 EV forum there have been a few users with charger problems. About the only thing you can try is removing 12V power for a minute to clear any errors. THIS ALSO CLEARS THE SERVICE CODES!

This is so tempting. But I can't do that to the service tech. The code probably holds the key. I checked all the fuses. The hidden fuse directory doesn't list the larger (system?) so I checked them as well with an ohm meter. I am willing to bet a system reboot would solve the problem. But I can't see doing something that might void the warranty on a car that is 3 days old.

Hoping someone else will have a suggestion. I tried factory resetting the charge limit settings to no avail.

Fixed! Well kind of...

There are 5 pins and sleeves involved in the J1772 connection. Three are the power two are communication.

One of the pins for commmunication bent. I am assume and will confirm that the chargepoint I used earlier today was messed up. I had trouble connecting the car. It felt light it was a new connector getting its first use. I think that is when the pin got bent. Using a small screw driver and a lot of slow careful adjustment I straightened the pin enough to resolve the issue. I will still have to have the female end of the j1772 replaced but problem solved for the weekend!!!!

If I can figure out how to upload a photo I will!

Unpleasant surprise to come back after two hours and no charge. Suggest you use the MB (or EVAccess app if Android user) or Chargepoint app to inform you if your car is charging. I usually monitor initially and every hour or so afterwards.

JeffRay said:
Unpleasant surprise to come back after two hours and no charge. Suggest you use the MB (or EVAccess app if Android user) or Chargepoint app to inform you if your car is charging. I usually monitor initially and every hour or so afterwards.

Waiting for VVC from dealer, it's been almost a week. I had to explain to them what it was and why I need it. Also waiting for cards from chargepoint so I had no way to check in on the charging.

Re pin 5: dealership ordered replacement from Germany. E.T.A. To replacement of bend pin 3-4 weeks. Nice welcome to the EV world on day two of owning the car but glad I was able to duct tape together a fix in the interim.

Back