Which EVSE for the B Class?

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akf757

Hi - new to the forum and the B Class. I looked around and found another thread(s) on which EVSE to buy but my circumstances are a bit different. I am looking for advice on which EVSE to buy for a leased B Class that will be replaced with a Tesla in 2 years.

I don't want to over buy. It's a lease. I get a "super off peak" rate from 11pm to 5am. I need something adequate to charge in 6 hours or less with a timer or delay start option. Most importantly, I am looking for the least expensive option to fit my needs.

I currently have a Leaf (for sale) on which I upgraded the stock charger to 220V (EVSE upgrades) so I have a NEMA 6-20 outlet in the garage (I think I wired it for 30 amps, will have to verify) so input wont matter too much.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

TIA Andy

Check out the offerings from Siemens. Mine was reasonably priced and has the ability to set the max current. It also has a timer I think.

You can get an EVSE with 6-20 plug that charges at 16 Amps/240v. That is 3.8 kW. The B-class can do up to 10kW. Your 6-20 outlet is most likely on a 20 Amp breaker so this is the safest way to go unless you are getting an electrician to put in a 14-50R outlet on a 50 Amp breaker. That is what you want for Tesla. Nonetheless 16 Anp L2 will charge 8-10 miles per hour so going from 30% to %100 state of charge is about 5-7 hours. You can get an EVSE like this for $349/ free shipping, contact me if you can't find them. No timer on this model I am talking about.

The ultimate is the JESLA (buy from www.quickchargepower.com) which is a modified TESLA UMC charger, you can have it modified back to a Telsa connector in two years. It has a 14-50P plug and a J1772 connector. Again, no timer.

Thanks for all the advice! I am leaning toward the Siemens as I like the delay to start charging. Looks like I can get the 30 amp Versacharge for $400 delivered.

A related question - I do have a 20 amp breaker installed but I think I future proofed it by running 10 gauge wire (knowing someday I'd upgrade). It's been three years so i'd have to look - but if it's 10 gauge wire can I just swap in a 30 amp breaker and install a NEMA 6-50 in place of the twist lock 6-20???? Or do I need to step it to a 40 amp break and run bigger wires?

Thanks in advance!!!

If you have to run wires I'd run 6ga to be prepared for the 50A breaker when needed. You can plug the Siemens in using this with a 40a breaker today and swap the breaker for a 50a later.

The Siemens is a 30 charger but needs a 40a breaker and 8ga wire at the minimum.

There are 24a chargers you can run off a 30a breaker and 10ga wire also out there. Clipper Creek maybe. JESLA will also run at this rate with a 14-30 plug attached.

If you are thinking Tesla model3 (as am I for early 2018) expect a 10kw charger so you'll want to be ready for 50a with 6ga wire.

I agree with what TheStig said, 6 gauge and a 50 Amp Breakers to be ready for the Tesla, but if you have only 10 gauge right now there are some 16 Amp and 24 Amp options. If you have a 6-20 outlet already on a 20 Amp breaker, just run an additional 6 gauge wire and 50 Amp breaker --( keep both options.)

JESLA adjusts from 100 to 250 volts and 12 to 40 amps, automatically. You don't have to know anything about electricity and no installation required.

If you have a limitation of wiring, you could just use a 16 amp plug (NEMA 5-20) at any voltage from 100 to 250 volts. JESLA won't overload your household circuit, even with that big 40 amp onboard charger in your B-Class ED.

Just Plug-N-Charge(tm)!!!

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JESLA-is-THE-40-amp-J1772-portable-charging-solution-JESLA.htm

#10 wiring is good for 30A. You can not use a 14-50 since that requires at least a 40A circuit with at least #8 wire.

You can use a 24A EVSE on a 30A circuit. An EVSE must have a derated circuit. 24A is 80% of 30A. A 40A circuit is good for 32A and a 50A circuit is good for 40A. Currently only cars with a Tesla charger like the B charge at 40A. Everything else is 30A or less.

Our B Class cars follow the J1772 spec so you can use a lessor EVSE. 40A EVSE's cost big bucks and require #6 wiring. If you have the time available for over night charging a 30A EVSE is hundreds less.

I charge with an OpenEVSE at 40A with a Quick Charge cable since I had to replace my panel and I used my 30A cable on another EVSE that I sold so the upgrade cost was small.

So to make sure we are all on the same page, when GlennD says "#10 wiring is good for 30A." He means 30 Amp Breaker, but you are only good for UP TO 24 Amp charging. You need that extra 20% capacity for safety.

With your existing wiring , look for Level 2 chargers that charge up to 24 Amp rate, there are a lot of 16 Amp chargers, which add about 9 miles of range per hour. 24 Amp L2 adds about 14 miles of range per hour. There are lots of options. Try Amazon and eBay, and www.quickchargepower.com.

wtzouris said:
So to make sure we are all on the same page, when GlennD says "#10 wiring is good for 30A." He means 30 Amp Breaker, but you are only good for UP TO 24 Amp charging. You need that extra 20% capacity for safety.

With your existing wiring , look for Level 2 chargers that charge up to 24 Amp rate, there are a lot of 16 Amp chargers, which add about 9 miles of range per hour. 24 Amp L2 adds about 14 miles of range per hour. There are lots of options. Try Amazon and eBay, and http://www.quickchargepower.com.

Correct, A 30A circuit should have a 30A breaker and a 30A max receptacle. The maximum current is 80% or 24A. The NEC considers an EVSE a continuous load so it must be derated. That is the reason that the OpenEVSE 30A kit is only good for 24A.

An OpenEVSE is adjustable in 2A steps so it would work. I think Clipper Creek offers 24A EVSE's.

Back