Newbie Question: E-CELL ???

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Winter range varies drastically. Here in CT, dead of the winter I'd say we've hit 70-75 miles round trip at the max. Never hit reserve or turtle mode but that is the comfortable limit with the a full range charge and the car starting the trip from our garage. Figure we get home with 12-15% something like that.

What you can't do is string 70 miles of short trips, stopping and letting it cool off along the way. Each stop of more than a couple minutes results in a lot of energy being used to reheat the cabin and assumingly the battery.

For fun we look it for a 24 mile trip in single digit temps one night. It used a shocking amount of charge. Like near or just above 1 mile to KWh.

I'm comfortable with saying I could "guarantee" 68-72 miles of range on the worst winter days with range charge (NYC area). It's like somebody flips a switch in winter, the car has only 65% of the range of summer. I try everything, indoor garage, pre-conditioning, etc. My commute is 28-31 miles each way./ 58-62 miles total.

With a light foot, I can pretty much count on 100 miles on a 28kWh charge, so when that 65% "switch" goes off in winter, I could make do with ~65 miles of range. We had a mild winter last year and not much snow, hope that happens again this year.

Back