FordAnglia

Re: Heated windshield replacement??

Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:25 am

Greetings,

Sorry to read about windshield damage on your B250e. I noticed the windshield in mine has a slight pink tint which I've not noticed on other vehicles.
I don't have an electrically heated windshield, is that an option?

I'm surprised that an electrically heated windshield is available on an EV, due to the high current draw. My B250e has an electrically heated rear window and there are warning messages in the Owner's Manual about not using it more than necessary, and that it may not activate (or switch off early) if the 12V Battery is not sufficiently charged.

I do need to defrost the inside of the windshield on cold mornings, and doing so sets the blower to high speed. The air never feels warm, not surprising for an EV (ICE vehicles has an abundance of hot water...) On a cold morning my range drops fast, again not surprising for an EV.

Best of luck in getting a replacement and insurance coverage, please post a follow up.

Peter,
2017 B250e Jupiter Red

AndrewHunter

Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:28 am

Going to the mechanic would surely save many dollars for having rv windshield replacement.

PatricioEV

Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:33 am

The heated windshield does have a pink hue to it and is included in the range package. If it's pink, it's heated. There is no separate button for it, it operates with the defrost. Personally, I've found the climate control in the B to be superior to any other vehicle I've owned (including other MB), but then again, I live in Texas so I use the AC far more than the heat. The AC will freeze you out! I keep mine at 76 and it's still usually too cold.
'16 B250e
'12 LEAF - sold after 7 years and 95k miles
'98 ZX2 - home DC/lead acid EV conversion - sold 2 years after conversion

Austin, TX

FancyGolfCart

Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:18 am

I ended up driving my B with a cracked halfway across heated windshield for 2 years to avoid the repair cost.

Finally replaced this week. Local windshield repair (in Los Angeles, CA area) had a heck of a time sourcing it. Ended up going with a non-heated after market Pilkington brand. ($700 installed)

No more fancy MB pinkish/orange tint (or heating element). :(

WantOne

Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:16 am

Wow. I replaced mine about 2 years ago with auto insurance. The shop literally have to order the parts through MBUSA and ship them from Germany (if i remember correctly) and that was somewhere about $700-$800 with 3 weeks worth of wait.

It’s bad that they don’t source parts anymore. Which just means we have to be very careful on these B class!

Glad to know yours is fixed after all!

JeffRay

Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:54 pm

Yep, exactly the second reason I did not pick up my gently used B250e when the lease ended. The first one was price. Who knew that the pandemic would curtain my driving mileage too.

Enjoy the ride folks. Am watching the new offerings come out and am deciding if I really need a 300 mile range EV or not.
Jeff in NYC
MB '06 E500W; MB '81 380SL
Retired: MB '17 B250e; MB '14 Be

WantOne

Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:29 pm

So true Jeff. Keep us posted once you end up on another sexy ride. With my luck I’m probably resetting my 5 year counter with this b class!

Return to “Technical Discussions”