RANGE NOT AS ADVERTISED

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never pay attention to the GOM, it is 10-20 miles off the actual range of the car. I typically get 2.7-3.2 mpkWh in the summer. 90-105 miles range, 28 kW charge.

Do you reset all your screens, e.g Odometer, From Start and From Reset?

What is your mpkWh rating in the From Start setting after driving 25-50 miles?

A few things have been concluded over the last few months of charging and driving the car every day.

1) It is VERY hard to get the car anywhere near the advertised range of over 100 miles, on "overcharge", and nearly impossible using Level I (110 vlt) charging.

2) The A/C is spectacular and it's heavy use makes seemingly no difference in electric range.

3) You can go at least 2 additional miles (maybe many more) beyond the ZERO (----) reported on range remaining.

4) The longer the drive, the more consistent the driving style, the less a RESET changes the estimated range.

5) The car has left me stranded more than once due to it's "not as advertised" range.

6) I love the car!

zipzapzoom said:
A few things have been concluded over the last few months of charging and driving the car every day.

1) It is VERY hard to get the car anywhere near the advertised range of over 100 miles, on "overcharge", and nearly impossible using Level I (110 vlt) charging.

5) The car has left me stranded more than once due to it's "not as advertised" range.

6) I love the car!

Hi zzz,

I don't yet own a MB ED, but have been researching. I have driven an EV before (a Ford Ranger EV about 10 years ago, which had a reasonably accurate range meter). Your experiences have given me pause as far as the MB goes.

Question: when you say the car left you stranded, was that due to it actually shutting down, or only the Range Remaining / GOM showing ---?

Second question: have you or MB checked for things that would waste energy on the car, such as low tire pressure, wheel misalignment, or even a dragging brake pad?

It is a lovely car. I have test driven one and talked extensively to a local owner about his experiences (100 miles being possible even without the range extender button on his).

Hi Bromeo

Hi zzz,

I don't yet own a MB ED, but have been researching. I have driven an EV before (a Ford Ranger EV about 10 years ago, which had a reasonably accurate range meter). Your experiences have given me pause as far as the MB goes.

Question: when you say the car left you stranded, was that due to it actually shutting down, or only the Range Remaining / GOM showing ---?

Second question: have you or MB checked for things that would waste energy on the car, such as low tire pressure, wheel misalignment, or even a dragging brake pad?

It is a lovely car. I have test driven one and talked extensively to a local owner about his experiences (100 miles being possible even without the range extender button on his).

I drove every make of EV on the market (at the time, last July) before deciding on the B Class so I understand your concern.

When I say stranded I mean, had to be towed to my home to be recharged.

The car has been to the dealer twice - with "No Problem Found" each time.

I've NEVER gotten 100 miles, especially without the overcharge button.

It's funny you mention the stuck brake pad, I had a brand new GL450 the month they first came out and LOVED that car soooo much. I was getting horrible MPG, but figured it was due to the weight of the car and the FWD/AWD. About 16,000 miles into it, I had to replace ALL 4 BRAKES.

I fought with the dealer, fought with MB and NEVER got any resolution. Ironically, the Distronic system had been engaging the brakes at ALL TIMES while driving!! That was thousands of dollars I'll not see again. Later, we spent thousands on replacing the A/C system when the car was less than 2 years old. Turns out, at the time, the GL was so new that they hadn't figured out that by placing two huge A/C fresh air intakes FACE UP on the hood debris, soot and tree needles might fall into the system since there was NO SCREEN at all. They blamed us saying that "it's just like a house, you have to clean the gutters every year". A retrofit for the GL solved the design flaw, but not until it cost me $ 5,500 for a new A/C system that MB refused to cover under warranty. I never got any satisfaction for either issue; and when I traded the car for a BMW years later it was bitter-sweet. I know this is off topic, but the current MB challenge reminds me of the uphill battle we face with large automakers who use paying customers as beta testers.

Back