Coolant pump: "Without starting engine again..."

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hallcp

The other day I got the dreaded "Without starting engine again, visit workshop" message, slong with severely decreased performance. Notice the crazy low E-Cell reading in the image.
err-without_restarting.jpg

My best guess is that the car put itself in "limp home" mode when it detected a fault. There's a huge existing thread on this message, with all sorts of different solutions, so I think it's a pretty generic error and doesn't really narrow down the fault. Nevertheless I thought my experience might be useful for others, especially as I drive a 2014 and owners of newer cars may see similar issues as your cars age.

In my case, the dealer found two codes:

- P1E0400, Coolant pump #1 malfunction
- U1963F1, Coolant flow in on board charger low

The B-Class has three identical electrically driven cooling pumps. #1 (N91/2) cools the charger/inverter, #2 and #3 cool the battery. It's all still somewhat of a mystery since the pump apparently passed some sort of test, but they replaced it just to be sure. Once again I am impressed by the local M-B dealer's thoroughness. But I feel like I made the right decision in purchased a 3-year extended warranty a month ago!

As near as I can tell, the pump retails for $187 on-line, and it looks like you have to remove the front bumper(!) to install the thing, so this would have been a $700+ repair I'll bet.

Charles,

Good post. BTW, if I recall, you bought used? If so, the extended warranty is very useful. Can you post or bump the info on extended warranty so other buyers of used, (like me), can look into getting one to cover things like coolant pumps! Who knew?

Back